Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna make this build but I have some questions, I am so skeptic.

After all my research, I choose this build.

Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Intel H170 DDR4 LGA1151 USB 3.0 mITX.
Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GT 730 2GB 128Bit DDR3 (DX11.2) PCI-E 2.0 (GV-N730-2GI).
Intel Core i7 6700 Soket 1151 3.4GHz 8MB Önbellek 14nm.
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB(2x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4.
**Not ssd for now, HDD 750 GB.

My questions are;
1- Will I need any external wifi/bt card for continuity/handoff things.
2- will my nvidia card make any difference ? Or onboard will do for 1080p (I want a good graphics not bad by the way) (I'm a programmer, not graphical designer, I just work with text based programs)

Thanks for your replies.

I wanna make this build but I have some questions, I am so skeptic.

After all my research, I choose this build.

Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Intel H170 DDR4 LGA1151 USB 3.0 mITX.
Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GT 730 2GB 128Bit DDR3 (DX11.2) PCI-E 2.0 (GV-N730-2GI).
Intel Core i7 6700 Soket 1151 3.4GHz 8MB Önbellek 14nm.
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB(2x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4.
**Not ssd for now, HDD 750 GB.

My questions are;
1- Will I need any external wifi/bt card for continuity/handoff things.
2- will my nvidia card make any difference ? Or onboard will do for 1080p (I want a good graphics not bad by the way) (I'm a programmer, not graphical designer, I just work with text based programs)

Thanks for your replies.
1 - yes. You will need Broadcom Wi-Fi chip (you can read about it in the first post of this thread). It installs in m.2 slot, instead of current Intel Wi-Fi Chip that Gigabyte motherboard supplies with (well at least that's what I did).
2. It will for big resolutions and dual screen, but if you just need 1080p via HDMI - internal HD530 will do. That's how I use it too. It will probably capable of even bigger resolutions like 4K, but I didn't test it that way.
P.S. Wi-fi chip and HDMI video output works just after you install everything according to start post of the thread. But you will probably have problems with audio over HDMI... but there's way to get it working (you can find posts in this thread).

I would advise you to get SSD... come on it's way faster to work this way :) Especially m.2 one, second m.2 slot (that's not occupied by wi-fi chip) is on the back of motherboard, so you can just throw 120gb or 256gb there and never worry about it taking up space in your case. That's pretty handy.

1 - yes. You will need Broadcom Wi-Fi chip (you can read about it in the first post of this thread). It installs in m.2 slot, instead of current Intel Wi-Fi Chip that Gigabyte motherboard supplies with (well at least that's what I did).
2. It will for big resolutions and dual screen, but if you just need 1080p via HDMI - internal HD530 will do. That's how I use it too. It will probably capable of even bigger resolutions like 4K, but I didn't test it that way.
P.S. Wi-fi chip and HDMI video output works just after you install everything according to start post of the thread. But you will probably have problems with audio over HDMI... but there's way to get it working (you can find posts in this thread).

I would advise you to get SSD... come on it's way faster to work this way :) Especially m.2 one, second m.2 slot (that's not occupied by wi-fi chip) is on the back of motherboard, so you can just throw 120gb or 256gb there and never worry about it taking up space in your case. That's pretty handy.

Thank you so much.
So my build will do ? And have my mobo (motherboard) enough slot for external wifi card and GPU unit (my nvidia card) ?

If you guys say me, "its ok bro, this build will do! You can buy it.", I'll buy it tonight ! :D

Thank you so much.
So my build will do ? And have my mobo (motherboard) enough slot for external wifi card and GPU unit (my nvidia card) ?

If you guys say me, "its ok bro, this build will do! You can buy it.", I'll buy it tonight ! :D
its ok bro, this build will do! You can buy it.
:))
But all jokes aside, you have to understand that setting up hackintosh is not like just installing Windows 10.
So you'll probably run into some troubles, like no audio via audio jack or other problems, but if you follow this guide and know what you doing, it will probably be successful and community will help out with minor problems like iMessages fix and etc (if you know how to search, you can find all the fixes on this forum or other hackintosh communities).

And have my mobo (motherboard) enough slot for external wifi card and GPU unit (my nvidia card) ?
This mobo have one pci-e slot so you can fit one GPU unit only.
And it has 2 m.2 slots, one is for wifi card, other is on the back of mobo and you can input internal ssd there if you want.
For all Apple services to work you have to get BCM94352Z chip (google it, I got mine of AliExpress) and replace Intel chip that installed in mobo with BCM94352Z one.

its ok bro, this build will do! You can buy it.
:))
But all jokes aside, you have to understand that setting up hackintosh is not like just installing Windows 10.
So you'll probably run into some troubles, like no audio via audio jack or other problems, but if you follow this guide and know what you doing, it will probably be successful and community will help out with minor problems like iMessages fix and etc (if you know how to search, you can find all the fixes on this forum or other hackintosh communities).

This mobo have one pci-e slot so you can fit one GPU unit only.
And it has 2 m.2 slots, one is for wifi card, other is on the back of mobo and you can input internal ssd there if you want.
For all Apple services to work you have to get BCM94352Z chip (google it, I got mine of AliExpress) and replace Intel chip that installed in mobo with BCM94352Z one.

Any tutorial for that ?

Any tutorial for that ?
For what exactly? Everything you need you can find in this thread or in thread dedicated to running Sierra on this build.

Hey guys,
quick question:
i have a h170n-wifi on mac osx sierra, the audio output (Realtek ALC1150) works fine, but i think about connecting the external DAC via optical Toslink. Would it work fine on hackintosh"ed H170N-WIFI ?

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back