Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am stuck on a video problem that I seen others have but their fixes did not work for me. My video card, GTX 1070, is not detected. Graphics shows as unknown 16mb. There is image tearing on the screen. I am physically plugged into the video card and not on the onboard video.

I installed the nvidia web driver successfully.
I repaired permissions to the /system/library
I rebuilt the cache using the 2 terminal commands.

I originally was on 10.11.3 but decided to upgrade to 10.11.6 to see if there would be any difference.

Rest of the rig:

asrock z170 itx mobo
2x 8gb corsair ram (only 8gb detected)
intel 6700 cpu
gigabyte gtx 1070 itx video card

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

@qnz, please update your profile (personal details) with your build (Motherboard or Model, CPU and Graphics Card).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

I am stuck on a video problem that I seen others have but their fixes did not work for me. My video card, GTX 1070, is not detected. Graphics shows as unknown 16mb. There is image tearing on the screen. I am physically plugged into the video card and not on the onboard video.
No support for the NVIDIA ‘Pascal’ graphics cards in El Capitan.
NVIDIA released graphics drivers for their 'Pascal' graphics cards for macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or higher.

No support for the NVIDIA ‘Pascal’ graphics cards in El Capitan.
NVIDIA released graphics drivers for their 'Pascal' graphics cards for macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or higher.

Thanks. I should have done more reading beforehand. Will upgrade to Sierra over the weekend.

Success

CPU: i7-6700
Mainboard: AsRock Fatal1ty z170 ITX/ac
RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666mhz
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 256GB
Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini Itx OC

Not Working: Wifi (It was working in El Capitan)
Not tested: Sleep

Going to post my notes here because I did not find a similar thread for my build. I hope this is useful to the next guy. There is a lot of information but spread among different posts and best options change every few months because there are new patches, or drivers or kexts to use. This was my first hackintosh ever and it took a few days to figure out.

I followed this guide exactly except for the following tweaks.

To get my NVMe SSD to even be detected in Sierra, I had to use Pikeralpha's patch found here
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...g-nvme-under-macos-sierra-is-ready/?p=2246306

as well as use IONVMeFamily.kext instead of the NVMeGeneric.kext. I manually added the patches but I see the new version of clover offers the patches.

To get the nvidia web drivers to load, I enabled NVRAM emulation using clover configurator. My config.plist has nvda_drv=1 and NvidiaWeb BOTH unchecked. I am using NVIDIA Web Driver 378.05.05.15f01. If I didnt enable NVRAM, PC would boot halfway and the progress bar would get stuck.

I am not going to test this hackintosh build much because the primary game I play, League of Legends, gets poor performance compared to when I had my PC on Windows with the same hardware. Maybe when I build another gaming PC with Ryzen, I will turn this PC back into a Mac.

View media item 188982

Last edited:
Is there anyone who uses this MoBo with IGPU on 10.12.5? Can you please PM me your Clover dir from EFI?

UPD: nevermind, not needed anymore

Last edited:
Does sleep works for anyone using this board? I'm thinking about buying it, but sleep is a big deal to me so I need to know. High Sierra especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back