Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Last night I tried to install Sierra GM 2 through the app store, I had to update Clover to latest version for Clover to even see Mac OS Install after it rebooted. Once I finally got that to work the install got to about 3/4 of the white progress bar with the white apple above it and stayed there for hours. I finally rebooted and went back into El Captain and everything was working fine. Is there something I am missing that is keeping paused. Also when I update to Sierra GM 2 will there be anything beside the Nvidia Web Driver I need to fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The iMac14,2 is a stable SysDef just like the MacPro3,1. I've been using the 14,2 SysDef since El Capitan on all my Haswell & Skylake systems in preparation for Sierra. The iMac14,2 works very well for those systems with a discrete graphics card, while iMac14,1 works with on-board graphics.

You will not be able to install Sierra with the MacPro3,1 since Apple no longer supports the 2008 Mac Pro (3,1) in Sierra. So, you'll need to set up your current system with the iMac14,2 SysDef before you install Sierra.

You can use MultiBeast to change to the iMac14,2 SysDef by running MultiBeast and just selecting Customize > System Definitions > iMac > iMac14,2.

However, I just noticed you haven't defined your system in either your Profile or in your signature block per the Forum Rules and Policies. By doing so, you can help us help you better. :thumbup:

installation of Sierra will be through updates or clear installation ?
this is after identify mac as imac 14,2 as you mentioned
my Mother board :H170N

Yes, change your system definition to iMac14,2 while in El Capitan and make sure all is working correctly, including iMessage.

While we're still testing, you may be able to run the installer directly. If so, we'll have a guide for that set of procedures.:thumbup:

Everything (except for sleep) has been working perfectly. But I just noticed that every time I reboot my machine it creates a new boot entry in the BIOS. Right now it's up to 41 boot entries.

Each entry is the same as in the attached pic - [UEFI: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Partition 1] - but the second to last entry is always [UEFI OS (P5: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB)] and the last entry is always [P5: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB ]... not sure if any of that makes a difference. OS X 10.11.6 is the only OS installed and I only have 1 internal drive (Samsung 500GB SSD).

Any idea how I can safely remove the unnecessary entries and prevent this from happening in the future? Thanks!
IMG_0985.JPG

Everything (except for sleep) has been working perfectly. But I just noticed that every time I reboot my machine it creates a new boot entry in the BIOS. Right now it's up to 41 boot entries.

Each entry is the same as in the attached pic - [UEFI: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Partition 1] - but the second to last entry is always [UEFI OS (P5: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB)] and the last entry is always [P5: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB ]... not sure if any of that makes a difference. OS X 10.11.6 is the only OS installed and I only have 1 internal drive (Samsung 500GB SSD).

Any idea how I can safely remove the unnecessary entries and prevent this from happening in the future? Thanks!
View attachment 210759

It took me a few hours of Googling and troubleshooting but I finally solved this! For anyone else who's having this issue, I followed the instructions here:http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/tested-remove-extra-clover-bios-boot-entries.192587/

Before I followed those instructions, I flashed my BIOS in order to remove the unnecessary boot entries and then reset the required BIOS settings (as listed on page 1 of this guide) that were reverted during the flash.

Then I followed the guide. After that I needed to go back into the BIOS to reorder my boot entries so that Clover was first priority instead of last. Now it works like a charm and no more entries are created when I reboot.

I followed this guide and got my 10.11.6 build up and going almost flawlessly. The only major piece that still doesn't work is the ethernet. According to this guide, it should have just worked out of the box, practically, from what I've seen. I haven't seen anyone have problems with it like I am having.

When I plug the ethernet cable in, the LEDs on the port light up as if it were working, but the OS doesn't recognize it at all. I am using the ethernet port that is not the problematic one by the USB ports.

Where do I start for troubleshooting this? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back