Contribute
Register

Guide for RAID-0 on OS X 10.8.5 using tonymacx86 tool set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help, I have followed the guide to a T and my system gets stuck at boot0:done

Any thoughts on where I can look? Keep in mind I am new to hackintosh building.

On a side note, I am able to now boot to the raid using the multibeast installer drive!

Neil,

When Apple releases an incremental update, say 10.9.1, will I have to repeat the process to create the RAID-0 disks after applying the upgrade? Or will it apply uniformly to both the disks in the array?

I'm trying to understand the level of effort, both now and in the future, to setup RAID.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Neil,

I must be missing something here. I followed your directions, but when I reboot I only get to a non-Chameleon boot screen where I have a choice to boot either my first or second RAID array disk:

hd(0,3) OSX
hd(1,3) OSX 2

(Note that it named my second raid member OSX2). Is there a step missing? Do I need to add the RAID Array ID (boot-uuid=blah)to the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist? Do I need to mark a different partition active with Fdisk? I have installed the 3 needed Chameleon boot files (boot, boot0 and boot1h) manually per your instructions.

Any help you could render would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Jeff

Dear Neil,

Thank you a Million for your Guide.

I just got Bios UEFI Ebios Error countdown and no boot at all,

I update EFI partition also with copy boot and boot1h to it, and after it boot like a charm.

I do not understand why i have to update also EFI partition but it was the solution for me.

My config Z87 HD3, and 2X HDD WD 1To Black in Raid0 for boot.

MM.

Soo... you can't open osx installer, use disktool to make raid-0 and just install straight to that stripe?

Because that is exactly what I did.. And yes I have a trouble to boot without usb-flash-bootmanager

I have threat about it here: link

also if I use THIS method...if I understood correctly... IF I have 4 ssds and I install os x on first one and make raid-0 from 3 others.... I lost the first one from raid array right?

So if I want all four ssds on same raid array I have to have 5th ssd?

I think creating raid-0 array at first place and installing system on that and using usb-flash as bootmedia would be a better idea?

Just a follow up post.

I am still using RAID 0 sets on my systems as the system boot drive. I have updated from ML to Mavericks without rebuilding the RAID sets.

And yesterday I updated using the combo update from 10.9.1 to 10.9.2. I updated the RAID 0 sets directly and then went back in and did the roll back on the audio. I did this on the three machines that are my primary workstations. The other 4 systems that I updated do not have RAID system drives.

I will re-run the guide using today's software tools and update it if necessary.

Good modding
neil

I created a two drive RAID 0 on a lab machine that had 10.9.2 already installed on a 120 GB SSD boot drive.

I down loaded today's Chimera 2.2.1 and extracted the boot files.

The guide was used as written (using 10.9.2 instead of ML).

The new RAID booted as expected.

Good to go....

neil

Neil,

Thank you for your further comments and leadership on the subject.

After upgrading to 10.9.2 with Multi_Beast 6.2.1 ( which just supports the system definition of MacPro6.1) , I still enjoy the smart-faster of RAID0 (PX-256M5S x 2).

----------------------------------------
But, one issue has come to me. Pls advise me how I should make the correction to solve this issue.

- As long as using regular single Hacintosh drive of SSD, the picture of Mac Pro(late 2013) is clearly displayed with black trash-icon.
- But, on the RAID0 volume ( consisted 2 SSDs) which fully copied from single SSD Hacintosh, the Picture of "About this mac " has never changed to one for Mac Pro (late 2013) - still picture of old Mac Pro(Early 2008) is still active.
In the content of /Extra/symbios.plist, The definion of "MacPrp 6.1" is completely staved and can be shown.

In the com.apple.Boot.plist file on the helper partition, the system had filled in the UUID rather than the RAID identifier. I had to change this to the RAID identifier. Then, I had to add the same boot argument to my Chameleon plist.

Same problem here when upgrading to 10.8.5 with a software RAID partition, the above suggestions fixed it for me.

Thanks a lot Neil :) Great guide!

It almost works for me. I Can't log into iCloud on my raid 0 boot set. It works fine, when I go back to just 1 boot drive.

Do you have any clue to why this happens?

Kind regards
Gert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back