Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Skylake NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try the fix in problem 4/method 2. Worked for me.
Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Finally got my 2 displays working :)

Thank you so much!! It's working for me too (sort of) :) My NUC freezes in the clover menu with both monitors turned-on though. I have to turn miniDP one off and reboot. Is it because this time I installed OS X with just one monitor (HDMI one) turned on? I think my NUC wasn't freezing in the clover menu when I installed OS X with both monitors turned on. They went to sleep when login screen showed up. Should I install OS X with both displays turned on to avoid this?

Anyhow I have to turn miniDP display off every time before I boot to the OS X but when I turn it on later both displays are working. I have to turn miniDP display off even before I put my NUC to sleep (and turn it on after wake up). HDMI one stays black otherwise (it has signal though). Any ideas?

Last edited:
Thank you so much!! It's working for me too (sort of) :) My NUC freezes in the clover menu with both monitors turned-on though. I have to turn miniDP one off and reboot. Is it because this time I installed OS X with just one monitor (HDMI one) turned on? I think my NUC wasn't freezing in the clover menu when I installed OS X with both monitors turned on. They went to sleep when login screen showed up. Should I install OS X with both displays turned on to avoid this?

Anyhow I have to turn miniDP display off every time before I boot to the OS X but when I turn it on later both displays are working. I have to turn miniDP display off even before I put my NUC to sleep (and turn it on after wake up). HDMI one stays black otherwise (it has signal though). Any ideas?
You have to hutplug the second monitor after booting.

You have to hutplug the second monitor after booting.

Hot-plug is not necessary for me, but miniDP display has to be turned off during boot time.

However I have issue with putting my displays to sleep after some time (energy saver) because after they woke up whole NUC freezes. Note that I have to check "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off" because putting NUC to sleep isn't working with my dual monitor setup as well. Now I have to let displays as well turned on whole time :(

I updated to 10.11.5 and had to repeat steps mentioned in post #161. Before the update displays energy saver (not NUC's itself) was working

Are there some necessary steps after every update in general? Is energy saver working for you?

P.S: I figured out that before I want to put my NUC to sleep I have to simply turn miniDP display off (and turn it on after wake up). This is "manual" energy saving though.

Last edited:
NUC 6i5SYH
Thanks, no HD540 HDMI audio codec.
Verify BIOS/Devices/Onboard Devices/Onboard Devices Configuration/HDMI/DisplayPort Audio/Enabled.
If Enabled, try Disabled to see if codec is present.

Hi,

I installed OS X 10.11.5 on an NUC6i5 with the 44 BIOS and using an 4k Asus PB287Q via DisplayPort.

It is working great but I have one problem:
If I turn the display off and on again I get a black or no signal screen and it looks like the mac is freezing. The only choice I have then is to make a hard restart.
I tried already the method mentioned in #161 but it had no effect.

Last edited:
Hot-plug is not necessary for me, but miniDP display has to be turned off during boot time.

However I have issue with putting my displays to sleep after some time (energy saver) because after they woke up whole NUC freezes. Note that I have to check "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off" because putting NUC to sleep isn't working with my dual monitor setup as well. Now I have to let displays as well turned on whole time :(

I updated to 10.11.5 and had to repeat steps mentioned in post #161. Before the update displays energy saver (not NUC's itself) was working

Are there some necessary steps after every update in general? Is energy saver working for you?

P.S: I figured out that before I want to put my NUC to sleep I have to simply turn miniDP display off (and turn it on after wake up). This is "manual" energy saving though.
Since I fixed the dual-monitor setup, sleep also isn't working for me anymore.
I can put the NUC to sleep, but I'm unable to wake it. Only solution is hard reboot.
I haven't updated to 10.11.5 yet.
Someone any ideas to fix this?

Hey guys, trying this on my NUC6i5 but cannot get it to boot from the usb at all. I created the installer with no problems on my mac mini (el capitan), then on the NUC set the bios settings as per the instructions but for some reason when trying to boot from the usb I just get a blank screen. I currently have an OS installed on the NUC(ubuntu 15.10) which I figured the installer would just wipe out. Does the hard drive need to be empty in advance for this to work?

Hello,

Jumping back into this discussion, because it could be related to my issues.

As explained above (post #157), my current rig is :
- NUC6I3SYH, running El Capitan 10.11.5
- 2x8GB RAM DDR4 2133Mhz (HyperX)
- Crucial Mx200 500GB m.2 2280 SS SSD
- Samsung SSD 2.5" 850 Evo 1TB
- Intel Graphics HD 520
- Using Clover for booting

Previous 2 issues seem to be solved but here is my current one :
- the bottom line is that I want to attach an iMac screen as a display target
to the above NUC
- first, it seems very difficult to get the screen copy on my iMac,
because the CMD+F2 does not trigger it, although both machines are connected thru
the recommended miniDP cable
- by chance, I indeed got connected once, though I'm unable to guess why,
and unable to reproduce this. However, I was able to spot that
the iMac display was showing a lot of fast blinking small white dots
on the whole surface, and also flickering very often

- however, I checked back that with my other NUC D54250WYK,
running Mavericks, is displaying very easily and nicely on the iMac screen
in target mode as well, with NO flickering, and NO blinking dots.
The latter is running a Intel Graphics HD 5000, AFAIK.

So my question :
- Is the Intel HD 520 GPU able to drive the display target mode
which seems possible with the old HD 5000 GPU?
- Could this be due instead to a difference between the DisplayMode version
used by these 2 GPUs?
- Else, is the Graphics driver available in the Clover/El Capitan version I installed
not yet completed fitted to the HD 520 GPU in this particular target display mode?

What is your diagnostic, and what do you advise me to try
to solve the issue?

Thanks in advance, Regards, G.

I'ts me again :)
The only issue was, that i had to change the ig-platform-id to 0x19260002 and reboot... since then everything graphic related is working fine.

Did not work for me, after I changed to above ig-platform-id I lost graphics acceleration (very choppy transitions, About this Mac reports Iris Graphics 540 with 7mb).

In general, the Iris 540 seems to be often quite choppy on the Skylake i5 NUC e.g. Mission Control with multiple windows. Did not see that on the Broadwell NUC, and can`t really replicate the issue. Maybe it`s linked to the low power states?

EDIT: Stupid me, inserting the right number got me acceleration back again. However the issue with animations being sometimes choppy still persists.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back