Register

[Guide] Fanless mini Mojave: i5-8600 | Gigabyte Z370N WiFi | Intel HD630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confirmed:
  • Lilu 1.3.5 in /L/E
  • WEG 1.2.7 in /L/E
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 10.33.28.png
  • The entries for framebuffer have been unchanged since about 10.14.2 in my config.plist.
  • Lastly, yes, 18.1 was the original imac SMBIOS setting I found worked when I first tried 10.14 way back. Was not good but was the only one I could get to work. With the framebuffer stuff it's really solid (should be).
My files on github reflect the above and are what I am currently running.

Should be no diff between i7 and i5 8-series. I think the i3 has a lower version of Intel HD and that causes problems. But not the i7. Should be fine.

What BIOS are you on? F10 is the most recent that works without a fix (here).

Confirmed:
  • Lilu 1.3.5 in /L/E
  • WEG 1.2.7 in /L/E
  • View attachment 397009
  • The entries for framebuffer have been unchanged since about 10.14.2 in my config.plist.
  • Lastly, yes, 18.1 was the original imac SMBIOS setting I found worked when I first tried 10.14 way back. Was not good but was the only one I could get to work. With the framebuffer stuff it's really solid (should be).
My files on github reflect the above and are what I am currently running.

Should be no diff between i7 and i5 8-series. I think the i3 has a lower version of Intel HD and that causes problems. But not the i7. Should be fine.

What BIOS are you on? F10 is the most recent that works without a fix (here).

Thx - will double check it all right now
BIOS: Yeah, I'm on F10

@xmark So where I'm getting stuck here, I think maybe, is that your Config.plist has many differences from what is described in the original post here in the thread.

The CsrActiveConfig is still 0x67 in your Config and there are probably 6 times as many Frambuffer property entries vs the original post here.

Should the original post be sort of discounted completely at this point and I should just try to mirror your Config.plist?

your Config.plist has many differences from what is described in the original post here in the thread

What I describe in the body of my guide in the first post is what I did early on. I've tried to keep it up to date. When more framebuffer options were identified, I decided there were too many to write individually into that post. So I made a note:

The following device list is now incomplete. @Rajkhand has updated with definitions for DP as well as HDMI, plus allocating 2048MB for igpu memory. Suggest you copy the entries from the attached updated config.plist. If you simply use that whole file, remember to select 18.1 in the SMBIOS section.

I'll edit that post to be more clear. Sorry it wasn't. My bad.

should just try to mirror your Config.plist?

Yes, mirror the config.plist that is attached. Or just use it and remember to fill in the 18.1 in SMBIOS so it populates all the fields with unique IDs to prevent clashes on Apple services. It's the framebuffer stuff that you need.

I should have asked you to post your config.plist and I'd have spotted immediately. I assumed you were using it anyway.

I kept the original post because it shows the logic I followed as I built the machine which I think is useful for people to see. It's how I learned what I now know. Tried to be clear, but I was lazy at the same time.

@xmark

Thank you for all that clarity - MUCH appreciated!!

I had seen your note about the incomplete device list - I think my head is just spinning after 2 straight days of endless config testing here. lol :crazy:

Have updated to BIOS F12.

[EDIT: after using F12, I've found wake from system-sleep to be unreliable. While I'm investigating, I've reverted to F10]

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 23.02.39.png

Followed the procedure detailed by @b166ar and @themaxx32000 here. There's a lot of error messages about GUID does not match expected GUID but I ignored.

Only addition I'd make is after you have set the variables and before exiting the Grub shell, double check you've correctly set the 2 variables by the following (in the Grub shell):

setup_var 0x5A4

(should yield 0x0)

if you've entered correctly, and

setup_var 0x507

(should yield 0x1)

The first time I did these I managed not to save the new values and the boot hung. Went back, found I hadn't saved them for some reason, repeated, checked and all was okay.

As B1 says, when you reboot after, you need to reset BIOS to "load optimised defaults" and then the following:
  1. Set Peripherals/Initial Display Output: IGFX
  2. Set Peripherals/USB Config/Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled
  3. Set Chipset/VT-d: Disabled
  4. Set Chipset/Internal graphics: Enabled
  5. Set Chipset/DVMT Pre-allocated: 128M
  6. Set Chipset/DVMT Total GFX Mem: 256M

Last edited:
What's the benefit of doing a BIOS update on this build?

What's the benefit of doing a BIOS update on this build?

support the newest series of Intel processors (the 9th Gen).

Yes, 9th Gen support. (Which I don't have right now, but I might.)

Also I wanted the claimed performance & stability in the F11 update which was:
  1. Support of future 9th Generation Intel® Core™ processors
  2. Update CPU microcode
  3. Update Intel IRST version
  4. Improved system performance and stability
But I admit, I have no evidence of poor performance or lack of stability. Merely the promise of better is enough for me :lol:

There are two kinds of computer users. One kind uses their computer and gets on with what they're supposed to be doing. The second kind spends all their time looking for enhancements, upgrades, tweaks, modifications, customisations, improvements, go faster stripes, etc. I'm definitely in that group :)

Hmmm. 2 times (in 2.5 days) since going to F12 my machine has not woken from sleep. Monitor seems to wake but not resume DP connection. Then cycles through the inputs (1xDp, 2xHDMI) looking for a signal. Not finding one, the monitor goes to standby.

Not happy about this! Was previously 100% reliable waking from sleep. Maybe I've not set the BIOS settings as they were before. Maybe the F12 upgrade has some glitch. Maybe the modification procedure had some unintended consequence or maybe I didn't do it properly (most likely!).

To try and narrow down to the BIOS version, have gone back to F10. If no sleep problems (a week minimum) (never mind a week, I couldn't wait) then I'll go back to F12 and see if I get them again.

[EDIT] have tested quite a few times under F10 with both light sleep and deep sleep. 100% response so far. Will keep testing and then go back to F12 in a while and see if can reproduce.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back