Contribute
Register

Guide for Installing Mavericks on Two Z68X-UD3H Systems - One Using HD3000 / One Using 6850

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guide for Installing Mavericks on Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000

mjb152 said:
I'm having issues with my installation now, I'm UEFI and DSDT free...I've done several fresh installs so far, and the last one I migrated back just user accounts and applications.

as an aside, on a fresh install with no apps installed, it hangs with a spinning sign at boot for around 45 seconds, what do you guys do to reduce that time ? (I'm booting from SSD)
I'm sorry I can't help you. I'm using the Award F12 BIOS with a DSDT, and I have no intention of ever using a beta BIOS like the UEFI BIOS.

I recommend you post your problem in the Mavericks Desktop Support forum section.

I stood away from UEFI bios because when I tested U1h, it was not able to keep stable overclocks that I had with F12 so I flashed back to Award bios..

Now since I was updating my system, I wanted to test new U1l bios and to my surprise, it seems to be overclocking same as old F12 Award bios.. I am still in the process of testing it but so far so good..

Only advantage of UEFI bios is a lot faster POST time giving much faster boot time overall (especially if using SSD) and since U1l overclocks as good as old F12, I am sticking with UEFI for now..

I also had problems with booting which resulted in couple of fresh reinstalls, problem in my case was SSDT and speedstrap settings in bios.. you need to keep ratio at stock and overclock using turbo boost..

Maybe you should avoid migrating data if that messes up your installation ?

EDIT: I am back to award, UEFI is messed up when overclocking..

Thank you. I agree with you that it's better to wait until 10.9.3 to do completely move machines over to the new OS.
That being said, my test Mavericks installation is more stable IMO than the previous 10.x.0. However, one only has to visit macintouch.com to see what Macintosh owners are going through with 10.9.0.

I am having problems with USB 3 hard drives. They randomly eject and can never reconnect without re-boot. I am using the F12 Bios. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I am having problems with USB 3 hard drives. They randomly eject and can never reconnect without re-boot. I am using the F12 Bios. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
No, other than to ask if you loaded the GenericUSBXCHI.kext when you did your MultiBeast 6 load? I don't have any USB 3 peripherals for Zorro, just Firewire. That being said, I have tested a USB 3 external HDD on Son-of-Zorro on a test installation of Mavericks, and it works with the latest version of GenericUSBXCHI.kext (IIRC, v1.2.6/.7).

Curious to know, since we're all running the same mother board (but different video), if anyone else is having the issue with a black screen up wake from sleep. It's, perhaps, the only thing that's keeping this install from being 100%.

I've tried everything from darkwake=10 to UseKernelCache=No and I'm still having the issue. Anyone else?

Yeah, I've been having that exact problem for a while. It even happened under Lion, but not so often. Happens prolly half the time on ML.

(I don't have the exact same board though. I have two of the Z68A-D3H-B3 - one using the HD3000 and one with Nvidia 660. Both have the same issue)

I'll try the power button wake, keyboard wake sure doesn't work right!

MultiBeast 6.01 is out with an update to the GenericUSBXCHI.kext (USB 3.0). So, run MultiBeast 6.01, choosing only the USB 3.0 - Universal option to get the latest driver.:thumbup:

So is it pretty much the same install for "Son of Zorro"? Or rather a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3?

So is it pretty much the same install for "Son of Zorro"? Or rather a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3?
No, Son of Zorro has a AMD/ATI HD 6850 graphics card. Zorro does not have a graphics card as the thread title and the original post states.

BTW, if you're confused, Z68X-UD3H == Z68X-UD3H-B3. :thumbup:

The "B3" was the result of the Intel Z68 chipset revision in early 2011 due to bad bugs in the original Z68 motherboard chipset. Thus, all Z68 motherboards have the suffix designation of "B3", so I just leave it off as it's unnecessary. See tonymacx86 blog post from April 2011 for more info: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/04/sandy-bridge-desktop-cpus-and.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back