CPU
i7 8086K
Graphics
VEGA64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Thanks a lot for this! Can I ask a question that if the thunderbolt works well? My current office iMac is extremely slow, 5400 hd, 1.6ghz cpu with a no working thunderbolt interface.... And the most ridiculous thing is, my boss doesn't allow me to use my MBPR, he said he doesn't like people bring their computers to the office.... I'd like to use a tiny hackintosh and hide it somewhere so it would not be found, use thunderbolt to connect to the iMac and pretending that I'm using the iMac, is it possible to use this nuc to implement my plan? The reason that I'm not going to using my MBPR is because the fan's sound is pretty loud, and my office is kind of quiet.... Thanks a lot in advance!

Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD3H | NUC NUC6i5SYK
CPU
i7-4770K | i5-6260U
Graphics
HD4600 | HD 540
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac
Thanks a lot for this! Can I ask a question that if the thunderbolt works well? My current office iMac is extremely slow, 5400 hd, 1.6ghz cpu with a no working thunderbolt interface.... And the most ridiculous thing is, my boss doesn't allow me to use my MBPR, he said he doesn't like people bring their computers to the office.... I'd like to use a tiny hackintosh and hide it somewhere so it would not be found, use thunderbolt to connect to the iMac and pretending that I'm using the iMac, is it possible to use this nuc to implement my plan? The reason that I'm not going to using my MBPR is because the fan's sound is pretty loud, and my office is kind of quiet.... Thanks a lot in advance!
Hi cyl19910101,

I think this depends a lot what you mean with "connect to the iMac". Normal NUCs only have a mini displayport, which is not equal to a thunderbolt interface. You can use the mini displayport to connect to whatever monitor and perhaps also to your iMac (depends on the version; see Apple support pages) to use it as a monitor. If that is what you want, then a normal NUC should be ok. If you need real thunderbolt, then you have to pick one of the following two:
DC3217BY
NUC6i7KYK

Afaik both should have thunderbolt. Not sure though, whether it works on hackintosh.

Motherboard
Asus M10H
CPU
i7 8086K
Graphics
VEGA64
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Hi cyl19910101,

I think this depends a lot what you mean with "connect to the iMac". Normal NUCs only have a mini displayport, which is not equal to a thunderbolt interface. You can use the mini displayport to connect to whatever monitor and perhaps also to your iMac (depends on the version; see Apple support pages) to use it as a monitor. If that is what you want, then a normal NUC should be ok. If you need real thunderbolt, then you have to pick one of the following two:
DC3217BY
NUC6i7KYK

Afaik both should have thunderbolt. Not sure though, whether it works on hackintosh.
Thank you very much about the information! When I said 'connect to the iMac' I mean use a thunderbolt cable to connect the hackintosh and the iMac, use iMac as a monitor, I've tried to use macbook output to iMac in this way, it works. However, when I tried to use DP 2 miniDP cable to connect my hackintosh and iMac, it doesn't work. And according to Apple's post https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204592, I'm not sure if iMac that have thunderbolt interface (Mid 2012-Mid 2014) can only be connected with thunderbolt, so I asked this question, tried to figure out if the thunderbolt interface in the hackintosh will work.

Motherboard
Asus M10H
CPU
i7 8086K
Graphics
VEGA64
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Hi cyl19910101,

DC3217BY
NUC6i7KYK

From this article http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-your-imac-as-a-monitor-with-target-display-mode/ which said : " If you have an old iMac with a DisplayPort, you can use a source device that has either a DisplayPort or a Thunderbolt port as long as you use a DisplayPort cable. However, later iMacs with a Thunderbolt port must be connected with a Thunderbolt source device using a Thunderbolt cable. "

Ya, I think I should have a hackintosh with worked thunderbolt to connect the iMac. Pretty bad acquirement, maybe I should get another job instead doing this LOL

Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD3H | NUC NUC6i5SYK
CPU
i7-4770K | i5-6260U
Graphics
HD4600 | HD 540
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac
From this article http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-your-imac-as-a-monitor-with-target-display-mode/ which said : " If you have an old iMac with a DisplayPort, you can use a source device that has either a DisplayPort or a Thunderbolt port as long as you use a DisplayPort cable. However, later iMacs with a Thunderbolt port must be connected with a Thunderbolt source device using a Thunderbolt cable. "

Ya, I think I should have a hackintosh with worked thunderbolt to connect the iMac. Pretty bad acquirement, maybe I should get another job instead doing this LOL
Remaining question for the community: Does the thunderbolt port of the two NUCs work on a hackintosh?

@RehabMan why should we use your installation guide instead of this one @ammulder ?
What benefits does it have that this one doesnt have?

I want to install the latest macos sierra (On my Nuc6i5syh) and have to choose now between your guide (which seems to be more complex than this guide here) and this guide from ammulder.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
@RehabMan why should we use your installation guide instead of this one @ammulder ?
What benefits does it have that this one doesnt have?

I want to install the latest macos sierra (On my Nuc6i5syh) and have to choose now between your guide (which seems to be more complex than this guide here) and this guide from ammulder.
You could try both and see which one you like better. Your choice.

Although it may seem more complicated, it is actually a bit easier/quicker to accomplish...

Last time I checked, my guides does a few more things than does the other...

Intel NUC 6i5syk here.

@RehabMan I'm using your guide for my Nuc with El Capitan and I appreciate how it works.

BTW - I don't know if anyone is experiencing problems with the "Preview" app. It gets stuck at startup, without opening a file or without opening even the app menu!
I've tried this help from Apple:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4560494?start=0&tstart=0

after that ... some pdf files can be opened, but in 95% of cases... Preview still hangs.

I don't know if it helps, but by running spindump I get the following from the Preview process:
Code:
                *1001  IGAccelVideoContext::getTargetAndMethodForIndex(IOService**, unsigned int) + 80 (AppleIntelSKLGraphics + 450890) [0xffffff7f81fa914a]
                   *1001  IntelAccelerator::waitForDRMSessionRestore() + 21 (AppleIntelSKLGraphics + 178645) [0xffffff7f81f669d5]
                     *1001  delay_for_interval + 107 (kernel + 880731) [0xffffff80002d705b]
                       *1001  thread_block_reason + 175 (kernel + 986671) [0xffffff80002f0e2f]
                         *1001  ??? (kernel + 1000220) [0xffffff80002f431c]
                           *1001  machine_switch_context + 316 (kernel + 1875900) [0xffffff80003c9fbc] (suspended)

Binary Images:
*0xffffff7f81f3b000 - 0xffffff7f81fd3fff  com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSKLGraphics 10.14.73 (10.1.4) <6925A1F6-0381-30C9-9AC8-B0197206D546>  /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelSKLGraphics.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelSKLGraphics
*0xffffff8000200000 - 0xffffff80009fffff  kernel (3248.60.11)                                      <E349749B-3303-3DDF-959C-B5885A0E1F6E>  /System/Library/Kernels/kernel
Looks like that AppleIntel driver has some problem!

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks.