Contribute
Register

Guide - Fusion Drive using tonymacx86 Tools & Chimera

irex01,

Your Fusion Drives must both be on the same speed interface, otherwise it is going to cause problems.
Also it is possible your drive's model/brand may not be compatible with FD. May I ask what make and model
of the SSD and HDs are you using for your build?

oh no no. i found what cause that error. i was stupid enough to try to create fusion drive when i am at Mountain Lion installation screen. that just doesnt work and gives that error. i have my ssd on 6gb/s port and HD on 3gb/s port :> just successfully create Fusion drive.

my hackintosh is still unstable so i have to wait to see b4 move it to my Fusion drive

I'm having difficulty getting Fusion Drive (FUD) working on my Hackintosh rig. I've since picked up a new WD 2TB Caviar Black to replace my Seagate 3TB Barracuda.

My Fusion Drive creates fine and I know it is operating well, because I have a custom theme for Chimera on Fusion and that loads upon startup. However, I can't boot into the Fusion Drive, I get a "Still waiting for root device" error. I can boot into the HDD that has Mac OS X installed that I used for creating the FUD.

Upon checking my "Boot OS X" drives, I see there is only "boot," no "boot1h." Don't know if that could be a problem, it'd be nice to check that drive against someone else's screenshot or something.

3 questions:

1. Is this strictly a 1ssd+1hdd setup? I currently have one Ssd for apps and os and two HDDs in raid 0. Can I setup fusion drive to see my raid 0 as a single HDD, and thus reap the benefits of both fusion and raid 0?

2. If the latter is possible, would I see a performance increase, or hard to say?

3. How does fusion jive with ramdisk? I have 16 GB ram and plan to use 8 of those in ramdisk. Would this not nullify the smaller 4gb write cache that fusion uses?

I tried to follow the instructions exactly, but still have a prob with my fusiondrive. At chimeira, I get this screen:

screen_1.jpg

When I first click on the left icon, and then start from the rescue drive, it takes about three minutes to boot, and afterwards I see, that the system has loaded from the fusiondrive.

My terminal-cs list shows this:

CoreStorage logical volume groups (1 found)
|
+-- Logical Volume Group F0D1A7F2-75F2-43FB-B0F1-378FDFD9AEBA
=========================================================
Name: Fusion Drive
Size: 1119551062016 B (1.1 TB)
Free Space: 90112 B (90.1 KB)
|
+-< Physical Volume 7ADFB2BE-2416-4806-A709-EFA555EBF941
| ----------------------------------------------------
| Index: 0
| Disk: disk0s2
| Status: Online
| Size: 119690149888 B (119.7 GB)
|
+-< Physical Volume C8A232A9-4BA9-4DE8-9C13-2DB5703DF6BE
| ----------------------------------------------------
| Index: 1
| Disk: disk2s2
| Status: Online
| Size: 999860912128 B (999.9 GB)
|
+-> Logical Volume Family 2D3B09D9-2F04-498A-A0A1-E21E9D1EEC7C
----------------------------------------------------------
Encryption Status: Unlocked
Encryption Type: None
Conversion Status: NoConversion
Conversion Direction: -none-
Has Encrypted Extents: No
Fully Secure: No
Passphrase Required: No
|
+-> Logical Volume 81BC2CBB-A596-4E8A-969F-651F6E3DAA3B
---------------------------------------------------
Disk: disk3
Size (Total): 1115072233472 B (1.1 TB)
Size (Converted): -none-
Revertible: No
LV Name: MyFusionDrv
Volume Name: MyFusionDrv
Content Hint: Apple_HFS

Where did I make the mistake? The bios doesn't seem to recognize the LV.

Senordickwiches & Blackholesun66,

There is a partial error with Neil's Fusion guide especially when it comes to copying the chameleon plist data. Please follow my guide here to correct it (and check if you have followed ALL steps correctly and exactly > http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...g-tonymacx86-tools-chimera-16.html#post519415

Thetrystero,

To answer your questions:

1) As far as we know yes it is only single SSD + HD using ONE PARTITION (as the CoreStorage Fusion Drive acts like a RAID anyway).

2) Nope wouldn't work.

3) As far as we know it has to be a proper SSD drive, not temporary RAM drive because the LV UUID used by CoreStorage for Fusion must be fixed number found at boot and cannot change at random (which is what would happen if you use a temporary RAM drive). Fusion Drive setup could probably use an installed mSATA flash card for this also (such as with Gigabyte/ASUS boards) but I haven't tried this so I don't know.

I want to do this, but I have a couple of questions first. 1) Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB SATA 6GB/s and Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR60GB 2.5" 60GB SATA III, compatible with this? And if they are do I need to partition the 2 TB into 2 halves, and then run this or can it be done with the OS already installed on the 2TB.

I want to do this, but I have a couple of questions first. 1) Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB SATA 6GB/s and Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR60GB 2.5" 60GB SATA III, compatible with this? And if they are do I need to partition the 2 TB into 2 halves, and then run this or can it be done with the OS already installed on the 2TB.

HellishHK117,

Looking at your SSD's specs (the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB) I wouldn't recommend using it. Because in my experience (and that of technical reports I've read) the write endurance or life of such drives <100GB is incredibly short when used for this purpose. So I would recommend using at least 240 or more for your setup.

Secondly there is no problem with using a 2TB or a half-size partitioned 2TB to 1TB drive. For instance I used a full Toshiba 2TB HD + full 240GB OCZ SSD for my setup (which is the ideal setting for OSX speed and access performance) - but you must remember when creating the Fusion Drive, all OS data whether on the HD or SSD gets wiped out. The only exception to this is with proper Mac drives, which normally has a Recovery HD partition on them - which is NOT wiped out during Fusion Drive creation.

You also need to remember this critical point - Fusion Drive only works with ONE combined partition on either drive. If you are going to use the full 2TB drive for Fusion, the instructions above from Neil and myself are not going to be problem. But if you are going to partition the 2TB HD drive into two you need to be wary of the commands you are using to create the Fusion Drive ie. you'll probably need to be using something instead like diskutil cs create "FUSION" disk0s1 disk1s1 assuming DISK 0 Partition 1 is your Fusion SSD and DISK 1 Partition 1 is your Fusion HD. And when it comes to copying of boot0 and boot1h files they'll need to be done on disk0s4 and not disk0s3 for instance. But use the diskutil list command to check nonetheless.

Thanks for the guide!

I followed all the steps as you suggested but when I try to boot it won't work... Booting with -v gives me Still Waiting for Root Device.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks for the help

EDIT:

Never mind, I got it working in the end. I had made a mistake with the UUID.

I'm now writing this from my fusion drive hackitosh :) Keep up the good work

Thanks

I followed this very simple guide and I am not booted inside a 2.1TB Fusion drive. This guide was AMAZING. I don't think I have ever had such a smooth transition before. This was just as simple as setting up RAID. Neil brav-****ing-o on this guide. Superb.

Literally not a single hiccup.

Back