Contribute
Register

Guide for Gigabyte H/Z97N-WIFI Using HD4600 - Chimera/MultiBeast Method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork, thanks as always, been busy and not playing with it too much, but I am starting to think its a USB3 issue. I had started to get pretty random freezes, not just on wake.

I had added in the generic USB3 support and one of the external drives was plugged into it. Been running it today with that turned off and the drives in the USB2 ports. My little one was playing flash games before without an issue, and I've been going in and out of the drives to see if it will freeze.

Again thanks for the help.

Scott

PSU should be OK as Corsair says it's compatible with Haswell. However, I'm assuming you don't have a graphics card and are using HD4600.

Freezes on wake-up from sleep are caused by several things. Be sure you have Wake-on-LAN disabled in your BIOS and in the Energy Saver System Preference pane. Also, Eject/Unmount your external drives before you sleep and turn them off. You can turn them on after wake up.

For the previous posters who want an El Cappy installation/update guide for Hector...well, you're going to have to wait a couple of weeks. First, I'm traveling visiting family and friends.

Second, before I left, I installed El Cappy (10.11.0) without much trouble using the tonymacx86 guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html. The only problem, which is why I'm not yet publishing an installation guide, is the well documented USB 3/2 port problems. I have some USB 2 ports but no USB 3 ports (which are acting like USB 2 ports). So, it looks like I'm going to have to use the modified DSDT procedure when I return from travel unless RehabMan (http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/173616-guide-10-11-usb-changes-solutions.html) and/or the Clover team fixed the problem.

Being an Early Adopter is hell. (Wonder who said that? :lol:)

BTW, my experience is that a new OS X release is best installed at or after the .3 update. So, unless you want to just fool around, wait until the bugs are fixed. :thumbup:

Stork, can i have your dsdt???

Great Guide!Currently going to build Z97N wifi build,i3 4330 and 4 GB RAM :D anyway....can you plz explain me how did the imac card work?i understood the adapter thing but how did you use the four antenna ports(on the imac card) on the z97n mobo?as it has only 2 antennas...:( would be happy if you could answer!great guide again!cheers!:thumbup:

Stork, can i have your dsdt???
When I get my system working correctly, I'll post it if I needed to use a modified version. I'm currently looking into using Clover's ability to apply DSDT patches so you don't have to edit the full DSDT and possibly screw it up.

Great Guide!Currently going to build Z97N wifi build,i3 4330 and 4 GB RAM :D anyway....can you plz explain me how did the imac card work?i understood the adapter thing but how did you use the four antenna ports(on the imac card) on the z97n mobo?as it has only 2 antennas...:( would be happy if you could answer!great guide again!cheers!:thumbup:
See the link in my signature block; it has several pictures.

I removed the bluetooth/wireless card on the motherboard and that fixed my bluetooth connectivity issue with the dongle.

I recommend you remove the Gigabyte WiFi/BT card to eliminate any problems this could be causing since you're using a external BT USB dongle.

Also, boot with the "-v" boot flag to see where it stops/hangs.

I recommend you remove the Gigabyte WiFi/BT card to eliminate any problems this could be causing since you're using a external BT USB dongle.

Also, boot with the "-v" boot flag to see where it stops/hangs.
I removed the bluetooth/wireless card on the motherboard and that fixed my bluetooth connectivity issue with the dongle.
Good! BTW, Hector seems to operate just like an iMac with the iMac WiFi/BT card and adapter card (should you ever decide to go wireless).

Hello! I just purchased parts for this system that will be here by Monday. I see that you have TRIM enabled on your ssd with Mavericks on it. I will be doing a fresh install on a 850 EVO for Yosemite and am wondering about the TRIM issues in doing so. Is it still recommended to use a 850 EVO for TRIM on Yosemite or should I go about finding a different brand ssd?

Just got my system up and running

EVO 850
H97N-WIFI
i5-4690
16GB (2x8GB Crucial)

I am on 10.10.5 and am wondering if I should enable trim.

Just got my system up and running

EVO 850
H97N-WIFI
i5-4690
16GB (2x8GB Crucial)

I am on 10.10.5 and am wondering if I should enable trim.
Yes. Use TRIM as Samsung recommends it.

Hi Stork, et al,

Thanks for the detailed guides and discussion!

GA-Z97N-WIFI (F7)
i7 4790K
16GB Crucial Ballistix PC3 RAM
Internal graphics

I'm attempting to install Yosemite, and I keep getting either the Boot0 or "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device" errors.

I've followed the setup guide for creating the Chimera Yosemite USB stick for non legacy systems, and followed the instructions in this thread for BIOS settings.

I've disconnected the SSD, and the only things plugged into the computer are keyboard via front USB2, VGA monitor via an adaptoid on the DVI port and the Lexar USB3 drive with Chimera plugged into a rear USB3 port. I also tried the USB stick on the front USB 2 ports.

I've also tried a (lexar usb3) stick I created with Clover on it, and that also throws the same error.

Also tried a lexar USB3 stick with windows7 installer on it and that *does* boot into the windows installer.

Based on the fact that it's booting into the Win7 drive, I would assume that there's something wrong with my bios settings, but I've triple checked those, and they are correct. Alas, no matter what I seem to try, I can't even boot into the Chimera or Clover boot loaders.

I've searched this forum, but the results I was finding about this error seems to be from folks who have already installed the OS, and then their SSD or HDD won't boot, but I can't even get to the point of trying to install.

Any ideas?

thanks!

AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back