Contribute
Register

Guide for installing Lion on GA-Z77X-UD5H

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using:
GA-Z77X-UD5H V 1.0 F7 Bios, CPU i7 2600K, MSI R6870 (HDI 6870), 16GB Ram, Black Caviar SATA III 1To in MBR for Osx (dual boot with win7 x64 on an other disk)
With Bios at default values, this mobo can run Lion 10.7.4 without any modification (only adding FakeSMC.kext and Chimera to start) no need of exotic kext or patch. In particular, management of SandyBridge CPU is working out of the box.
If you install the new kernel and kext for Ivybridge (BridgeHelper 5.0), you get all the specific stuffs working (USB3, and front USB2...), in addition you need to add the kext for network (Atheros), fix the sound with Multibeast (ALC 898) and may need some specific tricks to get QE/CI (MSI R6870 is working of the box nothing to fix).
It is working with or without cache enabled (works with no boot.plist at all).
It never has been so simple. I don't understand the problem.

MarcelBidon said:
I am using:
GA-Z77X-UD5H V 1.0 F7 Bios, CPU i7 2600K, MSI R6870 (HDI 6870), 16GB Ram, Black Caviar SATA III 1To in MBR for Osx (dual boot with win7 x64 on an other disk)
With Bios at default values, this mobo can run Lion 10.7.4 without any modification (only adding FakeSMC.kext and Chimera to start) no need of exotic kext or patch. In particular, management of SandyBridge CPU is working out of the box.
If you install the new kernel and kext for Ivybridge (BridgeHelper 5.0), you get all the specific stuffs working (USB3, and front USB2...), in addition you need to add the kext for network (Atheros), fix the sound with Multibeast (ALC 898) and may need some specific tricks to get QE/CI (MSI R6870 is working of the box nothing to fix).

Wont my QECI work without buying a card? Or, if I do have to buy a card, tell me some cheap ones like under $30, because I am buying a $600 card in a few months!

themacguy said:
MarcelBidon said:
I am using:

Wont my QECI work without buying a card? Or, if I do have to buy a card, tell me some cheap ones like under $30, because I am buying a $600 card in a few months!

On another system I have an Asus HD 6570 working OOB. Very cheap (around 54€). Performance in common applications is ok.
I cannot understand what you can do better with a $600 card on a mac... for me medium range is ok.

MarcelBidon said:
themacguy said:
MarcelBidon said:
I am using:

On another system I have an Asus HD 6570 working OOB. Very cheap (around 54€). Performance in common applications is ok.
I cannot understand what you can do better with a $600 card on a mac... for me medium range is ok.

Actually, I have Windows as well, and for gaming I require a good card, because I have a 1080p monitor. And if I've purchased such good components, why compromise on the graphics card, which is one of the most important components?

So did you need to buy a card to get this to work? Trying to get Lion booting on same spec - can't! But using onboard graphics - so assume this is my problem??

Please describe your hardware and how you have it hooked together. Then please describe the error....in detail, that you are getting. Have faith, we will get it going!

Well, I havent yet purchased a graphics card, have been very busy in a few days.

Soon going to get back to trying to hackintosh it, while I am still waiting for the new customac guide so that I can choose a graphics card from there.

And I'm getting a macbook pro 15 anyways, so will use this machine only for heavy tasks like gaming, etc., while the pro is good at those as well!

I had the same kernel panics revolving around the integrated graphics (HD 3000 from a 2500k) and the same z77 UD5H. Once you've got lion on it, run multi beast and choose user ddst (except with this board you actually don't need a ddst so don't put one on the desktop). Then reboot and if you're using the hd 3000, it will probably have a kernel panic. NO FEAR. Boot with the GraphicsEnabler=No flag and then, using kext beast install the graphics enabler next at the end of this post and it should work with no problems (with qe/ci acceleration) As always run system utilities to be safe after installing the kext.
btw I'm running bios f8 if that may help.
ALSO, vga won't work, go dvi (i had vga but had to get a dvi cable because real macs don't have vga so qe/ci won't work)

Attachments

• AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFBInjector.kext.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 59
What is system utilities? I never run system utilities after installing kexts. Maybe thats the reason for the panics. Tomorrow I'll be getting a vga to dvi cable, then I'll install Mac OS X again! Btw, can you help me with other things as well? Like sound, etc.?

Oh sorry repair permissions but its under the system utilities in multi beast haha and I've got sound working (but only through the green [EDIT it works I thought it was the green but I checked and it was the black rear line out] line out in the back) install the alc8xxhda (non legacy worked and its under the unified device injector) and the applehda rollback and the alc 898 non dsdt had enabler and those three should do it for sound (idk how to get the full 7.1 sound working but I'm fine with this)
For those just starting using this mob, beware, the dsdt gave me a lot of trouble and I've had no problems without it so I just don't use it, anyhow sleep and wake works fine with this chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back