Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Skylake NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks a lot, it works as you instructed!

Do you mean that Clover Configurator only allows 8 GB max? I just put 16384 in each field in the file and it correctly shows 32 GB total.

For the display problem, you may need to put the HDMI patch in the KextsToPatch section. I've tried both a 1080p HDMI display and a 4K HDMI display successfully.

Hi - I'm a complete novice to Mackintosh. I've followed these instructions and the Sebinouse patches on an i5 Skylake NUC and get stuck with the HDMI switching off, so assume I have the HDMI patch problem. However, I don't understand the instructions in the link;
Can someone provide an idiots guide to adding a KextsToPatch please? Is this something I do in Clover configurator?

I will update this comment as I go... Problems I ran into with the guide.

"Set the Size and Frequency for each of the two memory entries [...]" - Clover only allows for 8GB max per slot. I've got 16GB per slot.

HDMI video: Doesn't work. Booting from Unibeast, the Apple logo comes up, the progress bar starts progressing... it gets about 20% of the way in and then the display shuts off. I went away for an hour to see if something else might be loading in the background that would bring it back. No such luck.

Hi. I've run into the same problem with the HDMI display during the progress bar. I'm a real novice, so can you explain how you fixed this please? Real basic terms please!! Chris

El Capitan on the Skylake NUC (6i3SYK, 6i3SYH, 6i5SYK, 6i5SYH)

I have successfully installed El Capitan on the NUC 6i5SYH. I found the El Capitan installer file was corrupted which kept me frustrated for a while, but once I figured that out it went really smoothly.

Last edited by a moderator:
El Capitan on the Skylake NUC (6i3SYK, 6i3SYH, 6i5SYK, 6i5SYH)

Hi. day two post install. Have found Adobe Photoshop crashes the NUC on launch. Anyone else had this problem?
Also, I can't see AirDrop. is that working for anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
On a skull canyon I installed 10.11.5 using unibeast and multibeast only. In multibeast I added UEFI boot mode, ethernet (intelMausiEthernet) and system definition iMac 17,1. Overall it works great, but audio doesn't work. Also at boot time there is a 50% chance where it gives me the prohibitory symbol, but I don't mind it too much since I don't reboot often. Does anyone know how to get the audio working ?

On a skull canyon I installed 10.11.5 using unibeast and multibeast only. In multibeast I added UEFI boot mode, ethernet (intelMausiEthernet) and system definition iMac 17,1. Overall it works great, but audio doesn't work. Also at boot time there is a 50% chance where it gives me the prohibitory symbol, but I don't mind it too much since I don't reboot often. Does anyone know how to get the audio working ?

WIP guide here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...g-clover-uefi-nuc6i5syk-nuc6i7kyk-etc.194177/

Read through to find out current audio experiments...

My NUC is working great except for the random audio problems which I usually solve by putting the computer to sleep for 10 seconds then back on again.

Also, preview doesn't work at all. Anyone know how to keep it from crashing?

This guide was quite useful to me, thanks!

My external hard drive was causing the computer to periodically wake from sleep, but I found this only occurs when connected to the yellow (high power) usb port.

One issue for me is I cannot seem to get 4K@60hz via the displayport. I only can get 30Hz. Is there any trick to getting the full 60?

I am using an "active" converter from displayport to HDMI (Club 3D CAC-1070). My TV (Samsung UE55JU6450UXZG) user manual says it supports 3840 x 2160 @60hz on the HDMI input I am using.

I thought maybe it was simply a limitation of OS X, but t seems one user (quoted below) has achieved 60Hz.

Thanks for great posting!
I bought NUC6i5SYH and everything worked great.

One thing not worked is wake.

I have dell 4k monitor and connected using mini dp.
When I boot up, it works at 4k@60hz.

Then I click sleep it goes sleep, it wakes up while led stays blue.

When the power led turns orange which means S3 status turned on, system freezes.

I tried sleep/wake using hdmi 1.3 cable, the same thing happen.

Tried hdmi 1.4, monitor works at 4k@30Hz(it is the maximum rate for it) and sleep/wake works.

If anyone of you using DP and sleep/wake works then please reply me.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back