Contribute
Register

Guide for Installing Mavericks on Two Z68X-UD3H Systems - One Using HD3000 / One Using 6850

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same board.

I have a MSI 650 Ti Boost

I install that into the 16x slot on the mobo and dont get graphics, no BIOS no nothing.

I take the card out, install it into the 8x slot and get graphics perfectly fine.

Then here is the kicker.

I take my older GeForce 9600GT and install that in the 8x slot and put the 650 Ti in the 16x and get graphics from both cards.

I want the 16x slot to work because I need the pci slots.

I have tried removing every pci card - no fix

turning off all peripherals in the BIOS - no fix

putting just the 9600GT in the 16x slot with nothing in the 8x slot - no fix.

--

It just seems like if only one card is in the 16x slot i get no graphics and I dont get it

Would you agree its a board issue?

Just read your issue and thought I would chime in. I ran into the same problem as you when I replaced my old GeForce 9600GT and added a EVGA 660 Ti. Upon boot I would get no BIOS info but if I waited the OS X desktop would finally appear. Luckily I had an extra monitor so I setup my system with the two and then the BIOS would appear on the second screen. I never could get it to work with just one monitor though. Very strange. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has this problem.

Hmmm, what type of monitor connection are you using? DVI? HMDI? DP?

I'm using both DVI connections on my EVGA 650 Ti in Thunderball (Z77X-UD5P TH). I didn't see the BIOS as it went through it so fast, or so I thought, so I kept the BIOS Logo screen active so as to catch it; it still goes by in a blink of an eye. However, it then goes into the Chimera screen and quickly loads OS X.

I've got a 6850 graphics card in my Son-of-Zorro system (Z68X-UD3H). I'm connected via the DVI and DP (to DVI adapter) connections on the card. It shows the BIOS post screen, though, in slow enough fashion as to catch the BIOS if needed. About the same as Zorro using HD3000 DVI and HDMI connections.

So, maybe it's the connection to the monitor - try another connection (DVI vs. HDMI vs. DP) if your monitor supports different connections.

I am already running Mavericks on an F12 board, but am having an issue with sleep where the system goes to sleep fine, but when I try to wake it up I have no video output and I am pretty certain my HDDs aren't spinning. I am considering updating my BIOS to UEFI but read that the BIOS settings are slightly more involved than if you use a DSDT. Can you either give a suggestion for sleep staying with F12 or recommend settings for UEFI if you are using that for me to try.

Also, I noticed you chose this option, Customize > SSDT Options > Sandy Bridge Core i7, in MultiBeast. I have a core i5 2500 ivy bridge. Is this still an option you recommend that I still choose?

I am already running Mavericks on an F12 board, but am having an issue with sleep where the system goes to sleep fine, but when I try to wake it up I have no video output and I am pretty certain my HDDs aren't spinning. I am considering updating my BIOS to UEFI but read that the BIOS settings are slightly more involved than if you use a DSDT. Can you either give a suggestion for sleep staying with F12 or recommend settings for UEFI if you are using that for me to try.
I have not been able to wake up from sleep properly with my Bluetooth keyboard/mouse. However, I have woke up the system properly with my Logitech 750 Mac keyboard using the Logitech Unifying Receiver by tapping the Spacebar several times. I recommend you use a USB keyboard and/or mouse for the wake-up. I also have my BT and Logitech Unifying Receiver plugged into my monitor's USB hub; so, if you can't get the USB keyboard or mouse to wake-up the system probably, try connecting a powered USB hub to the back panel. Lastly, I've read that quickly pushing the Power button will also wake-up the system.

Also, I noticed you chose this option, Customize > SSDT Options > Sandy Bridge Core i7, in MultiBeast. I have a core i5 2500 ivy bridge. Is this still an option you recommend that I still choose?
No, this is for the i5/i7 "K" processors only as documented in the MultiBeast Features document which comes with the MultiBeast zip file or at multibeast.com.

Update: I was incorrect in my above statement...a SSDT is for all Sandy Bridge i5 & i7 processors.

