Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Skylake NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which CPU is in your NUC?
Its a NUC Kit NUC6i5SYK with a Intel® Core i5-6260U running el Capitan 10.11.6 with clover, single boot.
(If you need further info or anything else, just contact me again.

Its a NUC Kit NUC6i5SYK with a Intel® Core i5-6260U running el Capitan 10.11.6 with clover, single boot.
(If you need further info or anything else, just contact me again.

So... HD540. It would be good information to have in your profile (because without it, the notes on ig-platform-id are without context and not useful).

I'll fiddle with it on my NUC to see if I notice any difference compared to 0x19260000.

I'll fiddle with it on my NUC to see if I notice any difference compared to 0x19260000.

I didn't notice any difference (I don't have the apps people mention issues with), and since people report some problems with 0x19260000 I switched my guide files (SSDT-IGPU.dsl) to use 0x19260002 instead.

When you compare the data in 0x19260000 with 0x19260002, there are quite a few differences, most of them in the "mystery" areas of the platform data (data that we have no idea on its purpose/meaning). Interesting that they both sort-of "work" with so many differences.

I didn't notice any difference (I don't have the apps people mention issues with), and since people report some problems with 0x19260000 I switched my guide files (SSDT-IGPU.dsl) to use 0x19260002 instead.

When you compare the data in 0x19260000 with 0x19260002, there are quite a few differences, most of them in the "mystery" areas of the platform data (data that we have no idea on its purpose/meaning). Interesting that they both sort-of "work" with so many differences.
Hi RehabMan,

Thanks a lot for your efforts and looking into this. I've been working with 0x19260002 for the last three days and everything worked like a charm. So at first sight your switch to 0x19260002 seems reasonable!
Regarding the apps: I wanted to connect to my NUC using the screen sharing feature (System Preferences-->Sharing-->Screen sharing). There is no specific app required for this so it should be easy to reproduce the error. You just have to enable the sharing on the NUC and try to connect with any other mac from your network. If you try this while using 0x19260000 the nuc will freeze, but with 0x19260002 everything works as supposed to.

Hi RehabMan,

Thanks a lot for your efforts and looking into this. I've been working with 0x19260002 for the last three days and everything worked like a charm. So at first sight your switch to 0x19260002 seems reasonable!
Regarding the apps: I wanted to connect to my NUC using the screen sharing feature (System Preferences-->Sharing-->Screen sharing). There is no specific app required for this so it should be easy to reproduce the error. You just have to enable the sharing on the NUC and try to connect with any other mac from your network. If you try this while using 0x19260000 the nuc will freeze, but with 0x19260002 everything works as supposed to.

OK. I didn't know what you meant by "screen sharing server", now I see you just mean "use remote desktop to access the NUC".

I'll test/try just as a verification.

Thanks a lot for this! Can I ask a question that if the thunderbolt works well? My current office iMac is extremely slow, 5400 hd, 1.6ghz cpu with a no working thunderbolt interface.... And the most ridiculous thing is, my boss doesn't allow me to use my MBPR, he said he doesn't like people bring their computers to the office.... I'd like to use a tiny hackintosh and hide it somewhere so it would not be found, use thunderbolt to connect to the iMac and pretending that I'm using the iMac, is it possible to use this nuc to implement my plan? The reason that I'm not going to using my MBPR is because the fan's sound is pretty loud, and my office is kind of quiet.... Thanks a lot in advance!

Thanks a lot for this! Can I ask a question that if the thunderbolt works well? My current office iMac is extremely slow, 5400 hd, 1.6ghz cpu with a no working thunderbolt interface.... And the most ridiculous thing is, my boss doesn't allow me to use my MBPR, he said he doesn't like people bring their computers to the office.... I'd like to use a tiny hackintosh and hide it somewhere so it would not be found, use thunderbolt to connect to the iMac and pretending that I'm using the iMac, is it possible to use this nuc to implement my plan? The reason that I'm not going to using my MBPR is because the fan's sound is pretty loud, and my office is kind of quiet.... Thanks a lot in advance!
Hi cyl19910101,

I think this depends a lot what you mean with "connect to the iMac". Normal NUCs only have a mini displayport, which is not equal to a thunderbolt interface. You can use the mini displayport to connect to whatever monitor and perhaps also to your iMac (depends on the version; see Apple support pages) to use it as a monitor. If that is what you want, then a normal NUC should be ok. If you need real thunderbolt, then you have to pick one of the following two:
DC3217BY
NUC6i7KYK

Afaik both should have thunderbolt. Not sure though, whether it works on hackintosh.

Hi cyl19910101,

I think this depends a lot what you mean with "connect to the iMac". Normal NUCs only have a mini displayport, which is not equal to a thunderbolt interface. You can use the mini displayport to connect to whatever monitor and perhaps also to your iMac (depends on the version; see Apple support pages) to use it as a monitor. If that is what you want, then a normal NUC should be ok. If you need real thunderbolt, then you have to pick one of the following two:
DC3217BY
NUC6i7KYK

Afaik both should have thunderbolt. Not sure though, whether it works on hackintosh.
Thank you very much about the information! When I said 'connect to the iMac' I mean use a thunderbolt cable to connect the hackintosh and the iMac, use iMac as a monitor, I've tried to use macbook output to iMac in this way, it works. However, when I tried to use DP 2 miniDP cable to connect my hackintosh and iMac, it doesn't work. And according to Apple's post https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204592, I'm not sure if iMac that have thunderbolt interface (Mid 2012-Mid 2014) can only be connected with thunderbolt, so I asked this question, tried to figure out if the thunderbolt interface in the hackintosh will work.

Hi cyl19910101,

DC3217BY
NUC6i7KYK

From this article http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-your-imac-as-a-monitor-with-target-display-mode/ which said : " If you have an old iMac with a DisplayPort, you can use a source device that has either a DisplayPort or a Thunderbolt port as long as you use a DisplayPort cable. However, later iMacs with a Thunderbolt port must be connected with a Thunderbolt source device using a Thunderbolt cable. "

Ya, I think I should have a hackintosh with worked thunderbolt to connect the iMac. Pretty bad acquirement, maybe I should get another job instead doing this LOL

From this article http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-your-imac-as-a-monitor-with-target-display-mode/ which said : " If you have an old iMac with a DisplayPort, you can use a source device that has either a DisplayPort or a Thunderbolt port as long as you use a DisplayPort cable. However, later iMacs with a Thunderbolt port must be connected with a Thunderbolt source device using a Thunderbolt cable. "

Ya, I think I should have a hackintosh with worked thunderbolt to connect the iMac. Pretty bad acquirement, maybe I should get another job instead doing this LOL
Remaining question for the community: Does the thunderbolt port of the two NUCs work on a hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back