Contribute
Register

Guide for Installing Lion on the 4530s Version 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guide for Installing Lion on HP Probook Laptops-Version 3. Includes the 4230s, 4330s, 4430s, 4530s, and 4730s.

Note: Please make sure to read the update sections, at the bottom of post one and top of post two in order to have the best system possible.

Also, please make sure not to discuss any pirated methods here (or anywhere on the forum). I guarantee if they are posted here they will be seen, and YOU WILL BE BANNED.

Please do NOT PM me with basic questions. Ask them here. They don't get answered immediately if they are something that should be asked here. I will check here as well, and it helps everyone to post here, so everyone can see the answer.

Base Install:

As of now, I currently have the following working:
Core i3 CPU 2310m- working fine, vanilla 64 bit kernel (Core i5 and i7s work as well)
Intel HD3000- Full QE/CI (the trick being having SMBIOS set as a MacbookPro8,1)
Atheros 9285- Fully working
4 Gigs of RAM- fully working
Audio- works with AppleHDA!
Trackpad and keyboard- fully working with basic gestures
DVD drive- working, both reading and writing- thanks to jimmy sticks for testing burning with it!
Sleep- Works
Bluetooth- works on boot, not after restart or sleep.
Ethernet- Works
HDMI and VGA: Full resolution and HDMI audio

My install method was simple, I used a Lion USB, using unibeast

Stuff you need-
  • A copy of Install Mac OS X Lion.app[/*:m:sil9n7ff]
  • The installer attached to this post[/*:m:sil9n7ff]
  • The latest Unibeast downloadable from here:TonyMacx86 Downloads[/*:m:sil9n7ff]
  • A USB keyboard (if you really can't get one, read notes below for the alternate)[/*:m:sil9n7ff]
  • Access to an OS X install, where the Install Mac OS X Lion.app is. Whether this is Lion or Snow Leopard, or Leopard, hackintosh or mac, it doesn't matter.[/*:m:sil9n7ff]
  • A flash drive that can be formatted, anything over 8 gigs is fine.[/*:m:sil9n7ff]

1. Go to the Mac where Install Mac OS X Lion.app is. If it is not in the application folder, then please follow the steps below. If it is in the applications folder, skip to step two.

-Navigate to the Install Mac OS X Lion.app. Right click, and hit show package contents.
-Go to "Contents" then "Shared Support" and mount InstallESD.dmg

2. Insert your flash drive, and open disk utility. Format it as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) with a MBR partition map. Name it Installer.

3. Exit Disk Utility, and run Unibeast, installing to that flash drive. When installing, select "Mac App Store "Install Mac OS X Lion"" as well as "Laptop Support." Then select your flash drive to install it too. Please note that it acts weird, in that the timer keeps going up. Let it run though, and it should finish.

4. Copy over the latest HP Probook Installer to the flash drive.

5. Now we are moving on to the laptop. If you have the other graphics card other then the hd 3000, disable it in BIOS now. It currently does not work in OS X. If you can't boot for some reason, set all BIOS settings to default, and then try again, again making sure any other graphics cards are disabled.

6. Insert the flash drive in one of the USB ports on the right.

7. Upon boot-up, hit esc, and f9. Then, select usb hard drive. Select the Flash Drive, called Installer, and hit enter. Let it load.

8. Now you should be at the Installer screen. Hit continue to select your language.

9. Along the top, hit Utilities. Then hit Disk Utility.

10. Select your hard drive, and format it in however many partitions you want, with a GUID partition map.

11. Hit (alt) + q to return to the installer after you have finished. Finish the install process like normal, selecting the partition you just made.

12. After it restarts, you will need to once again hit esc then f9. Then select usb hard drive again. This time, select the partition you just installed Lion on, and hit enter. Make sure you leave the flash drive plugged in.

13. It will now say you need to use a keyboard. Plug it in on the other USB port on the right, and after the stupid prompt goes away, you can unplug it.

14. Finish the setup process like normal. After you get to the desktop, open the flash drive(It's called Installer in finder) and copy the HP Probook installer to your desktop.

15. Run the installer, and select:
-OS X version you are installing
-Ethernet Kext Installer (when this launches, use the release version)
-Chimera
-Under DSDT find your correct BIOS
-i5 or i7 CPU if you have them

16. You should now be able to unplug the USB flash drive and boot from the hard drive.

17. Do so, then, open system preferences, and hit network, and you it will say wifi has been added, and hit apply to activate. Do so, and it will work.

Notes:

Before you ask a question: please be sure it is not covered here: viewtopic.php?f=259&t=43234&p=273139#p273139

If you have any way to add to this, please let me know. I will share any credit. Please do not copy and paste this without first getting permission from me.

