Contribute
Register

Guide - Fusion Drive using tonymacx86 Tools & Chimera

@swinte: Same behavior here. The Boot partition on the SSD is still there, but the Boot partition on the HD was deleted and a Recovery partition was added there instead.
So far I didn't see any problems with this, except that my scripts for updating Chimera on the Boot partitions didn't work anymore.

Okay, glad to hear I'm not the only one seeing this behavior. I left the recovery partition alone and updated just the boot partition on the SSD and everything is working great.

I would be very interested in a quick quide on how to upgrade to Yosemite when having a Fusion Drive setup.
I did my installation more than a year ago and didn't take a lot of notes...
Can you list the steps you used?

Thanks!

Sure thing, glad to share my experience here. Please note that this is using Chameleon since that is what I'm most comfortable with--at some point it looks like I'll need to move to Clover to get iCloud working.

To start, I made a backup of my org.chameleon.Boot.plist in case the "rd=uuid boot-uuid=XXX" line got overwritten during my upgrade (it did).

Then I followed the "standard" procedures for installing Yosemite, pointing Yosemite's installer to my Fusion drive when booted from the Unibeast USB stick. Specifically, I followed the install guide for my motherboard at http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...8ma-d2h-b3-evga-gtx650-working-dsdt-free.html but this generally mirrors the "official" guide at http://www.tonymacx86.com/445-unibeast-install-os-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html.

After Yosemite is installed boot into Yosemite using your Unibeast USB stick and install Multibeast to match your motherboard's settings.

Once Multibeast is installed, confirm your org.chameleon.Boot.plist still has the "rd=uuid boot-uuid=XXX" line (mine had been overwritten). Fix this if needed.

Now refer back to the original post in this thread and follow the steps starting at the line "The task ahead is to make the Fusion Drive bootable." One change to the original instructions: since the Yosemite installer has converted the boot partition on the hard drive to be a restore partition you will want to skip all steps in the examples referring to disk2 so that the new restore partition is maintained (i.e. you are only making changes to the SSD's boot partition).

Remove USB stick and reboot.

One note, I missed one of the steps the first time through and upon reboot I was met with a "can't find mach kernel" error. In that scenario, simply boot from the USB drive and run through the steps again. Everything worked fine the second time.

Guide - Fusion Drive using tonymacx86 Tools & Chimera, waiting for root device, nothing helps

Hi,
I am completely frustrated, spent now a week trying everything, and the booting from the FusionDrive is always hanging with "Waiting for root device".

I tried everything I could find, alone and in combinations:
PCIUID=0
npci=0x3000
rd=uuid boot-uuid=<Logical Volume UID>
Removing HDMI Audio using Chameleon Wizard
using rd=disks3
PCIROOT=1

The situation in my case: I had since May a working machine with FusionDrive and Mavericks, although same strange effects (no display port after wake).
Meanwhile I think the reason for the effect was the improper installation on the FusionDrive.
I had created it based on another guide, I don´t know anymore from which site, but very similar.
However, it did NOT talk about the copying of the boot sectors from the i386 folder to the boot partitions, had never done this, still Mavericks bootet.

After the installation of Yosemite, I got "/mach_kernel" not found error, realized finally that my Chameleon still showed May 2014 and was obviously not updated by Multibeast.
So I finally found this thread and realized why.

No I have numerous times updated the org.Chameleon.boot.plist, updated the boot file and copied all as described to the mounted OX X boot partition of the first drive (SSD) of my Fusion Drive.
The Recovery partition that Yosemite installer created is untouched.

The boot stalls always after an IODEVICE waiting message, listing that it waits for "boot-uuid-media".
I guess it is not relevant, but that appears when the Ethernet Intel Driver is loaded.

I ran out of ideas now, any help is appreciated. I really hate the idea of destroying the FusionDrive setup again, also because I fear losing data with the restore process from the backup.
I found on another site notes about AHCIPortInjector.kext or LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext usage, but as I am not used to kext injections, I hesitate.

I meanwhile inserted another HDD into a slot and installed Yosemite. This works, can boot with my BIOS settings, no problem. Just the FusionDrive with my real programs and data on it strikes.

Here is my chameleon plist and below my distill cs list output, maybe there is still a mistake that I don´t spot, I appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,
Toni

Update 1. Nov:
After making the changed to the boot partition with the described method, I now re-ran the complete Yosemite installation process from the USB stick. It does not get stopped by the waiting for root device anymore, but shows other strange behaviors like issues with suhelperd process etc., described in other threads.
My conclusion is, that the setup with the FusionDrive is very vulnerable. Even when it works in general, there are side effects that can drive you crazy. For instance, after wake from sleep, my DisplayPort monitor stayed dark. Doing a test on the same system with simple other HDD, I as able to install Yosemite without any problems, and all other issues like missing Audio devices, DisplayPort issues are all gone, everything works. So I give up now. I will destroy the FusionDrive setup and reformat/partition and re-install Yosemite on the SSD, using the HDD as a separate volume. Too bad, I was excited about the combination of speed and space that the FusionDrive is offering.

Last edited:
I can't do the following command

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/disk0

it says:
fdisk: could not open MBR file boot0: no such file or directory

any ideas?
where is boot0? did you cd to the location of the boot0 file before typing the command? You must be in the same location as the boot0 file or specify the location in the command i.e. if the boot0 is located in /Volumes/USB/user/i386/ then either type in

fdisk /Volumes/USB/user/i386/boot0 -u -y /dev/disk0

or first type

cd /Volumes/USB/user/i386/

then type your original command

Hi,
I have problem in create fusion drive.
I have two clean disks:
Samsung SSD 850
WDC WD15EVDS-6
I follow the instructions from this thread but when i try create volume:
diskutil coreStorage createVolume <my UID> jhfs+ "MyFusionDrv" 100%
i get the error:
Error -69780 Unable to create a CoreStorage Logical Volume
I search the web but with no result.
Any help will be appreciated

Is there any way to restart system with fusiondrive with parameter nv_disabled=1 ?
After create fusion drive and clone disk i have disabled nvidia driver. I dont known why :( i try clone meny time and result always the same on the source disk nvidia work right. On clone fusion drive can not enable nvidia driver :(
I dont have idea whats wrong
Any help will be appreciated

Is there a manual how to reverse it? I want to go back and can't find how to disable it

thanks

So I have a weird problem. I recently installed a GTX 970 and now my fusion drive (created with this guide) doesn't work. It stalls at "Firewire (OHCI) now active." Tried everything, including totally redoing it anew. Still get the same error. The original clone hard drive works just fine with my 970 and everything updated.

The weirdest thing about the fusion drive is -x and -f do not work, even with the USB. Says it can't find the kernel. (Yes, the USB was created with UniBeast 5.1). Adding "kernel" to the boot flags does not work.

Back