Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I followed your guide properly but the sleep works but I cannot awake the computer. After I push the power button, the case lights up and fan works but nothing shows up on the screen. I use hd 530 for graphics.

I followed your guide to install El Capitan on an old HDD in my new computer and it's working almost flawlessly, including:

• Dual-Booting with Windows 10 on a BitLockered SSD and OS X on an unencrypted HDD
  • Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Trackpad via the included Intel Bluetooth
  • Audio through DisplayPort to display's speakers
  • Internet connection via the USB-C adjacent Ethernet port.
When the BCM94352Z card arrives in a few weeks I look forward to having WiFi too.

Here are three things I noticed:

• My motherboard's BIOS didn't have an option to disable VT-d in the BIOS Features section, I could only find the one in the Chipset section
  • Enabling HiDPI mode works just as smooth as on a Mac, it can be activated using the following command:
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true
  • When I enable FileVault I'm no longer able to boot into OS X

Thank you again for writing this guide, I look forward to installing El Capitan on an SSD and migrating all my stuff over from my 2010 MacBook once I've figured out the FileVault issue.

You get sleep working?

i have same mobo Z170N gaming 5 with GTX 950 ..all works except usb 3.1
Shutdown instead Restart or wake up the computer with Power button only
dump the DSDT, delete _prw and _dsw on GLAN, XHC, XDCI and HDAS with maciasl, compile and save as aml
put it on EFI/CLover/ACPI/patched

Do you have a guide for this?

Well, I created a workaround for people who wanted sleep and to use bluetooth devices while using the BCM94352Z. Before, I could not have both a bluetooth keyboard and mouse when sleeping. If you checked "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake the computer" the machine would not sleep. If you had it unchecked...well then you can't wake the machine.

I patched the DSDT so now it "works". You can have a bluetooth kb/m and sleep the computer. All you need to do is press the power button to wake the machine. Luckily for me..it's within arms reach.

... You can have a bluetooth kb/m and sleep the computer. All you need to do is press the power button to wake the machine. Luckily for me..it's within arms reach.
Doesn't work in my case.

I mean: when I type on the keyboard or move the mouse, the PC wakes up (I can hear the fan blades moving) but there's no signal on monitor

Doesn't work in my case.

I mean: when I type on the keyboard or move the mouse, the PC wakes up (I can hear the fan blades moving) but there's no signal on monitor

I was referring to a workaround I created which requires a patched DSDT. Your issue is completely different from mine. I will upload it later

Anybody has resolved the Sleep problem? :(

At the moment I have a stable build with some minor variations. I have several questions.

Question 1 has to do with the MB bios. It still has the F3 bios. What is the difference between F3 and the most recent version F4? What are the advantages of upgrading to F4?

Question 2
I have a Gigabyte R9 380X GPU and according to the Radeon guide, it doesn't work with El Capitan. But, it does work with Yosemite. Are there any significant differences in installing Yosemite compared to the El Capitan installation?

Skylake i7 6700 - H170 WIFI - EVGA Supernova 550 G2 Gold 80 - Samsung 250 SSD - Samsung 500 M.2 SSD​

Question 2 I have a Gigabyte R9 380X GPU and according to the Radeon guide, it doesn't work with El Capitan. But, it does work with Yosemite. Are there any significant differences in installing Yosemite compared to the El Capitan installation?

Skylake i7 6700 - H170 WIFI - EVGA Supernova 550 G2 Gold 80 - Samsung 250 SSD - Samsung 500 M.2 SSD​

Yosemite doesn't support Skylake processor, so I believe you can only use El Capitan

I am stumbling at the first hurdle with a "No Entry Sign" when I try to do an install from a Unibeast USB stick.

My system is:
  • CASE: Streacom F1C WS EVO HTPC Chassis - Non Optical
  • MB: Gigabyte GA-H170N-Wifi [F4 BIOS]
  • CPU: Intel I7 6700T 2.8GHz 35W HD 530 8MB Quad Core CPU
  • CPU FAN: Noctua NH-L9i CPU Cooler
  • SYSTEM FAN: Noctua NF-A6x25
  • RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133MHz RAM/Memory Kit 2x 16GB
  • WIFI/BLUETOOTH: Broadcom BCM94352Z DW1560 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN + Bluetooth
  • HDD: Samsung M.2 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD
  • HDD2: Crucial MX300 750GB SSD (not yet installed)
  • HDD3: Crucial MX300 750GB SSD (not yet installed)
  • POWER: Mini-Box picoPSU-160-XT High Power 24 Pin Mini-ITX Power Supply
  • SUPPLY: LEICKE 150W Power Supply PSU Charger | 12V 12.5A 5.5 x 2.5 mm | For ITX pico PSU
I have followed all the instructions at the beginning of this thread to set-up the Unibeast install USB stick. In fact I have gone back and repeated them after the first couple of failures to double check I have done everything correctly.

When I boot from the Unibeast 6.2 USB stick, I pressed return (on the External drive) , I get the Apple logo and the bar progresses and then after a while I get a black screen with a "No Entry Sign".

So I rebooted in verbose mode and again get the "No Entry Sign" with the rest of the screen partially corrupted. After a period of time (20 minutes) I can see that the screen sort of tidies itself up and becomes more intelligible and I can make out messages such as:
  • 000036.640893 AppleUSBHostResources@: AppleUSBHostResources::allocateDownstreamBusCurrentGated: assuming successful wakeUnits 150 sleepUnits 0
  • USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): AA011115150221150125 0x781 0x5580 0x10, 3
  • 000037.657723 AppleUSBHostResources@: AppleUSBHostResources::allocateDownstreamBusCurrentGated: assuming successful wakeUnits 500 sleepUnits 0 [these messages keep repeating with mainly wakeUnits 150 ]
  • still waiting for root device
  • [repeating message see above]
  • Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI000/ .....
  • IOUSBMassStorageDriver/IOSCSILog
  • BSD root: disk0S2, major 1, minor 2
  • hfs: mounted Unibeast on device root_device
  • XCPM: registered
  • VMM Swap Subsystem is ON
  • Failed to open swap file 30
  • vm_swap_create_file falied @ 656 secs
  • Failed to open swap file 30
  • vm_swap_create_file failed @ 911 secs
  • [repeating message see above and the keeps repeating]
It occurred to me that as I am doing a brand new install using El Capitan 10.11.6 that this could be the issue?

Any help / suggestions as to how to proceed would be much appreciated. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back