Contribute
Register

Guide for Gigabyte H/Z97N-WIFI Using HD4600 - Chimera/MultiBeast Method

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI Stork, I have this exact build, I just found your guide now. I run it for FCP X and Premiere pro. I had some issues with freezes initially, but that's because I migrated this install from my previous build (z87) and it needed some tweaks to become stable. I have a R9 280x sitting in my cupboard that I am thinking of putting in it, but am a little worried about stability, as when I had that card in the old machine, i used to get some freezes from time to time. Corsair RM750 power supply and Corsair Elite 130 mini ITX case. Do you think this is too much heat for a small build ?

also, I have the H version of this board, and set it to 4.0ghz in the bios, not problems at all. 4690k running at 28 degrees idle, about 58 load.

HI Stork, I have this exact build, I just found your guide now. I run it for FCP X and Premiere pro. I had some issues with freezes initially, but that's because I migrated this install from my previous build (z87) and it needed some tweaks to become stable. I have a R9 280x sitting in my cupboard that I am thinking of putting in it, but am a little worried about stability, as when I had that card in the old machine, i used to get some freezes from time to time. Corsair RM750 power supply and Corsair Elite 130 mini ITX case. Do you think this is too much heat for a small build ?
The tonymacx86 doesn't recommend the AMD/ATI R9 graphics cards because of the lack of native support in OS X or AMD supplied drivers. YMMV.

I can not comment on the case's ability to handle the component heat as I have no experience with that large a PSU in a smaller ITX case. You can use the HWMonitor application to monitor the temperatures. (It's available in MultiBeast along with the required FakeSMC Plugins.)

vIDEObOY said:
also, I have the H version of this board, and set it to 4.0ghz in the bios, not problems at all. 4690k running at 28 degrees idle, about 58 load.
The Gigabyte "H" motherboards are not designed for OC'ing; that's what the "Z" motherboards are for as they have "tougher" components. So, I can not recommend OC'ing which also raises the heat output of the processor causing the processor cooler and case fans to work harder which results in a noisier system.

thanks for the reply. great insight. I am wondering if you have tried the machine with sys defs of 15.1 yet, I think it was your posts that mentioned it would be available in multibeast soon and is using the hasswell refesh cpu imac retina(which it now is) do you recommend this over 14.2 ?

thanks for the reply. great insight. I am wondering if you have tried the machine with sys defs of 15.1 yet, I think it was your posts that mentioned it would be available in multibeast soon and is using the hasswell refesh cpu imac retina(which it now is) do you recommend this over 14.2 ?
Well, a lot of water has flowed over the dam since we were awaiting the use of the iMac15,1 System Definition. Now, for the H/Z97N based systems, I recommend either the iMac14,1 (using HD4600) or iMac14,2 (with a graphics card).

Stork,

Is there a newbie guide for selecting the correct memory? You suggest that I read the Gigabyte QVL, Crucial QVL, but for the life of me, I can't understand if my RAM is on the list or not.

Since the Sport used to be listed in Nov 2014, that is what I bought:

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) UDIMM Memory BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00/ BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00

But I've read and re-read and seems that my system freezes only point to the RAM I purchased.

So, I'm open to buying new recommended RAM on the list, for example:

Crucial Ballistix Tactical BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0 16GB 240-Pin DIMM DDR3 1600, PC3 12800, Desktop Memory

But how do I know it's supported?

My system components are:

- BitFenix No Power Supply Mini-ITX Tower Case BFC-PHE-300-KKXKK-RP
- Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00
- Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K
- Corsair CS Series 550 Watt ATX Modular and Efficient Power Supply CS550M
- Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT256MX100SSD1
- TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter,2.4GHz 450Mbps/5Ghz 450Mbps, Include Low-profile Bracket
- Cooler Master Hyper N520 - CPU Cooler with Copper Base and 5 Heat Pipes (RR-920-N520-GP)
- GIGABYTE GA-Z97N-WIFI LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI 6 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

Thank you so much for a great guide also.

Regards,

Scott

Unfortunately, the Sport is not listed in the Gigabyte H97N Memory Support List - at least that I could see on the List. However, I checked Crucial's website for your model of the Sport, and Crucial says it is supported for the GA-H97N-WiFI: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ga-h97n-wifi/CT5860400. Thus, the fact that the Sport is not on the Gigabyte list could be significant enough to be causing your freezes. BTW, I've checked your PSU, and it's Haswell "ready/certified."

