Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to have the same problem: boot via USB, select El Capitan in Clover, Installer starts, after erasing&partitioning install starts fine. At 10/20 % of the install there is a sudden switch to a big window with one button labeled `restart`. Clicking on it leaves the system running with a gray screen. Waiting 10 minutes does not change anything both before click and after. I have checked and double checked my BIOS settings, nothing is different than the settings suggested by the OP.

Additional info:
El Capitan (10.11.6)
GA-Z170N-WIFI (BIOS version F6) + i7-6700 + 2x8GB Corsair 2133
Samsung SM951 AHCI 256 GB
Seagate 3 TB SATA
ASUS GTX950-OC-2GD5
Transcend USB3.1 32 GB

I have tried all permutations with disks, internal vs. PCIe card, and different USB ports, but nothing changed the result.

I´m quite new to all this, but isn´t there a way to switch to console at any moment and look at some logging? When I used FreeBSD this has helped me debugging several situations succesfully. Booting `verbose` sure made me remember FreeBSD:ugeek:.

My next step would be to vary the BIOS versions, but I don´t want to go there without confirmation that this version works.
Then I will switch to a more common USB2 stick...

I did it with an USB 3.0 Stick. That schould not be the Problem.
I think you have to remove the GTX 950, install El Capitan and then the nVidia driver. After installing the driver you can put in the GTX 950.

Sometimes it helps to renew the installation stick (format it an run Unibeast).

Is anyone using a 3440 x 1440 [21:9] monitor with internal graphics over HDMI and/or should this work?
Pretty sure you'll have to run the Pixel Clock patch to get that to work. Thats what I had to do to get my 1440p monitor to work via HDMI. It was easy and worked perfectly.

I did it with an USB 3.0 Stick. That schould not be the Problem.
I think you have to remove the GTX 950, install El Capitan and then the nVidia driver. After installing the driver you can put in the GTX 950.

Sometimes it helps to renew the installation stick (format it an run Unibeast).

I tried without the GTX 950 as well, but no luck. I´ll go with recreating the USB stick. Which BIOS version and OS X version did you have success with?

I tried without the GTX 950 as well, but no luck. I´ll go with recreating the USB stick. Which BIOS version and OS X version did you have success with?

I used OS X 10.11.6 and my BIOS is on version F5.

Pretty sure you'll have to run the Pixel Clock patch to get that to work. Thats what I had to do to get my 1440p monitor to work via HDMI. It was easy and worked perfectly.
Just took delivery of my iiyama Prolite XUB3490WQSU this morning and connected to the top HDMI port. It works (@30 hz) - so I don't need to bother with dual screens any longer. :)

Need to look at upping the refresh rate - Did you just follow the Pixel Clock instructions on Github?

The one problem I am grappling with is that if I switch the monitor off and then back on the screen is mainly black with a flickering distortion (mouse pointer) on the screen. I can log in via screen sharing from my MBA (it shows mouse with spinning beach ball) - I get control back via Screen Sharing if I physically disconnect the HDMI cable and I can then reboot it and plug the HDMI cable back in and all is back to normal.

Just took delivery of my iiyama Prolite XUB3490WQSU this morning and connected to the top HDMI port. It works (@30 hz) - so I don't need to bother with dual screens any longer. :)

Need to look at upping the refresh rate - Did you just follow the Pixel Clock instructions on Github?

The one problem I am grappling with is that if I switch the monitor off and then back on the screen is mainly black with a flickering distortion (mouse pointer) on the screen. I can log in via screen sharing from my MBA (it shows mouse with spinning beach ball) - I get control back via Screen Sharing if I physically disconnect the HDMI cable and I can then reboot it and plug the HDMI cable back in and all is back to normal.

My monitor is 2560x1440 so I'm assuming your ultrawide 1440p monitor will work, not sure though. Yes, I followed the directions on Github. I also watched a video that was done on a normal Mac so the process was a little different but helped visualize how it's done. Note that disabling SIP on a Hackintosh is different than on a regular Mac. You won't be able to boot into recovery mode by holding CMD+R. I disabled SIP through Clover Configurator.

To disable or enable SIP add the settings to your config.plist.

Clover Configurator > Rt Variables > BooterConfig and CsrActiveConfig

Relevant user options for SIP are as follows:
csr-active-config 0x0 = SIP Enabled (Default)
csr-active-config 0x67 = SIP Disabled completely

The video I watched is here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back