Software Updates:

For simplicity, it is recommended that you use only stand-alone upgrades, one at a time. Note that you need to install Lion, run the HP Probook Installer and make sure everything works. Then you may update. You can try the combo updates, and they should work fine.

I recommend not installing until I have added to the guide to let you know how to do so successfully. However, you are more then welcome to try on your own.

10.7.1-
-Simply download the update from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1437
-Then, simply run the HP Probook Installer, selecting simply the OS X version you are updating to. Do this after you install the update, but before the reboot.

10.7.2-
-Simply download the update from Standalone or Combo
-Then, simply run the HP Probook Installer, selecting simply the OS X version you are updating to. Do this after you install the update, but before the reboot.

10.7.3-
-Simply download the update from Combo (they never released a standalone update)

Future updates:
-None out yet, this is a warning. Do not update without me (or you can try another user) giving you the update method. There is the possibility that kexts will be overwritten rendering your machine UNBOOTABLE.
-You will need to make sure that you don't install from software update, as it could kill your machine. You will need to download from the link I provide, and then apply the installer before you reboot.
-Please note that I will be releasing the updated HP Probook Installer within approximately 24 hours at the most after releases. So it is much advised to wait.

Attachments

• HP Probook Installer.zip
    16 MB · Views: 4,810
Re: Guide for Installing Lion on the HP Probook 4530s Version 3

Pack Updates:

If you have read this post since December 28th, 2011 you are up to date. The current installer is v 3.1.0, which can be found in the first post.

To update from a previous version of the Installer, just rerun it, and select all the options which apply.

Please note that from the original pack, there have been several a ton of updates.

The change log is now in the installer.

Future updates:

Things I would like to see done:
-HDMI audio out
-complete trackpad support, with 3 fingers and pinch to zoom and the like
-VGA port working fully
-Bluetooth working fully
-better power management.

If anyone can help with those other things, that would be great, as I can't figure them out.

- I would like to offer thanks to everyone who has helped with this in any way, shape or form. I would like to offer a special thanks to Tony and MaLd0n for taking time from all they could be doing simply to help us.
-I would also like to give a thanks to the following users:
  • jamesah[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • jimmysticks[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • ubaid88[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • d_a_l_3[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • masso912[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • frantisek.nesveda[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • geejay[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • BigDonkey[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • segen[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • drcrack[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • ZAFFE[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • ElectronShaper[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • 2MNY [/*:m:2397pz3w]

Also a big thank you to the following for testing out the installer to make sure everyone else receives the best possible end result:
  • tonymacx86[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • liposuction[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • bigbair[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • ElectronShaper[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • Inmike09[/*:m:2397pz3w]
  • pandar [/*:m:2397pz3w]

If anyone feels they or another user has been left off this list, let me know.

Useful Links
-Chameleon Change Log
-How to make a Windows Install DVD (Legally)
-Activation for Windows 7 backup/restore
-How to triple boot Windows, OS X, and Ubuntu
=Use external DVD player with 4230s

Hey guys! Sorry this took so long, but here is Version 3 of the install guide, as well as a new installer. You now no longer need to patch your own DSDT, and you can enjoy VGA, HDMI audio, and audio through AppleHDA. This may help with graphics glitches as well. You can just run this over your existing install. Please note mirroring does NOT work.

Please note that this DSDT also contains a patch which uses the MBP8,1 connector table as well, so you may use a different SMBIOS if you choose without messing up the functionality. This DSDT also has been patched to contain fixes so that we may now use AppleACPIPlatform from Lion. I have included this in this post to install.

If you are upgrading from the pack, I do suggest selecting remove old kexts as well.

Also, for anyone with graphic problems, please use Disk Utility and repair permissions.

Also, since you have an old edited version of the IO80211Family installed, I recommend going ahead and reinstalling the kext attached to this post. Its the vanilla 10.7.2.

EDIT: Also, I am including the files you need to install the same things as the installer. Pretty obvious what does what.

Attachments

• Installer files for manual install.zip
    16 MB · Views: 2,072

Yay! Tested and working. :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

Test and working perfectly on my 4430s. Thanks blueking!

No problem! Glad its working!

autocorrect gotcha....
1. Go to the Mac where Install Mac OS X Lion.app is. If it is not in the application folder, then pleased the steps below. If it is in the applications folder, skip to step two.
I figured you wrote proceed and it corrected to pleased :lolno:

Its a pain isn't it :p but yeah.. I'll go change now. Thanks.

Does this fix the wifi drop on 10.7.2 ?

Use the installer and select the files, a DSDT, and use the kexts from the 3rd post and it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back