Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean when I open clover configurator, it looks like that:
View attachment 212372

But when I'm rebooting, I see that both EDID and Intel video are enabled (I've turned it off, and after that have made a screenshot, sorry).
View attachment 212373
During that, there are nothing found by "EDID" search at config.plist.

So I turn both checkboxes on at clover configurator,
View attachment 212374
and after that I can find InjectEDID key at config.plist,
View attachment 212376
and switch it to "false".
View attachment 212377
After that everything works good for me, and I can use Sierra with clover 3763 on my NUC.
Thanks for your help.

The default for InjectEDID has been changed in Clover to true (it is probably a mistake).
So now what Clover Configurator is doing is buggy (it is removing it when set to false).

I don't recommend Clover Configurator as it has a habit of changing settings like that... (poor design).

Agree with you, but in case someone will face the same issue (bootloop after clover update before installing Sierra), here's almost a step-by-step guide :)

Agree with you, but in case someone will face the same issue (bootloop after clover update before installing Sierra), here's almost a step-by-step guide :)

It is best to edit config.plist with a plist editor such as Xcode or PlistEdit Pro.

How i update my hackintosh NUC5i5ryh:
I made a bootable usb with unibeast 7.
Then boot from usb and install it on my drive.
When the update finished, i installed clover 3763 (i chose OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi instead of OsxAptioFixDrv2-64.efi). By the way, does anyone the difference between them and why we choose the first?
Then i placed AppleIntelE1000e.kext and FakeSMC.kext on desktop and i installed them with kext wizard. I do not know if it was necessary (I am new to hackintosh), was it?
At last, i changed InjectEDID to false in config.plist
Everything works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ihave a nice little dual drive set up el capitan and win10 on a NUC5i5 RYH. is there a guide to safely upgrade to Sierra?
thank you

config.plist/Graphics/InjectEDID=false.

It is a dumb change made in Clover.

do you think it is safer not to update to the latest Clover before upgrading to Sierra?

I'm thinking of upgrading to MacOs Sierra also.

do you think it is safer not to update to the latest Clover before upgrading to Sierra?

I'm thinking of upgrading to MacOs Sierra also.

It depends on how old your Clover is.

Note: The InjectEDID bug is already fixed.

I'm just about to pull the trigger and get my "kit" for this project, but I was wondering... would I be able to follow this guide to a "T", except install Sierra instead of El Capitan?

EDIT: I decided to try it and it worked BEAUTIFULLY! macOS Sierra SINGS on this NUC. I can't wait to fully deploy it as my HTPC replacement!

Last edited:
El Capitan on the Broadwell NUC 5i3, 5i5, or 5i7

Appendix B: Windows 10 Dual Boot (same drive)
If you'd like to install Windows 10 in a dual boot configuration on the same drive as El Capitan, follow these additional steps. There are many ways to do the installation, this is just one that is known to work.

Requirements
  • Your El Capitan install USB drive (if you wipe this out to use for Windows, you will have to recreate it later)
  • A USB drive to use for the Windows installer
  • A Windows 10 ISO
  • An existing Windows computer to prepare the ISO
    • If you don't have a Windows computer, skip the next section and see n3oNLit3's instructions in this post to prepare a bootable USB Windows installer

Prepare Windows 10 USB on a Windows computer
  1. Download the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool
  2. Insert your USB stick or drive
  3. Run the tool
  4. Select your Windows 10 ISO
  5. Select the USB install type
  6. Select your USB drive
  7. Wait for it to finish and move the USB drive to the NUC

Install Windows 10
Start from the working El Capitan install above, and:
  1. Open Disk Utility
  2. Select your El Capitan drive (not the partition underneath it)
  3. Select Partition
  4. Hit the + to add a new partition for Windows, and drag the pie chart slider until the two partitions are sized appropriately
  5. Leave the format of the new partition as OS X Extended (Journaled).
  6. Hit Apply
  7. With the Windows USB drive attached, restart the NUC
  8. If the BIOS is not set to boot USB devices first, hit F10 and select the USB drive
  9. Install Windows. When you get to the pick a disk partition screen, select the partition you created for Windows above (easiest to identify by size, usually). Delete the partition, then format it. When it prompts you that Windows may create extra partitions, that's OK. Then select the new big partition it created to install to.
  10. After the first reboot during the Windows install, if the NUC is still set to boot USB devices first, you will need to remove the USB drive. If you missed it and you're back at the "choose a language" installer screen, remove the USB and reboot to boot to the new install and continue the process.
  11. After the Windows install completes and leaves you at the desktop, go to Settings / Update & security / Windows Update and install all available updates. (You can skip this, but you'll probably have more work later if you do because the updates may break the boot loader.)

Fix Dual Booting

1. At this point, the NUC is booting only to Windows. Insert your El Capitan install USB drive and restart. Use F10 if needed to boot to the USB.
  2. You should see a Clover menu. Select Boot Mac OS X from YourDriveName.
  3. Once in OS X, mount your EFI partition. You may need to use diskutil list to identify the correct partition, but the typical command is:
    Code:
    mkdir /Volumes/EFI && sudo mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
  4. Go to the EFI partition
  5. Go to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ and rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi
  6. Copy EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
  7. Eject the El Capitan install USB drive
  8. Reboot
  9. You should get a Clover menu, with the usual settings to boot to OS X and also new Windows options. To start Windows, select Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI.
  10. After future Windows updates, Windows may reset the EFI partition to boot only to Windows again. You'll need to repeat the steps in this section.
You should now be able to boot to both Windows and OS X!

I was able to install Sierra on this very hardware (as stated above in my edit) successfully (check out my thread on that) and I want to dual boot (for now) Windows 10 with Sierra. As we speak I have Boot Camp Assistant imaging a Windows 10 ISO to a 16 GB USB stick. Would that allow the NUC to boot to the Windows installer as if it was DD'd or if it was created with the DVD/USB tool on a PC running Windows? Also would BCA making a partition make this not work as well?

I was able to install Sierra on this very hardware (as stated above in my edit) successfully (check out my thread on that) and I want to dual boot (for now) Windows 10 with Sierra. As we speak I have Boot Camp Assistant imaging a Windows 10 ISO to a 16 GB USB stick. Would that allow the NUC to boot to the Windows installer as if it was DD'd or if it was created with the DVD/USB tool on a PC running Windows? Also would BCA making a partition make this not work as well?

Shiggitay, this is great, I would like to follow a guide for the same NUC on Sierra only. What did you do? Were you based upon this thread for El Capitan? What specific changes did you make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back