I have not been able to wake up from sleep properly with my Bluetooth keyboard/mouse. However, I have woke up the system properly with my Logitech 750 Mac keyboard using the Logitech Unifying Receiver by tapping the Spacebar several times. I recommend you use a USB keyboard and/or mouse for the wake-up. I also have my BT and Logitech Unifying Receiver plugged into my monitor's USB hub; so, if you can't get the USB keyboard or mouse to wake-up the system probably, try connecting a powered USB hub to the back panel. Lastly, I've read that quickly pushing the Power button will also wake-up the system.

No, this is for the i5/i7 "K" processors only as documented in the MultiBeast Features document which comes with the MultiBeast zip file or at multibeast.com.

Update: I was incorrect in my above statement...a SSDT is for all Sandy Bridge i5 & i7 processors.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been fighting this for a while with no response in other posts. I have tried to wake with a USB keyboard, an apple bluetooth keyboard, and a Logitech k760 Bluetooth keyboard all with the same result. The system lights and fans will turn on but that is all. No video output and the HDD indicator light won't flicker either. I tried flashing my BIOS to UEFI a while back and I think sleep was working, but it caused some more intense issues so I downgraded it back to F12. I read there were more settings to change in the BIOS if using UEFI but haven't actually seen which settings to change. I have also switched to DVI instead of HDMI since I downgraded back to F12 which allowed my graphics card to be fully recognized. So, I was thinking about trying the UEFI thing again especially since I have a backup drive now to feel more comfortable trying things out.

One of the other Moderators, who has a Z68X-UD3H, tried the UEFI BIOS several times and always reverted back to the F12 Award BIOS. So, I recommend you stay with the F12 and the tonymacx86 DSDT for this motherboard.

One of the other Moderators, who has a Z68X-UD3H, tried the UEFI BIOS several times and always reverted back to the F12 Award BIOS. So, I recommend you stay with the F12 and the tonymacx86 DSDT for this motherboard.

I would prefer to stay with the F12 as everything else is working with my system, but that isn't solving my sleep issues. I'm not really sure what else to try. I know I don't want to leave my system running all the time but want the capability to start it up quickly and remotely if needed. Do you have any other suggestions?

The F12 DSDT in the tonymacx86 DSDT Database does permit the sleep/wake-up with USB keyboard & mouse. Are you using that DSDT?

The F12 DSDT in the tonymacx86 DSDT Database does permit the sleep/wake-up with USB keyboard & mouse. Are you using that DSDT?

Yes. I have had the F12 DSDT for several months now from tonymacx86.com. Like I said it's getting a signal to do something because all of the fans and stuff are turning on with all types of keyboards and the power button. Just no video or hard drive spinning. I'm not sure if it is a BIOS setting or something in the system. I followed the basic BIOS settings from a long time ago; not sure if this board requires anything special.

Hmmm, what type of monitor connection are you using? DVI? HMDI? DP?

I'm using both DVI connections on my EVGA 650 Ti in Thunderball (Z77X-UD5P TH). I didn't see the BIOS as it went through it so fast, or so I thought, so I kept the BIOS Logo screen active so as to catch it; it still goes by in a blink of an eye. However, it then goes into the Chimera screen and quickly loads OS X.

I've got a 6850 graphics card in my Son-of-Zorro system (Z68X-UD3H). I'm connected via the DVI and DP (to DVI adapter) connections on the card. It shows the BIOS post screen, though, in slow enough fashion as to catch the BIOS if needed. About the same as Zorro using HD3000 DVI and HDMI connections.

So, maybe it's the connection to the monitor - try another connection (DVI vs. HDMI vs. DP) if your monitor supports different connections.

I initially had both monitors connected via DVI but later switched my main 27" Auria to DP. I also have the Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H mobo and went into the BIOS and set Init Display First parameter to PCIEx16 as it was just PCI. In addition to not seeing the BIOS I also could not see Chimera either till I added the second monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back