Contribute
Register

Guide for Gigabyte H/Z97N-WIFI Using HD4600 or GTX 750 Ti Using Clover (El Capitan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent. Just waiting for my spiffy NCase M1 to arrive, and then I will assemble and install.

Thanks again!

:headbang:

Stork,

Thanks for the guide. It worked great. I updated the config.plist to correct the USB limit of 15 and then installed the two recommended kexts - I now have USB 3.0!

This is odd. Here's my setup:

GA-H97n-wifi
i7-4790K
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 240-Pin DIMM DDR3, PC3 12800

Samsung 850 EVO 120GB
Corsair CS Series 450 Watt (CS450M)
Kingwin 2.5" and 3.5" Multi-Function Hot Swap Rack with USB 3.0 Hub (KF-253-BK)
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200RPM SATA (ST31000524AS)

I have two of these setups. I used your guide for El Capitan on the first setup and it went perfect. I followed the guide again for El Capitan on the second setup... and when I boot into the USB drive, I get:

- white apple logo on a black screen
- no progress bar
- after 2-3 seconds, a reboot taking me back to Clover

The setups are identical. El Capitan install worked on the first setup, but not the second setup. Another odd thing: I had to remove one of the RAM sticks to get the system to boot into the BIOS with the second setup. Both RAM sticks were installed on the first setup and no issues.

What I've tried:
- swapping a single RAM stick between slots
- choosing a different USB port for the El Capitan boot USB
- adding CPUs=1 as a boot argument in clover options (not sure if I did it correct*)
- booting from the successfully installed SSD from the first setup

* added it after another entry that was already there in clover options; I didn't put a comma; just a space

I just can't figure out why it would work on one setup and not another identical one. Unless there's a hardware issue. That thought has me worried. How would I deduce that? Any help would be appreciated.

Stork,

Thanks for the guide. It worked great. I updated the config.plist to correct the USB limit of 15 and then installed the two recommended kexts - I now have USB 3.0!

GA-H97n-wifi
i7-4790K

Samsung 850 EVO 120GB

I have two of these setups. I used your guide for El Capitan on the first setup and it went perfect. I followed the guide again for El Capitan on the second setup... and when I boot into the USB drive, I get:

- no progress bar

The setups are identical. El Capitan install worked on the first setup, but not the second setup. Another odd thing: I had to remove one of the RAM sticks to get the system to boot into the BIOS with the second setup. Both RAM sticks were installed on the first setup and no issues.

What I've tried:
- adding CPUs=1 as a boot argument in clover options (not sure if I did it correct*)

* added it after another entry that was already there in clover options; I didn't put a comma; just a space

I just can't figure out why it would work on one setup and not another identical one. Unless there's a hardware issue. That thought has me worried. How would I deduce that? Any help would be appreciated.
Wow! I haven't a clue to your solution. Identical two systems with one working and one not working. Very strange. Have you seen this helful sticky thread, specially Post #3?

Stork,

GA-H97n-wifi
i7-4790K

Samsung 850 EVO 120GB

- no progress bar

What I've tried:

Adding cpus=1 is unlikely to make any difference for your CPU.

Some boards can be picky with ram memory and so can the installer. With the one I use, i have to leave just 1 ram stick installed and set the ram speed in memory back to its most basic level (1333). After the install is complete and it is booting on its own, I can then adjust it to what it should be (2133), and add the second ram stick.

If you boot with the '-v' boot flag and post the result, we may be able to help you more, since that may give us some clues as to why it is not booting correctly.

Also, can you confirm which system definition you are using i.e 14,2 or 15,1 or something else ?

:thumbup:

Some boards can be picky with ram memory and so can the installer. With the one I use, i have to leave just 1 ram stick installed and set the ram speed in memory back to its most basic level (1333). After the install is complete and it is booting on its own, I can then adjust it to what it should be (2133), and add the second ram stick.

I'll try the RAM speed adjustments and track which slot I use.

If you boot with the '-v' boot flag and post the result, we may be able to help you more, since that may give us some clues as to why it is not booting correctly.

I tried verbose mode and got a single "row of pluses" at the top of the black screen and then it rebooted.

Also, can you confirm which system definition you are using i.e 14,2 or 15,1 or something else ?

:thumbup:

On the first setup, I did 14,2. But that's running Multibeast after the install. On the second install, I can't boot into the USB. So, I haven't defined a system definition, yet. Would the system definition need to be specified on the boot USB? I don't think I've done that before.

Wow! I haven't a clue to your solution. Identical two systems with one working and one not working. Very strange. Have you seen this helful sticky thread, specially Post #3?

That post is what lead me to move around my RAM and try the cpus=1 boot argument. I'll try it again. Maybe I did something wrong in frustration. :banghead:

Are both systems using the same make/model PSU? Are the PSUs rated Haswell "ready" or "certified"? (I'm reaching...your memory looks to be the same as what's on the H/Z97N-WIFI motherboard's Memory Support List, but you better check that, too.)

You got me stumped. :think:

Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 GHz
and
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 240-Pin DIMM DDR3 1600, PC3 12800

Both the CPU and RAM are off the buyer's list. ...and they worked in the first setup.

That's not good, Stork. You saying you're stumped is like having your doctor say "Hmmm, I've never seen that before. Bummer."
;)

Are the PSUs rated Haswell "ready" or "certified"?

The newegg site lists them as "Haswell". What does "ready" or "certified" mean?

Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 GHz
and
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 240-Pin DIMM DDR3 1600, PC3 12800

Both the CPU and RAM are off the buyer's list. ...and they worked in the first setup.

That's not good, Stork. You saying you're stumped is like having your doctor say "Hmmm, I've never seen that before. Bummer."
;)

The newegg site lists them as "Haswell". What does "ready" or "certified" mean?
It means it works with Haswell processors which have lower idle current draw than previous generations of Intel processors . Older PSUs can cause shut downs or freezes with Haswell processors.

So, from your information, I can only think that maybe the PSU of the system with the problems might have a PSU that wasn't complying with the Haswell specs. However, if Newegg lists the PSU as Haswell, then that's not the problem.

Are you using the USB 2 port in the stack with the PS/2 port? (I'm going thru my check list of problem solutions as I'm missing something that will tell me the solution to your problem.)

Lastly, please do as WonkeyDonkey recommended. Boot the UniBeast USB installation with a -v and post the picture if it doesn't reboot before you can take the picture. (At the Clover boot screen, make sure the UniBeast USB Installer is highlighted, then hit the Space Bar and select the boot verbose option.)

Are you using the USB 2 port in the stack with the PS/2 port? (I'm going thru my check list of problem solutions as I'm missing something that will tell me the solution to your problem.)

Yes. I'm using the USB 2.0 ports in the PS/2 stack for the keyboard and thumb drive. I'm using one of the 3.0 ports for the mouse.

Lastly, please do as WonkeyDonkey recommended. Boot the UniBeast USB installation with a -v and post the picture if it doesn't reboot before you can take the picture. (At the Clover boot screen, make sure the UniBeast USB Installer is highlighted, then hit the Space Bar and select the boot verbose option.)

Here's what I get when I go to verbose:

OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
_

Then, at the very top edge of the screen, just prior to the reboot (very fast), I see this:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8004b263460: "zone_init: kmem_suballoc failed"@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu-3247.10.11/osfmk/kern/zalloc.c:2199

I'm not 100% on the "@" symbol above. I used the high speed photo option on my iPhone to grab the "panic" text. It went really quick. You could blink and miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back