Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your screenshot shows that you have stuck at "still waiting for root device".
Still waiting for root device while installing means that your USB installer cannot be found.
This is usually because you have a USB3 flash drive or you have the flash drive in a USB3 port.
If this is the case move it to a(another) USB2 port and repeat until you have tried them all.
If it still doesn't work use a different flash drive.

See :
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/big-list-of-solutions-for-el-capitan-install-problems.173991/

Please read and comply with the rules :
Thanks P1lgrim. I updated my profile to include my hardware. I also ran out and grabbed a USB 2.0 16GB stick. I remade the stick with UNIBEAST and put the updated USBInjectall kext on it. I also replaced the plist with the one in this thread. Still getting the same issue. Any other ideas? Also, I get new errors with the -v

Attachments

• IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
WoooHooo! I got in and I am installing now! It was a setting called IOAPIC in the BIOS that I disabled. Finally worked with cpus=1 -v boot arguments after that. Thanks again for the help.

I went ahead and bit the bullet. Followed directions here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/direct-update-to-macos-sierra-using-clover.201465/

Had to pick Without Caches, Inject Kexts, and disable nvidia web driver to get install to finish. Went pretty good, but I have no audio / bluetooth / wifi at this point. I'm using the wifi/bluetooth card recommended in the OP, but unfortunately the download links for RehabMan's patches are giving "Access Denied", so kinda screwed on that for now :)

Aside from that I'm up and running w/ Sierra and latest nvidia web drivers. Less pain than I expected, although we will see what it takes to get bt/wifi/audio working again.

Edit: bitbucket and/or s3 fixed their issue, so I was able to download RehabMan's kext packages. Installed per the OP, rebooted, and my bluetooth is now working (magic mouse and bluetooth headphones), but still no wifi.

Edit: By the way, I started having bluetooth stuttering again after upgrading. Turns out this was my fault all along. When I installed the replacement card, I didn't want to take the CPU out, so I messed around with it endlessly and finally installed it. But I couldn't get the screw in the top, so I left it out. I put it in just now, and my signal went from -75, -80dBm to a consistent -51dBm. So that screw matters a lot! :)

Last edited:
Trying to get El Cap installed and right after I select "Boot Mac OS X from Installer" I get the white circle with the slash. I've tried all four USB ports with a 8GB and an external HDD with a 16GB partition. Do I have to go out and grab a USB 3.0 drive?

ok, I was able to get Sierra to install (had to create a new config.plist file via multibeast) but now my networking won't work? I tried downloading the latest ktext files via the guide and installed them with ktextbeast but it didn't work, it only made my bluetooth stop working. ideas?

ok, I was able to get Sierra to install (had to create a new config.plist file via multibeast) but now my networking won't work? I tried downloading the latest ktext files via the guide and installed them with ktextbeast but it didn't work, it only made my bluetooth stop working. ideas?

Is it your wifi or your ethernet that isn't working? If ethernet, make sure that you are using the correct port (one of the two ports does not work). I'm not at my desktop, but I believe the working port has two USB 3.0 directly under it.

Tried booting with -v. It tells me "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform."

Any tips?

Ethernet, wifi and Bluetooth arent working. Ethernet is in the correct port.

On Sierra my USB 3 ports have stopped working. Any quick fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back