Contribute
Register

Guide for RAID-0 on OS X 10.8.5 using tonymacx86 tool set

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to try this, i have 1 question, does it effect TRIM. thanks you.

AFAIK, TRIM does not work in RAID. Considering that TRIM for non-Apple SSDs does not work without modifying the kext plugins, which invalidates the signing of the kext, which causes Yosemite not to boot - gives a circle/slash on the boot screen unless you turn off signing - which gets turned back on at the next update, I have to wonder why you care.

For non-Apple SSDs installed non-RAID, most have garbage collection in the firmware - all you need to do is give the drive a bit of idle time to take care of the matter before sleep occurs. I have changed my delay time to 15 minutes on display sleep and 45 minutes on system sleep. Since I have a Crucial M500 in the MBP, it seemed the logical thing to do. This seems, so far, to be working well and is recommended by crucial for their SSDs.

Works like a charm! unfortunately i took me a couple of days to realize that i used | instead of \ when i was in the terminal. my advice for anyone would be to copy and paste just change the disk name.

@neilhart
Running Mavericks 10.9.5
Installed a pair of 256GB XP941 drives on a dual drive PCIe pass thru card - it takes 2 PCIe slots, but I had a spare anyway.
Only thing I had a problem with was the line

cp -R Extra /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/

no such file - I needed to use

cp -R /Extra /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/

other than that, worked like a charm. Talk about crazy fast!! see BlackMagic results!

Screen Shot 2014-12-26 at 11.08.13 AM.png

@neilhart
Running Mavericks 10.9.5
Installed a pair of 256GB XP941 drives on a dual drive PCIe pass thru card - it takes 2 PCIe slots, but I had a spare anyway.
Only thing I had a problem with was the line

cp -R Extra /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/

no such file - I needed to use

other than that, worked like a charm. Talk about crazy fast!! see BlackMagic results!

View attachment 119343

Yes you would get that error message if you were not in the same directory as the Extra folder. In the guide, I encourage people to move all the files to the desktop and run the terminal session from the desktop.

And I think that you have set a new standard for "crazy fast"!!!

Good modding,
neil

Yes you would get that error message if you were not in the same directory as the Extra folder. In the guide, I encourage people to move all the files to the desktop and run the terminal session from the desktop.

And I think that you have set a new standard for "crazy fast"!!!

Good modding,
neil
Yeah, I went back and read the instructions again - I failed to copy the /Extra folder to desktop. Had I done so I would not have gotten the error message.

Don't know about a standard, but that is faster than anything I have ever seen with Black Magic for sure!

I followed these instructions to a T on my GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP. I can boot fine from Unibeast thumb to the Apple RAID and everything is working great after Multibeast DSDT Free but when I boot direct without thumb I get black screen:

boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: <bunch of gobbledygook here>

Thoughts?

I think this might work

Code:
#!/bin/bash

for mydisk in `diskutil list | grep 'Apple_Boot Boot OS X' | awk -F " " '{print $8}'`; do
    rmydisk=${mydisk:0:5}
    fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/r$rmydisk
    dd if=boot1h of=/dev/r$mydisk

diskutil mount $mydisk
    cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/
    diskutil unmount $mydisk
done

Thanks a lot for that script. I extended it slightly by automating the Chimera.pkg extraction step. You just have to pass path to Multibeast app as first parameter to script and rest should work automatilcally.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

if [ -z "$1" ]; then
  echo "ERROR: Multibeast missing."
  echo "FORMAT: $0 <Multibeast App>"
  exit 1
fi

TEMPDIR=$(mktemp -d ./tmp.chimera.XXXXXX)
BOOT="$TEMPDIR"/usr/standalone/i386/boot
BOOT1H="$TEMPDIR"/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h
BOOT0="$TEMPDIR"/usr/standalone/i386/boot0

# use echo for debugging
PRECMD="sudo"

xar -xf "$1/Contents/Resources/"Chimera*.pkg -C "$TEMPDIR"
tar xzvf "$TEMPDIR"/Payload -C "$TEMPDIR"

for mydisk in `diskutil list | grep 'Apple_Boot Boot OS X' | awk -F " " '{print $8}'`; do
    echo "== DISK $mydisk =="
    rmydisk=${mydisk:0:5}
    $PRECMD fdisk -f "$BOOT0" -u -y /dev/r$rmydisk || { echo "ERROR: Could not mount disk r$rmydisk"; exit 1; }
    $PRECMD dd if=$BOOT1H of=/dev/r$mydisk || { echo "ERROR: Could not upodate boot sector"; exit 1; }

$PRECMD diskutil mount $mydisk  || { echo "ERROR: Could not mount disk $rmydisk"; exit 1; }
    $PRECMD cp "$BOOT" "/Volumes/Boot OS X/"  || { echo "ERROR: Could not copy file $BOOT"; exit 1; }
    $PRECMD cp -R /Extra "/Volumes/Boot OS X/"  || { echo "ERROR: Could not copy directory /Extra"; exit 1; }
    $PRECMD diskutil unmount $mydisk  || { echo "ERROR: Could not unmount disk $rmydisk"; exit 1; }
done

rm -r "$TEMPDIR"

Please ignore....cd Desktop was the answer.... thanks

Hi!

I am having an issue with fdisk command as following. Please let me know what my issue could be.
thanks in advance.

Young

sh-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
fdisk: could not open MBR file boot0: No such file or directory

Hi, thx for your time.

But i cant boot from the Raid, just only when i put my USB stick inside and boot from there.

Its my first Build so any Help is welcome.

Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back