Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Skylake NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows dual boot: Would there be any advantage to install Windows on the 2nd drive slot (M.2) vs same drive as OSX is installed? I'm up for trying it on this SYH, but I would like to know beforehand.

The general advice is that it's easier to install on separate drives -- just disconnect each one while the other is installing and applying initial OS updates, and make sure to install Windows in UEFI mode if OS X is installed in UEFI mode.

That said, I have only done the single-drive install myself.

HI,

I have a really weird problem that i cannot know why it is happening.

The guid is working fine for me until I get to Selecting the proper drive to install the OSX on. It only shows the Installer USB Thumb and nothing else at all although I have 260 GB M.2 Samsung and 500 GB toshiba 2.5 internal drive into the NUC6I3SYH.

the solution to continue the installation was to plug in an external drive and to install the OS X on. it appeared at once as i plugged it into the NUC. why do the internals do not appear at all?

Then I installed the OSX on the external drive and it works fine.

it works fine but of course i need to install on the M.2 or the internal Drive.

can you help me with this.

by the way I did not provide the NVMe for OSX while configuring the Installer because i think my M.2 is not a NVMe. is it?

The Samsung drive should have said whether it was NVMe or not. They have at least 2 NVMe models and at least 2 non-NVMe models in the m.2 form factor, so you haven't given us enough information to say.

However, I believe the m.2 slot may be inactive by default in the 33 bios, so make sure to enable that.

Not sure why the 2.5" drive wouldn't show, but I'd double-check all BIOS settings to be sure.

Thank you for the excellent guide. I would not have
been to get El Capitan working on my NUC 6I3SYH.
However I decided to upgrade my BIOS to the latest
version and could not boot windows nor OSX afterwards.
I noticed that my m.2 ssd was no longer showing up
and found that INTEL have decided that m.2 now needs
to be enabled in the BIOS config.
Enabling it allowed me to boot into Windows again,
however trying to boot OSX, I noticed all the clover boot
options have gone.?

Any ideas how I can easily restore these settings ?

Once again, many thanks for your excellent work.:thumbup:

Maybe make sure UEFI boot is enabled in BIOS, and use your BIOS hotkey to select a boot device and pick UEFI:YourSSD?

Request: All of you please let me know whether anyone has the NUC working with OS X with BIOS 33, just to be sure. Thanks!

HI,

I have a really weird problem that i cannot know why it is happening.

The guid is working fine for me until I get to Selecting the proper drive to install the OSX on. It only shows the Installer USB Thumb and nothing else at all although I have 260 GB M.2 Samsung and 500 GB toshiba 2.5 internal drive into the NUC6I3SYH.

the solution to continue the installation was to plug in an external drive and to install the OS X on. it appeared at once as i plugged it into the NUC. why do the internals do not appear at all?

Then I installed the OSX on the external drive and it works fine.

it works fine but of course i need to install on the M.2 or the internal Drive.

can you help me with this.

by the way I did not provide the NVMe for OSX while configuring the Installer because i think my M.2 is not a NVMe. is it?

Regarding the Samsung M.2 drive it is necessary to know which model you are referring to. I had a similar situation with the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 that was not detected in the OSX disk utility while I could use it in windows 10 setup.
I was able to solve the problem easily by using the NVME driver as indicated in the first page of this guide. In this way I was able to install OSX into the M.2 Samsung SSD and everything is working properly.

Request: All of you please let me know whether anyone has the NUC working with OS X with BIOS 33, just to be sure. Thanks!
Working for me since day 1.

But I have another problem.
I installed Chrome on Mac OS, but if I try to add the 1password extension (https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions) the whole Mac OS X logs out. I don't know why. Safari is working fine. It could be possible, due to the true crypt container for one user. Could someone else verify this bug?

If you run Console.app and look on the left under System Diagnostic Reports do you see any WindowServer crash reports? Or any others from about the right time as the auto-logout?

No problems running OSX with BIOS 33 other than the issues everyone has with graphics.

Hello guys!
I see that one of the Intel Skylake NUC has an Iris 540 as integrated gpu.
I have the same card on my Dell XPS 9350, and I'm trying to get graphics acceleration.
How did you patch DSDT/SSDT in order to achieve that?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back