Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Skylake NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why my NUC was rebooted everytime I ran Photoshop CC?
Does anyone know the clue?
Thanks a lot!

I have an intel desktop board NUC6i5SYB with Bios version SYSKLi35.86A.0042.2016.0409.1246
I set the bios settings like described in the guide. I can reach clover installer. Select the installer. Then the Apple logo lights up for 1-3 sec and the nuc reboots.
I use clover 3270
An idea?
I can't for reason unknown use boot flags.

T

I think this is a common bug in intel driver. No matter the id you choose, it will go to black screen after sleep or turn display off. My walkaround is that click the power button to put nuc to sleep, one second after you click power button, move the mouse or keyborad to wake up the nuc, the display will back to normal.

Thanks, napoleonn! I'll try that this evening. That's a great workaround!

I have an intel desktop board NUC6i5SYB with Bios version SYSKLi35.86A.0042.2016.0409.1246
I set the bios settings like described in the guide. I can reach clover installer. Select the installer. Then the Apple logo lights up for 1-3 sec and the nuc reboots.
I use clover 3270
An idea?
I can't for reason unknown use boot flags.
I tried some other approaches like different USB ports - different version of El Capitan and even Yosemite. With Yosemite the pc doesn't restart but still no installation progress. May it be because I have an SYB?

Fixed!!

Just needed to put the NVMeGeneric.kext into EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 and EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 folders. 10.10 probably not needed but didn't hurt.

You have provided a great resource here, can't thank you enough.

A few suggestions for the procedure on the first post would help:

1) Maybe a statement that boot from M.2 NVMe can be done. (Lots of stuff on the web saying not possible)

2) Add a note to Prepare Bootable USB Install Drive section that says to add NVMeGeneric.kext to USB EFI partition EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 and to the postinstall folder.

3) Add instructions to the Post-Installation Configuration section for changing config.plist manually if using over 16GB and to copy NVMeGeneric.kext from postinstall folder to NUC EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11. (and 10.10??)

Hopefully this will help people in the future! Good luck and thanks!

Thanks shangattack3000 this really helped me out yesterday.
ammulder it would be helpful to update this great guide with optional steps to copy NVMe files (for those that need it). Remember most of us reading it are noobs at this.

Dual Boot problems
Sorry I'm a noob at this so might be stupid questions.

I have the Samsung SM951-NVMe so followed shangattack3000 info to fix it. As far as I understand it finds the Win volumes so NVMe should be working.

I'm confused at this step:
2. You should see a Clover menu. Select Boot Mac OS X from YourDriveName.
When booting from the USB. I only see 3 NTFS drives, External (USB) and Recovery in Clover.
Does step 2 mean I should use External to boot Mac? And when gets to Setup installation of OSX I should use the menu to access Terminal for the rest of the steps?

Since that's the only way to do if for me I did it that way (copied CLOVERX64.efi to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi).
When booting without USB I get Clover with 2 NTFS volumes and Recovery.

diskutil list
disk0s1 EFI 207 MB
disk0s2 MS Reserved 16.8 MB
disk0s3 MS Basic data 150 GB
disk0s4 Apple_Boot recovery 650 MB
disk0s5 Apple_HFS 104 GB

What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Hi
I still have no luck! Tried so many different thing but all of them with no success.
What I´ve done also is, I downgraded the BIOS to 0039.
I use Unibeast 6.2.0 with Clover 3423 and it gives me this:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800e31caa6): "zone_init:kmem_suballoc failed .....

Have checked and double checked and double double checked the bios settings. Tried so many things to solve the panic cpu 0 caller with different boot flags etc. but nothing.
Anyone a clue what may help?

UPDATE:
Ok .... Ok .... My fault. In all those things I tried I also tried to put the MemoryStick on Top and not Bottom .... now, that it is button again ... it works. Surprsie Surprise. But it may be, that it also works because of the downgraded BIOS.
Hope all goes well from here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back