Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there! First time builder here. I have followed this and the tonymac guide to the letter to do a fresh install of EL Capitan on a Z170N-WIFI with:

i7 6700
2x16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200
EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I keep getting the "essentials.pkg" error 10 minutes into the install.

I have done a few things people have suggested such as adding boot flags, using different USBs, re-downloading the EL Capitan installer and Unibeast, leaving one RAM stick in, tried with integrated GFX and GPU. Same results for each one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

use just 1 memory stick,disconnect the other hard drive,use the config,plist from this thread.

cool news!!just update clover configurator to fix the ram issue
Thanks. It was just incredibly frustrating knowing I had the proper parts but it wouldn't work.

I don't think I'm going to attempt to update to Sierra until its guaranteed to work. I have it on my MBP so it's no loss if I have to wait.

Thanks. It was just incredibly frustrating knowing I had the proper parts but it wouldn't work.

I don't think I'm going to attempt to update to Sierra until its guaranteed to work. I have it on my MBP so it's no loss if I have to wait.
cool man,im not going to update to Mac Sierra soon because Avid & Apogee need to release sierra drivers,Avid take too much time to release 11 rack drivers.

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 5.11.52 PM.png
I've entered this in about 4 times now but am still coming up with 8GB of RAM

View attachment 212637
I've entered this in about 4 times now but am still coming up with 8GB of RAM
That same thing happened to me until I entered the Vendor name and Serial numbers. After that, it showed up in "About this Mac" perfectly. Go ahead and enter that info and you should be good.

Does anyone know a good site to order Broadcom BCM94352Z in Europe? Amazon.co.uk shipped it form china and it took like 25 days to receive it!

That same thing happened to me until I entered the Vendor name and Serial numbers. After that, it showed up in "About this Mac" perfectly. Go ahead and enter that info and you should be good.
Ill have to pop it open to get the serial then. Don't have the packaging on hand. I was able to ender the vendor though and get it to save. That resulted in About This Mac saying "8 GB ???" Lol

Ill have to pop it open to get the serial then. Don't have the packaging on hand. I was able to ender the vendor though and get it to save. That resulted in About This Mac saying "8 GB ???" Lol

just put in whatever you want, it doesnt matter. I put in 1234 for serial and model

FYI, if you are doing a fresh install I would recommend modifying the default config.plist file in the first post to be a iMac14,2 otherwise you will have issues when you go to upgrade to sierra. its a lot easier to just pick the new machine definition now rather than monkey around later with it, thats for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back