Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Skylake NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1440p DP/HDMI monitor, from your guide I understand it should run through miniDP only at 1080p? Also turning off the graphics accelleration you lose e.g. what?

Not necessarily. On my 4K display it would run at 3840x2160 or 1920x1080 retina (still 3840x2160 actual). It would not run at e.g. 2560x1440 retina, which renders offscreen at 5120x2880 and then displays at 3840x2160. So it was happy to operate the display at full resolution, but was not willing to use an extra-large offscreen buffer. The Broadwell NUCs, for instance, will do that if you get the BIOS settings right.

Bottom line, I would expect your monitor to work.

As for turning off graphics acceleration, that may cause it to not operate your monitor at full screen (such as 4:3 with black sidebars on a 16:9 screen). It makes any animations (such as login or bringing up Launchpad) very jerky. You occasionally get a sort of "interlaced" effect when it's trying to do some effect on the whole screen.

HDMI video: Doesn't work. Booting from Unibeast, the Apple logo comes up, the progress bar starts progressing... it gets about 20% of the way in and then the display shuts off. I went away for an hour to see if something else might be loading in the background that would bring it back. No such luck.

unfortunately i am getting the same problem of the HDMI video , after the apple Logo appears for the first time, it dispeapers again in about 20 seconds. i also tried to put the code of the HDMI into the KextsTopatch and also did not work. is there anything to do more?

maybe you can write a guid for inserting the code into the kextsTopatch array.

thanks in Advance:)

I have the exact same problem with my skylake i5 NUC. I have inserted the hdmi patch you've linked, but the screen gets still blank after 1/3 of the progress bar.

I've 3 things different than in your guide:

1. I've only 8 Gigs of ram in Slot 0, could it be possible that the screen is black due to a misconfiguerd Ram Entry with clover config editor? I wasn't sure how much slots (1,2 or 4) and which Chanel (single, dual or leave it blank) I have to choose. But this couldn't lead to a black screen, could it?
2. I have a SATA Samsung 850 pro instead of a m.2
3. I've used 10.11.3 to build the stick (you used an older version and upgpgraded afterwards)

I've tried to use -v and -v -x and to set "inject Intel graphics" to disable and to set the kextstopatch which you've linked but all with the same result, a blank screen after approximately 1/3 of the progress bar.
Could you help me? I even could record the whole process and upload it to YouTube if you could help us. I sold my old Mac mini and bought this nuc to replace it, I really want to get this working! Can you help us?

I've only tried with two identical RAM chips. On the Broadwell models, if you only had one chip it was important which slot it went in, so if you don't have two RAM chips then try your one chip in both slots.

I don't think that the drive type or install version should make a difference, but I can try a clean install of 10.11.3 later just to be sure.

I've only tried with two identical RAM chips. On the Broadwell models, if you only had one chip it was important which slot it went in, so if you don't have two RAM chips then try your one chip in both slots.

I don't think that the drive type or install version should make a difference, but I can try a clean install of 10.11.3 later just to be sure.

Thank you for your fast answer!

Ive updated the NUC Bios now to 0033, still the same error.

Ive tested it now with the ram in Slot 1 (the higher Slot) and the Progress bar didnt even appear, it restarts shortly after the apple logo is shown, so yes, it is still important to put the ram into Slot 0, but it didnt help with the black Screen.

Ive tested my Display port to HDMI Adapter as well, still the same error.

Ive waited 6 hours at the black screen, nothing happens.

It would be great if you could test 2 Scenarios!

1.) Update the Bios to the latest 0033 and use 10.10.3 to create the USB Install Stick -> Do you get to the OS X Installer Dialog Screen after the Clover Bootloader Screen?
2.) Put only one DDR4 Memory Stick inside Slot0 and leave Slot1 blank -> Do you still get to the OS X Installer Dialog Screen after the Clover Bootloader Screen?

With that steps we could pinpoint the problem.

Ive taken the time to record the whole procedure, until the error.

Please, could you take a look? Do I have error in there?
I really want to get it working and would try anything you say.

Download&Bios settings - NUC6i5SYH Hackintosh
[video=youtube;ut4yJLRSqpY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut4yJLRSqpY[/video]

Create Installer & Configuration & Error - NUC6i5SYH Hackintosh
[video=youtube;_8Z1tifOdSM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Z1tifOdSM[/video]
(Should be online in 5 Minutes)

...It would be great if you could test 2 Scenarios!

1.) Update the Bios to the latest 0033 and use 10.10.3 to create the USB Install Stick -> Do you get to the OS X Installer Dialog Screen after the Clover Bootloader Screen?
2.) Put only one DDR4 Memory Stick inside Slot0 and leave Slot1 blank -> Do you still get to the OS X Installer Dialog Screen after the Clover Bootloader Screen?

With that steps we could pinpoint the problem.
That would be an awesome help as well!

In the mean time, anyone with the problem can try the updated config.plist in the first post. You'll have to re-apply any customizations such as your serial number/MLB, but hopefully it will avoid the video problem.

In the mean time, anyone with the problem can try the updated config.plist in the first post. You'll have to re-apply any customizations such as your serial number/MLB, but hopefully it will avoid the video problem.

Yeah! Its working now, the Setup Screen is popping up!
I will update this post after a successfull Installation.

Everything is working like a charm! Wow! Thank you so much!
Except one thing... Point 15: you say the front headphone jack should be working, but it is grayed out. I have no sound. Should I install the ALC Kexts via Multibeast again?

And should I enable the official Trim Support because of the build in SSD?
http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/29/use-trimforce-trim-ssd-mac-os-x/

Everything is working like a charm! Wow! Thank you so much!
Except one thing... Point 15: you say the front headphone jack should be working, but it is grayed out. I have no sound. Should I install the ALC Kexts via Multibeast again?

Greyed out where?

When you install the ALC283 driver with MultiBeast it should do a few things:
  • Add some patches to the KextsToPatch array in config.plist
  • Set Devices / Audio / Inject in config.plist
  • Write a realtek kext to /Library/Extensions/
  • Write some files into /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext such that its signature is no longer valid

It will only work if you start with a config.plist that HAS a KextsToPatch array and maybe Devices / Audio section, and it will only work if SIP is disabled, and it requires the HDAS to HDEF DSDT patch. The config.plist in the first post should be OK with all this, but depending on the changes you've made it might no longer work correctly.

In any case, you can try to confirm that all of the above happened as expected, and/or you can rerun MultiBeast and select only Drivers / Audio / ALC 283 and then Build / Install and then reboot and take another look.

And should I enable the official Trim Support because of the build in SSD?
http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/29/use-trimforce-trim-ssd-mac-os-x/

I imagine so, though I don't know that much about particular models of SSD that may or may not have been tested with trimforce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back