Contribute
Register

Guide for Gigabyte H/Z97N-WIFI Using HD4600 or GTX 750 Ti Using Clover (El Capitan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wake-on-Lan issues w/ z97n-wifi Revision 1.1

Great Guide! Thank you for all your hard work.

Down to the business:
z97n-wifi Revision 1.1
i7-4790k Processor
16 gb of ram (dominator)
GTX 750Ti sc (Displayport 1.2 for 4k support)
10.11.2 El capitan (UEFI - first installed)
Windows 10 (As Dual Boot)

-----

I have mostly everything working on my z97n-wifi revision1.1 motherboard with the exception of Wake-on-Lan!

I seem to be able to wake up my machine on demand just fine and even got the Energy Saver: Scheduled Start-up and shut-down to work as well but once I set the "computer to sleep" option in Energy Saver and attempt to wake the machine via another LAN computer or even my DD-WRT router WOL feature, I get no response from my Hackintosh.

I have followed the 'Hector' guide for disabling Wake-On-Lan in bios along w/the rest of the steps listed. I have also rebooted reseting the PRAM once i made modifications to my sleep/wake settings. I have deleted the default wifi network service interface and created another custom WIFI interface in System Preferences > Network and positioned its service order to 1, which fixed my start up, shutdown issue scheduler.

I must also add that I'm using the Broadcom BCM94260CD combo board as suggested for wifi access and for hand off functionality.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Art

Last edited:
Thank you for all of your work !Great guide !!

I will be attempting to follow it but i have the G3258 from what i have been reading the igpu might give me some troubles .... another GPU is out of the question for me since i have the antec isk 110 case .... Is there any pointers you can give me before i try the installation ???

This rig was built on spare parts i had lying around and i am already running windows 10 but i have a spare ssd i can use so its not a biggie if i cant get it to work but man i really have this bug to try and see what happens.

Yeah, I thought about that, have left the 980 Ti disconnected this whole time with the idea to add the driver later. It's something else. What on earth?
Sorry for the delayed response. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue what the solution is for your problem.

Hello! Thanks for the guide!

I'm working up to upgrading to El Cap. Could I use system definition iMac15,1? I am using a 4690S on my Z97N system and according to Everymac.com this 5k model uses the 4690 i5. Whereas the 14,1 definition doesn't have the 4690 listed

Is there any reason why should't use 15,1 and use 14,1 instead? I'm just using HD4600 no graphics card

Thanks!
User's that have tried iMac15,1 have had problems. However, that was a while ago. The rule of thumb is to use iMac14,1 for Intel HD Graphics and iMac14,2 for using with a graphics card. Try it...if it doesn't work, use iMac14,1/2 or MacPro3,1 (which works in 99.9% of the time).

I am running into a problem that I have never seen in many years of building these things. Clover loads, I select the usb installer, it displays the initial screen shown below, and right when I expect it to start loading files and such, it reboots.

Board: GA-H97N-WiFi
Bios: F8
CPU: 4690k / i3-4150
RAM: Balistic tracer 2gb / Adata 2gb
PSU : silverstone 450W Gold

See Category #3 in http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...st-solutions-el-capitan-install-problems.html for help with this problem.

...I have mostly everything working on my z97n-wifi revision1.1 motherboard with the exception of Wake-on-Lan!

I seem to be able to wake up my machine on demand just fine and even got the Energy Saver: Scheduled Start-up and shut-down to work as well but once I set the "computer to sleep" option in Energy Saver and attempt to wake the machine via another LAN computer or even my DD-WRT router WOL feature, I get no response from my Hackintosh...
Unfortunately, I don't use WOL so I don't have any knowledge to impart to you. http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...st-solutions-el-capitan-install-problems.html points out that Wake On LAN is a problem for hackintoshs (see Category #13). I've always followed the guides to disable W-O-L. I apologize that I can't help.

Thank you for all of your work !Great guide !!

I will be attempting to follow it but i have the G3258 from what i have been reading the igpu might give me some troubles .... another GPU is out of the question for me since i have the antec isk 110 case .... Is there any pointers you can give me before i try the installation ???

This rig was built on spare parts i had lying around and i am already running windows 10 but i have a spare ssd i can use so its not a biggie if i cant get it to work but man i really have this bug to try and see what happens.
The G3258 will probably not be supported in OS X without a graphics card. All I can find on the graphics of that processor is that it's "Intel HD Graphics." Thus, I don't think that processor will work w/o a graphics card with OS X.

Sorry for the delayed response. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue what the solution is for your problem.
The G3258 will probably not be supported in OS X without a graphics card. All I can find on the graphics of that processor is that it's "Intel HD Graphics." Thus, I don't think that processor will work w/o a graphics card with OS X.

Hey thank you for the response ....

This guy seems to got it to work but that was on yosemite i dont know if this will help me ... http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-support/159607-help-g3258-native-graphics.html
I will try to give it a go tonight

I read that post, do you see something that I don't? The only thing that mentions a reboot loop is here:

3. Kernel Panic or auto-reboot

If asking for help, boot in verbose mode (navigate to the entry you want to boot on the Clover menu, hit space bar, and select "Boot Mac OS X in verbose mode...") and add a photo of the screen just before it reboots to your post.

Haswell Integrated Graphics Don't Start (nope, I don't think this is the problem. I'm not using a GPU and HD4600 doesn't give other people a problem, at least not this one.)

Kernel Panic or other Reboot Loop:

If you only have one RAM chip, try different slots (I tried this as well as trying several ram kits)

If this is an upgrade..(this is a clean install).

