Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Skylake NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very seriously considering building one of these NUC hackintoshes with this Skylake special because Newegg has a combo deal to make a $400 system: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2696633&comboType=2

At the moment I'm using a low-end 2014 Mac mini, and the 4GB RAM ceiling and generally slow experience are killing me. This would be my first build in more than five years, and I want to be a little cautious… I'd love to hear about Skylake NUC owner experiences, as reading this thread there seem to be some folks struggling to get video issues resolved.

If you own a NUC, I'd love to know:

- Were there any pain points in the install process that you wish someone had told you about before you built it?
- Are there any components which you couldn't get working?
- For those who have 4K displays, have you managed to get a scaled resolution like 3008x1692 or 2560x1440 working through the DisplayPort or HDMI?
- Would you recommend this as a first build?

Thanks in advance for your guidance and feedback.

Wow, that's a super price! But I'd spend the extra $17 to get a second matching RAM chip -- not only will it run better with 8 GB, it always goes better with two matched sticks of RAM.

With a 4K display you can get resolutions like 2560x1440 but only at "low-resolution" -- that is, not in Retina mode, only in straight 2560x1440 mode. I believe that's an issue with the video drivers, because I think the Broadwell NUC can do Retina modes over 1080p, but the Skylake NUC cannot. It may be that you could get it working by tweaking the video settings in BIOS, but it may just have to wait for future OS updates.

And there's a long list of components in the first post that don't work -- WiFi, SD card slot, IR, and NFC come to mind. Some people who are dual booting have gotten Bluetooth working, but others have reported that it drains the batteries of their Bluetooth devices.

After update to BIOS 0039, my 6i5SYH won't shut down. Just restarts when I select Shut Down in the Apple menu. Did I forget to change some settings in Clover? Anybody else having this problem?

Running El Capitan.

There are various BIOS settings that make a difference. Often you need to disable Wake on LAN, and it's possible some of the settings like ASPM and wake for USB and whatever have an impact too. I think I'm using pretty close to what's shown in the screen shots in the first post for what it's worth (I updated them for 0039).

Hi This is a really great post.

I haven't completed the process yet.
Just for info it is indeed important to strictly check all the BIOS setting, until that (event though all the rest was done strictly according to the post I got a "no continue " sign after having select OXS Install in Clover.

Now I am running into an issue :
- The Machine starts,
- Clover launches,
- once the OSX install process starts, I then select the language, then I start the Disk Utility, I find that I don't have any disk (appart from the USB 32 GB Corsair Stick from which I am doing the installation).

I have checked everything meaning :
- The BIOS settings have been thoroughly checked (with all your snapshots),
- Machine is the same as in your tuto except for the M.2 drive(the rest is the same, processor 6i5SYK, same amount of memory 32GB)
- My M.2 drive is a Samsung SSD 950 PRO M.2 PCIE 512 GB

I see the SSD disk in the BIOS but not in the OSX Disk Utility.

Any clues.

Cheers

You need to install the NVME driver. You can find the donwload link in the first post. I'm using the same SSD and everything is running fine using this driver.

There are various BIOS settings that make a difference. Often you need to disable Wake on LAN, and it's possible some of the settings like ASPM and wake for USB and whatever have an impact too. I think I'm using pretty close to what's shown in the screen shots in the first post for what it's worth (I updated them for 0039).

Absolutely correct. I had the same issue about the shutdown /reboot even with previous Bios release. I've compared once again the screenshot provided by Ammulder with my configuration and I've found a couple of setting that were different. Now everyhting really works fine. Thank you Ammulder!

That did it my friend.

As the guide at the top of this post says, in BIOS 0039 under "Power / Secondary Power Settings" I set "Wake on LAN from S4/S5" to STAY OFF. Works great now.

Also for any of you boot up speed freaks out there like me, under "Boot / Boot Configuration / UEFI Boot" selecting "Fast Boot" skips the "Intel NUC" startup screen and goes right to Apple logo startup screen(In Clover I have boot up there set to 0 to skip the Clover startup screen). This thing boots in about 25 seconds now :) But if I need to access BIOS, I wait a few seconds after boot up and start pressing F2 like crazy until the BIOS screen appears.

Hi

I've managed to go quite far in the installation process.

In steps 9 to 13 I added extra partitions for later adding Linux and maybe W10.

I got all the way to step 16 of the [Post-Installation Configuration].
For the memory configuration I struggled a bit I ended up putting :
slot 0 8192 MB 2133 Mhz
slot 2 8192 MB 2133 Mhz
slot count 4

I skipped step 17 (don't care about iMessage)

So I did step 19, ejected and removed the USB Install Drive, restarted the machine (I did a reboot from OSX, maybe I should have hard rebooted it.

I landed on the clover menu, it took of on the OSX launch after 2 seconds with the Apple logo, after about 50% of progress on the progress bar the Apple Logo changed to a No Parking sign with no progress bar and the system is blocked.

I tried re-installing from the USB Install key (but without erasing the SSD) but I get the same punishment.

I wil try re-installing from the USB Install key (this time erasing the SSD).

I do believe that it is with configuration of the Memory that things went astray (I have 2 x 16 GB but the menu in clover configurator doesn't propose beyond 8 GB)

Any help is warmly welcome.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back