Contribute
Register

Guide for Installing Lion on the 4530s Version 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, just joined the 4530S team after some frustrations with Dell E5520.
$425 at Microcenter - can't beat that, almost bought a Envy 15, but stopped in time.
Waiting on my 1080p screen, cable and Wi-Fi to be happy, the original screen is terrible...
I have a issue, though - sleep is not working.
Do I need to add SleepEnabler next or anything? I used the installer here to install the DSDT and all the kexts, but sleep is not working at all.
The other issue is the touchpad is finicky - 2 fingers work, but it feels glitchy and sometimes it jumps all over the screen. Is this normal? If it is - me not happy.
I also have a weird question - has anyone installed a i7 in a i3 laptop? I will, but I worry about the heat dispersion and all. Anyone tried it?
I tried updating to 10.7.4 but got numerous KPs and stuff not working, so I reinstalled and got 10.7.3.
Is it a problem that I'm running A23 BIOS?
Is GeekBench of 5571 normal for the i3 processor?

I know, too many questions, but I'll appreciate quick answers :)

Maly70, thanks for the reply. If you mean BigDonkey's page with additional fixes to Probook Installer no I have not tried that yet, will do so now.
As for the keyboard suggestion, I use a USB keyboard to get past the installation prompt. At that point the laptop keyboard is working as well as the trackpad. Once I run the Installer and reboot however the keyboard is useless.
I am installing 7.3 and wondering whether The fact that it's a 2450m is what's tripping me up. :banghead:

Appreciate the help,
Humbe

Huge thanks. Bought the older 4530s XU015UT with the smaller hard drive. Works perfectly out of box, no issues. Had OSX up and running in under an hour. Cant thank you enough!!

Anyone know if the newer 4530s A7K05UT#ABA w/ 500GB hard drive and i3-2350M processor will work as perfectly as the older 4530s XU015UT? Aside from replacing the Realtek WIFI w/ Atheros 9825 are there any other differences? Right now the newer 4530 is the same price as the older. I would love the larger hard drive and faster processor and I can still exchange the laptop for the newer one.

Anyone replace a wifi card on a newer 4530? Is it an easy replace? Are they the same size?

bhaase, I just bought the 4530s with the 2350M and 500Gb disk, although 5400rpm.
Everything is working with the installer except sleep. Nobody answered if I need a sleepenabler kext or not. Also the screen is terrible and the touchpad is kinda jerky.
Not too happy with my purchase so far ...
Card is easy to replace - open the back cover and all you need to do is remove a little screw and change the card. It's mini pci-e card.

Chipsybg, thanks for the info. I bought the 4530s and installed no problem, screen looks good. What problems are you having with your screen? The touchpad was jerky as well but after installing 10.7.3 update and re installing probook installer touchpad is fine and smooth. I also made sure to UNCHECK the click and drag option under trackpad (mouse option is disabled due to bluetooth) as that made the movement jerky as well. Many options under trackpad can be tweaked. Havent tried sleep yet so not sure if it works properly. The older 4530s has a smaller hard drive but 7200 rpm. But both laptops were the same price on amazon (newer model a couple of bucks cheaper) Maybe I will stay with the one I have as I do not want to take a chance for an extra 180 GB.
let me know if you are able to eliminate the trackpad problem

I'm with 10.7.3 and it's still jerky. Tried 10.7.4 but the trackpad didn't work. Hopefully someone will update the installer with 10.7.4 kexts and stuff.
I calibrated the screen with Spyder3 but the colors are just washed out and viewing angles and weird. I already ordered 1080p screen and the appropriate cable for replacement.
The other problem I have that the screen brightness works only in 4 settings. The first 4 clicks gets brighter and then it stops changing. Is this normal?

yes the brightness issue is documented as is the bluetooth after sleep issues. I did not calibrate and the screen is kind of washed out (low on contrast) but it was with win7 as well, so probably just a poor quality screen. I don't think this is a high quality laptop. I have ordered the HP Recovery DVDs as well and might go back to windows to confirm screen quality as mac install was quick and painless. Windows was cumbersome on this laptop, Mac OS seems much faster. So you think the newer model is not worth the trouble?

I don't know if it's worth it, I'm considering bringing mine back to the store and get something else. I really like the Envy 15 but I don't know how available are the DSDT and kexts. I will upgrade the screen because I can't stand it, but the trackpad is not very responsive and that's a major turn off, since it's the main reason to replace my Latitiude E5520, which was working awesomely except for the touchpad.
Sleep is a no go either - with or without SleepEnabler next.

P.S. Ok, after downgrade to BIOS F.20 the touchpad is a lot more responsive.
Sleep is still not working. Tried BIOS reset and all. Maybe a patched DSDT is needed?
Also what kind of DSDT will I need after upgrade the screen to the v4 1080p?
If I'm in the wrong thread, please let me know, total noob here :)

ovb1 said:
Fixed it. Under Settings->Displays->Colours->Colour tab I unchecked the 'Show profiles for this display only' box and 4 more colour profiles appeared. I'm not sure what the difference is, but 'Generic RBG Profile' looks, and sounds, right. This makes the colours look normal:

Try this it made a huge different to the screen for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back