If you have a DSDT.aml for your board (not mentioned in your guide or anywhere else for this board)

If it's a panic in a AppleUSBUHCIPCI.kext or AppleUSBXHCIPCI.kext: (the installer never even gets that far, and I don't have the chipsets listed as an issue here)

If it's a panic in AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, try adding boot argument cpus=1 until you get through the install. ( I tried this, though it seemed unlikely. did nothing)

If it's a panic in AppleTyMCEDriver.kext ( i think the system definition from the installer is the imac 14,1. this should not be the problem, and if it was I would think it would be mentioned in your guide or someone else.)

If you only get a reboot loop when booting from the system drive (nope)

If you have a reboot loop and an Nvidia card (nope)

If it's a panic just after ACPI: sleep states S3 S4 S5 (no)

I have followed the advice, by posting my verbose screen and asking for help. I have seen this very same screen and problem a few other times on this forum, but the posts go ignored. One person seems to have fixed the issue by creating a legacy boot loader and always booting off of the USB stick, but A. that didn't work for me, and B. that obviously isn't the solution since I am running identical hardware as you and others who have a working 10.11 installer, but am experiencing a problem that enjoys very little mention or documentation. Yosemite is working flawlessly. What could possibly be causing this? I thought that maybe, even though the USB installer ran on a different machine with almost identical hardware, that there was something wrong with the path to the OS files on the mac pro I used to make the installer, and the installer could not find it or something. However I get the exact same issue trying to upgrade to El Capitan from Yosemite.

Do you have any idea what else I could try?

I read that post, do you see something that I don't? The only thing that mentions a reboot loop is here:

3. Kernel Panic or auto-reboot

I have followed the advice, by posting my verbose screen and asking for help. I have seen this very same screen and problem a few other times on this forum, but the posts go ignored. One person seems to have fixed the issue by creating a legacy boot loader and always booting off of the USB stick, but A. that didn't work for me, and B. that obviously isn't the solution since I am running identical hardware as you and others who have a working 10.11 installer, but am experiencing a problem that enjoys very little mention or documentation. Yosemite is working flawlessly. What could possibly be causing this? I thought that maybe, even though the USB installer ran on a different machine with almost identical hardware, that there was something wrong with the path to the OS files on the mac pro I used to make the installer, and the installer could not find it or something. However I get the exact same issue trying to upgrade to El Capitan from Yosemite.

Do you have any idea what else I could try?
Nope, I'm not coming up with anything to try. I didn't have any touble installing (as you can tell). I recommend you open a new thread in the El Capitan Desktop Support forum section describing your problem. The more eyes on your problem, the better. :thumbup:

so I'm at the part where i use kextbeast to install the FackePcIID_XHCIMux. kext and FakePCIID.kext
my issue is kextBeast does not load and asks me to move it to the trash

"KextBeast” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash"

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance...

so I'm at the part where i use kextbeast to install the FackePcIID_XHCIMux. kext and FakePCIID.kext
my issue is kextBeast does not load and asks me to move it to the trash

"KextBeast” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash"

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance...
Try
Code:
cd ~/Desktop && sudo cp -rf *.kext /Library/Extensions && sudo touch /Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -Boot -U /
This will put any kext on the Desktop in /Library/Extensions folder. I'll also pass along your problem with KextBeast to tonymacx86.

Ignore below. I goofed up. I found out that my config.plist has been blanked to default. All the values I set for SMBIOS and usb port configuration are gone. Really not sure how the .plist could have been set to stock. Perhaps I edited the wrong one?

Doing a fresh install later.

I keep getting Kernel Panics when I let the machine sleep by itself and try to then wake it by bluetooth kb/mouse

*** Panic Report ***
panic(cpu 3 caller 0xffffff800cdd201a): "Machine Check at 0x00007fff990f1645, registers:\n" "CR0: 0x0000000080010033, CR2: 0x00000001a41f9003, CR3: 0x00000001bc4960f9, CR4: 0x00000000001627e0\n" "RAX: 0x0000000086487661, RBX: 0x00000000c73e74ce, RCX: 0x00000000546ad340, RDX: 0x00000001a6895b80\n" "RSP: 0x00007fff5994c520, RBP: 0x00007fff5994c590, RSI: 0x00000000000eb4d2, RDI: 0x00007fff5994c5f8\n" "R8: 0x00000000ba5f0934, R9: 0x000000000000000c, R10: 0x000000002000000c, R11: 0x00000000ff738423\n" "R12: 0x000000000927e64e, R13: 0x00000000bfaf991e, R14: 0x00000000ff738422, R15: 0x00000000da67ef8b\n" "RFL: 0x0000000000000217, RIP: 0x00007fff990f1645, CS: 0x000000000000002b, SS: 0x0000000000000023\n" "Error code: 0x0000000000000000\n"@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-3248.20.55/osfmk/i386/trap_native.c:168

That's what the log spit out.

Z97N wifi with 4690S
14,1 definition hd 4600
8gb Ballistix memory
SYBA firewire pcie card
picoPSU 192w
850 evo sed
BCM94360CD combo card
500gb hdd
4k display

Power management seems to be doing okay, dropping back to 800mhz then to 3.2ghz as necessary.
Followed the directions to a T and this is on a fresh install with updated bios.
Went through the Bios settings and everything is as it should be according to your suggested settings. Would you need more detailed pics from my Bios?

I'm really not sure what it could be. Testing overnight with no sleep and putting the display to sleep with hot corner.

Attached is my config.plist if you wanna take a look at that

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.3 KB · Views: 284
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back