Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
My setup with hd530 is running so far but unfortunately I only get 1080p resolution max on my asus rog 34" monitor. Z170n wifi board has only hdmi. How can I set the resolution to native 3440x1440?
- OS is latest El Capitan.

Thank you
Pixel Clock Patch is what you need. I know it will enable 1440p via HDMI, but not sure about the Ultrawide 1440p. You'll have to try and find out. Take a look at this article/video: https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/04/how-to-enable-4k-60hz-resolution-2016-macbook/

It's not specific for the hackintosh but the process is the same and you're installing the same thing. You'll have to do it a bit different to disable SIP on a hack too just FYI.

Pixel Clock Patch is what you need. I know it will enable 1440p via HDMI, but not sure about the Ultrawide 1440p. You'll have to try and find out. Take a look at this article/video: https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/04/how-to-enable-4k-60hz-resolution-2016-macbook/

It's not specific for the hackintosh but the process is the same and you're installing the same thing. You'll have to do it a bit different to disable SIP on a hack too just FYI.

Thank you - I managed to get 3440x1440 now by following ammulder's guide (without the way you described above). However, It does not scale to the full "real estate" I have on the monitor. Above and Below are is about 1 inch left while on the right and left side, it is about 2 inches each. Any idea how I can scale to the full monitor size? Thank you very much in advance.

Thank you - I managed to get 3440x1440 now by following ammulder's guide (without the way you described above). However, It does not scale to the full "real estate" I have on the monitor. Above and Below are is about 1 inch left while on the right and left side, it is about 2 inches each. Any idea how I can scale to the full monitor size? Thank you very much in advance.
Are you using that switch res software or whatever it is called?

Are you using that switch res software or whatever it is called?
I did before, but uninstalled it. Reading your post you brought me to the idea reinstalling it to "rescale" - however, I did not work so I uninstalled it again. Any further idea how to use full size is very welcome.

I did before, but uninstalled it. Reading your post you brought me to the idea reinstalling it to "rescale" - however, I did not work so I uninstalled it again. Any further idea how to use full size is very welcome.
I would try and install the pixel clock patch.

I would try and install the pixel clock patch.
Yesssssss!!!! got it all working now. I just changed the HDMI port on the H170N-Wifi and boooooooooooommmmm!!!! All finally working. Thank you so much for your support and also a big freaking special super Thank You to AMULLDER. You guys rock!

Trying to work out a few more quirks with my hackintosh build:

1. If I walk away from the computer for a few hours (without putting it to sleep), come back, and turn on the monitor, the wifi will work for about a minute then just stop functioning. The only way to get it back is to restart the computer. Any idea on how to fix this?
2. When I lose the wifi, the wireless mouse is more difficult to use (it becomes slower and jerky). I hope that this is linked to the wifi issue.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
A special thanks to Ni6htWalker for all the previous help.

• H170N-WIFI
  • Core i7-6700
  • 2x16 GB DDR4-2400 Crucial Ballistix Sport
  • Integrated HD530 graphics
  • Samsung 850 Evo 500GB 2.5" SSD
  • BCM94352Z chip m.2 WiFi/Bluetooth card

no idea man how to fix your wifi issue,i dont use the wifi on this build,go to youtube and send a message to this guy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxTfW1vQNaelNRjldvRKwMA he knows a lot about hackintosh.

Hi guys,

I got my hackintosh up and running fine.

Now, I've just received my BCM94352Z DW1560 wifi card and swapped the original Intel card for it. When I press power, the computer won't start at all, nothing happens.

If I swap back to the Intel card, it works fine. Or if I have no card in the M.2 slot, it's fine as well, it boots like normal.

It looks like no one else had this issue. I've run searches but couldn't find anything that helped.

Any idea what I should do? I've reset the bios settings, but that didn't help. It looks like there's a hardware protection that prevents to boot with that card. Which shouldn't be the case since many other people have used the same card.

Or maybe I need to update the bios firmware? Or reset something that will get the motherboard to accept the new card?

It could be that the DW1560 card is defective, but that's not something I can check.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Trying to work out a few more quirks with my hackintosh build:

1. If I walk away from the computer for a few hours (without putting it to sleep), come back, and turn on the monitor, the wifi will work for about a minute then just stop functioning. The only way to get it back is to restart the computer. Any idea on how to fix this?
2. When I lose the wifi, the wireless mouse is more difficult to use (it becomes slower and jerky). I hope that this is linked to the wifi issue.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
A special thanks to Ni6htWalker for all the previous help.

• H170N-WIFI
  • Core i7-6700
  • 2x16 GB DDR4-2400 Crucial Ballistix Sport
  • Integrated HD530 graphics
  • Samsung 850 Evo 500GB 2.5" SSD
  • BCM94352Z chip m.2 WiFi/Bluetooth card

In system preferences under energy saver make sure "Wake for Wi-Fi network access" is not checked! Additionally, I believe there is a BIOS setting about waking for Wi-Fi or network access, make sure that is also disabled.

My Monitor is DVI only... is it possible to do the installation with the DVI connector on the board? Or do I need a HDMI Monitor? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back