Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I followed this guide and got my 10.11.6 build up and going almost flawlessly. The only major piece that still doesn't work is the ethernet. According to this guide, it should have just worked out of the box, practically, from what I've seen. I haven't seen anyone have problems with it like I am having.

When I plug the ethernet cable in, the LEDs on the port light up as if it were working, but the OS doesn't recognize it at all. I am using the ethernet port that is not the problematic one by the USB ports.

Where do I start for troubleshooting this? Thank you.

Assuming you're using the same motherboard as listed on page 1 of this guide, the ethernet port above the USB-C port does not function properly. You need to use the other ethernet port - that one works perfectly.

Assuming you're using the same motherboard as listed on page 1 of this guide, the ethernet port above the USB-C port does not function properly. You need to use the other ethernet port - that one works perfectly.

Well I thought I had plugged it into the correct port but I had not.

Thanks for being patient with a bonehead. X___X

Just wondering what the best way to get wifi going on the GA-Z170N-WiFi/ GA-H170N-WiFi boards is? Does a USB adapter work fine? I already use the PCI for GPU btw.

Just wondering what the best way to get wifi going on the GA-Z170N-WiFi/ GA-H170N-WiFi boards is? Does a USB adapter work fine? I already use the PCI for GPU btw.

Did you replace the motherboard's wireless card? The Intel wireless card that the motherboard ships with is not compatible with OS X. You need to purchase and install the Broadcom BCM94352Z wireless card. Then you'll need to install the requried kexts in step 15 of the Post-Installation Configuration section of this guide.

My WiFi and Bluetooth work great with the Broadcom BCM94352Z card so long as I use the motherboard's included antenna, otherwise the signals are too weak.

Did you replace the motherboard's wireless card? The Intel wireless card that the motherboard ships with is not compatible with OS X. You need to purchase and install the Broadcom BCM94352Z wireless card. Then you'll need to install the requried kexts in step 15 of the Post-Installation Configuration section of this guide.

My WiFi and Bluetooth work great with the Broadcom BCM94352Z card so long as I use the motherboard's included antenna, otherwise the signals are too weak.

Thx @techgeec I haven´t build the computer yet but I'm planning to order the hardware later this week! Is there a physical guide how to put the Broadcom BCM94352Z on the board instead of the original?

Thx @techgeec I haven´t build the computer yet but I'm planning to order the hardware later this week! Is there a physical guide how to put the Broadcom BCM94352Z on the board instead of the original?

As long as you follow this guide completely (hardware and installation steps), you should be fine. Be sure to read through the guide, it'll answer most of your questions.

As for replacing the wireless card, you can see some of the steps in this video from 3:15 to 3:23:
You just unscrew the old one, detach the 2 wires, pull the card out, put the new one in, reattach the 2 wires, and screw the plastic plate back on. Simple

its not big deal to to install the Broadcom BCM94352Z,just remove the screws and 2 wires,just be sure to connect the wires again

Curious to hear everyone's success/failure with updating to Sierra on this build :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back