So, before we rule out the Sport memory, let's check your BIOS as the BIOS might be contributor to the freezes as well. Check your BIOS settings against mine in the Original Post, especially:
Peripherals > XHCI Mode > Auto <--- Smart Auto gives you problems with USB peripherals
Peripherals > EHCI Hand-off > Enable
Power Management > Wake on LAN > Disable​
If your BIOS settings match mine, then it's probably the Sport memory causing your freezing, unfortunately.

The Tactical set you've listed has the model # BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0. In the Gigabyte H97N Memory Support List, the model # closely matches the listed BLT8G3D1608DT1TX0.16FED which is similar to the single stick model # of the 2x8GB "kit."

As for the using the Tactical memory, I'm using the following which is the 1.35 volt version.
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2x8GB) Memory Kit (BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0) - Amazon || Newegg
In the Gigabyte H97N Memory Support List, my Tactical 1.35 volt version closely matches the BLT8G3D1608DT1TX0.16FED, too.

Therefore, I'd judge that you're version of the Tactical will work - if the memory is causing the freezes.

As for the using the Tactical memory, I'm using the following which is the 1.35 volt version.

Hi Stork !

What's the difference between 1,35v and 1,5v on the memory ?

I ask that because mine is 1,5v (crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer BLT2CP8G3D1608DT2TXOBCEU) that was listed on the buyers guide. As I still have some problems having my power management works flawlesly (and cpu recognized as 3,7 instead of 3,69Ghz), and sleep is not working, I'm investigating every options :). And without XMP activated, memory is recognized at 1333mhz instead of 1600mhz so I need XMP ...

Not on gigabyte memory list, but my Z97X-UD5H is on the crucial list of compatibility ...

Thanks !

Thank you again.

I found that my "Peripherals > Initial Display Output > IGFX <--- make sure on-board graphics is enabled" was set incorrectly, so I changed that, but unfortunately still get freezing.

With the recommended RAM, I see they are 1.5V instead of your 1.35V. Should I be concerned that they aren't the same?

If no concern, then I will order the following and give that a try:

>> As for the using the Tactical memory, I'm using the following which is the 1.35 volt version.
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2x8GB) Memory Kit (BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0) -Amazon || Newegg

Scott

Hi Stork !

What's the difference between 1,35v and 1,5v on the memory?
Oh, I don't know. I bought the 1.35 volt when it was on sale and recommended to me by MacMan. I bought it a long time ago. The good news is that it's on the Memory List as is the 1.5 volt version. (IIRC, the 1.35 volt version has more headroom for memory OC'ing, but I'm guessing.) As far as I can tell, either the 1.35 or 1.5 will work. Both of the Tactical (1.35 & 1.5) are on the Gigabyte Memory Support List.

el.Charlot said:
...I ask that because mine is 1,5v (crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer BLT2CP8G3D1608DT2TXOBCEU) that was listed on the buyers guide. As I still have some problems having my power management works flawlessly (and cpu recognized as 3,7 instead of 3,69Ghz), and sleep is not working, I'm investigating every options :). And without XMP activated, memory is recognized at 1333mhz instead of 1600mhz so I need XMP ...

Not on gigabyte memory list, but my Z97X-UD5H is on the crucial list of compatibility ...
To play it safe, your memory should be on both lists. But, the most critical list, IMO, is Gigabyte's.

With the recommended RAM, I see they are 1.5V instead of your 1.35V. Should I be concerned that they aren't the same?
No, as per my answer to el.Charlot above. I'd go for the less expensive version.

utahpow said:
If no concern, then I will order the following and give that a try:
Stork said:
... As for the using the Tactical memory, I'm using the following which is the 1.35 volt version.
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2x8GB) Memory Kit (BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0) - Amazon || Newegg
Go for it! :thumbup:

BTW, today, I decided to an old set of Crucial Vengeance Low Profile White 1.35 Volt (2x4GB) as I noticed that it, too, is on the Gigabyte H97N Memory Support List. So far, so good.
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DKZK84/
Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233199

Thanks again! I'll let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back