Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely great guidance, thanks a lot. Have build a system based on a GA-Z170N-Wifi and it works perfect.
Almost, the only problem I have is that El Capitan does not recognize the 16MB Ram. It shows only 8 Mb.
Any Ideas ? remedy are most appreciated.

First Hackintosh build and.. succes!!

Deep & unreserved gratitude for Ammulder, way to go man - your guide is impeccable!!!

Thanks also go to tonymac and all people writing in the forum...

Gigabyte H170n WIFI
BIOS F3
Core i7-6700
2x 8 GB DDR4-2133 CRUCIAL
ASUS GeForce GT 730 2GB
Samsung 850 Evo SATA SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Thermaltace Core V1 [case]
Dell U2515H [monitor]

OS X El Capitan 10.11.5

I've got a build going using the H170N-WIFI. Install went smooth, now I'm trying to drive my Dell U2711 with resolutions greater than 1080p. I'm attached using HDMI & don't seem to see resolutions in settings @ 2560?

Same here with Dell U2515H, connected with HDMI on GT730

I installed these nvidia drivers for OS X 10.11.5 http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/102822/en-us

Max resolution I can select is 2048x1152 (no option for 2560x1440)

I believe it’s a Dell issue not giving full resolution via HDMI connection...

What monitors is everyone running for those who did not opt for a dedicated graphics card? I'm assuming this motherboard cannot run 4k @ 60hz via DVI or HDMI.

Can it run 2560 x 1440 at 60hz? Can it run 2 monitors at that resolution/refresh rate via HDMI?

Thanks!

Thanks to ammulder's guide, installation was pretty straight forward even for a total newbie like me. It took only 2 hours to install both El Capitan 10.11.5 and Windows 10. However, I was experiencing all sorts of issues other people on this thread have mentioned. sleep/wake, shutdown, bluetooth, audio. duplicate clover entries, etc. I had to spent another 2 days to tackle those issues.

1. shutdown
When I shutdown the computer, it rebooted right away. "shutdown fix" in clover configurator solved this problem.

2. sleep/wake
When put the computer to sleep, it goes to sleep and then about a few seconds later it turns back on automatically. Turning off "wake for lan" didn't help. The link below helped me to identify the wake problem.
http://osxdaily.com/2010/07/17/why-mac-wakes-from-sleep/
It was bluetooth that is waking up the system. I unchecked "Allow bluetooth devices to turn on this computer" on bluetooth preferences, and now sleep/wake works perfectly.

3. audio
front/rear/hdmi audio all works but front/rear audio doesn't work when computer wakes from sleep. I tried CodecCommander.kext and it indeed solved the problem, however the computer wakes immediately after sleep again. I eventually removed CodecCommader.kext and just using hdmi audio for now. sleep/wake is more important than having perfectly working front/rear audio.

4. duplicate clover entry
It was actually much easier to use EasyUEFI to delete duplicate entries and prevent further duplicates than doing it on clover menu manually. On OS X I mounted EFI partition, renamed boot folder to boot.disabled. Rebooted to windows, using EasyUEFI deleted all duplicate entries and entries pointing to boot folder. And I created a new entry pointing to CLOVERX64. No further duplicates now.

5. apple wireless keyboard not connected automatically on windows
I had to keep re-pairing keyboard on OSX and windows back and forth. The link below totally solved the problem.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/d...-trackpad-and-magic-mouse-bluetooth-se.72201/

Thanks again ammulder for putting together an excellent guide here. Cheers!

I need to give my x10000 thanks to Ammulder with the detailed guideline. My building parts are nearly the same (using internal GPU) and it works fine. The difficult part is fine tuning those sleep/wake and flashing screen problems when using internal GPU. It's rather stable now but I'm still not confident which parameters I changed to make it better. The screen problems happening quite randomly so it's difficult to tell what's work or not.

I can say both the latest OS 10.11.5 and the BIOS version F4c works. Clover recognise the size and frequency of the Kingston RAM directly, though without manufacturer's name. I also enabled TRIM on Samsung EVO 850 SSD. You may find you have growing number of boot entries for every restart and you can find the fix here.

This is my first built, I used Migration Assistant to transfer everything from the original Mac. Later I found I have too many old stuffs that decent from multiple versions of OS. So I decided to reinstall the OS again and transfer files manually. Both ways work well :)

How about the USB? I have a GA-H170N-WIFI now running. I have the USB3 headers in use and USB2 headers unused. There is in the original post some files for this, but I can't figure out, which use case are they for? It says you have to give up either the USB2 headers or the USB3 headers. But do I need to edit the file somehow?

Found SSDT-USB-H170N-WIFI.aml and downloaded it and put it into EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched but do I need to do anything more? Do I need a kernel parameter to disable something? I am not using USBInjectAll.kext currently.

Edit:

Got it. Now 1) using the USBInjectAll.kext, 2) removed the 30 port patch from Clover config.plist, 3) added SSDT-USB-H170N-WIFI.aml and 4) added kernel parameters to disable the USB2 headers. Now everything works perfectly.

Only thing that I wonder about is that why should I put USBInjectAll.kext in both 10.10 and 10.11 kext folders under CLOVER/kexts? Why not just one or the folder common to all versions?

Last edited:
I'm using the same SSD (2.5" one). Can you open Disk Utility from the menu bar at the top? You should see the SSD but you need to Erase (format) it for the installation of OS.

Should we be installing kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 or /System/Library/Extensions or /Library/Extensions?
Also what kext installer works well? Or can we just drag and drop kexts into these folders?

Here is my build as of now.
CPU: i7 6700K (never overclocked so kind of a waste)
GPU: GTX 970 PNY (Perfect size and has blower cooler)
MOBO: GIGABYTE H170N-WIFI
Power Supply: SilverStone SFX 600w (although my build never exceeds 450W)
CPU Cooler: Corsair h60
SSD: Samsung EVO 500gb
RAM: 16gb DDR4 3000hz
SOUND: Built in/On board sound.

As for the connectivity, I am using just ethernet.

I installed Windows to check performance, and after running the benchmarks and monitoring the temps/usage, my machine works like a charm on Windows.

However, I tried to install OSX 10.11.5 and got a few problems, including sleep/wake disabling sound, Imessage not working, and the apparent fear that I would break the machine if I rebooted it.
However, since then I have tried reinstalling using multiple youtube/other forum guides, with little to no success. Now, I am feeling frustrated and am wondering if my build is even capable of running a hackintosh properly.

I would love for someone to confirm that my build will work, and I would also really love a list of multibeast options I should use for my specific build.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Do you have any issues with sleep/wake or shutdown? If you don't maybe I should buy an AMD graphics card instead.

Yeah, I have an issue with wake, the monitors don't come back; but I had this issue with the integrated graphics too. I've disabled the sleep in Energy Saver (checked 'Prevent computer sleeping automatically when the display is off').

No problems with shutdown.

Cheers,

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back