Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
solved, i have mounted EFI partition in windows (impossible to mount in osx safe mode) with diskpart util, deleted OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi and replaced with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi found in Capitan desktop support forum.
Now working perfect, thanks.

Note for those not dual-booting, you should be able to boot Unibeast USB -> OSX Installer, open Terminal, and use the console to do the same thing (mount the EFI partition and make this change).

A quick request for help on something that has been driving me crazy. I successfully installed El Capitan (11.3) a while back on my NUC 5i5, with windows 10 dual boot, and it works great. However, I cannot and have never been able to boot into my OSX install using the Unibeast USB -- booting from Unibeast USB and selecting boot the OSX install on my internal hard drive always fails.

Here are the verbose boot screenshots -- whenever I boot from the Unibeast USB and select to boot Mac OSX from the internal disk, it always fails with this prohibited symbol and 'root device' error (tried different USB sticks, ports, hubs, etc).

Thank you so much for any help in advance.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 119
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    937.2 KB · Views: 100
Here are the verbose boot screenshots -- whenever I boot from the Unibeast USB and select to boot Mac OSX from the internal disk, it always fails with this prohibited symbol and 'root device' error (tried different USB sticks, ports, hubs, etc).

Thank you so much for any help in advance.

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (omit 'themes' folder).

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (omit 'themes' folder).

Attached. Thank you!
(RE: cannot boot Mac OSX on Internal Drive using Unibeast USB)

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 97
Attached. Thank you!
(RE: cannot boot Mac OSX on Internal Drive using Unibeast USB)

Keep in mind if you installed FakeSMC to the HDD, that no kexts will be injected from Clover/kexts/10.11. That includes NVMeGeneric.kext which you probably need to mount your SSD.

You need to install NVMeGeneric.kext to your system volume, but furthermore, because it is not marked OSBundleRequired=Root, you have to patch it..

Assuming it is installed to /L/E:
Code:
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add :OSBundleRequired string" /Library/Extensions/NVMeGeneric.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :OSBundleRequired Root" /Library/Extensions/NVMeGeneric.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Without the patch, it doesn't load soon enough for OS X to mount root.

It could also be marked "Local-Root". Your choice.

Keep in mind if you installed FakeSMC to the HDD, that no kexts will be injected from Clover/kexts/10.11. That includes NVMeGeneric.kext which you probably need to mount your SSD.

You need to install NVMeGeneric.kext to your system volume, but furthermore, because it is not marked OSBundleRequired=Root, you have to patch it..

Assuming it is installed to /L/E:
Code:
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add :OSBundleRequired string" /Library/Extensions/NVMeGeneric.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :OSBundleRequired Root" /Library/Extensions/NVMeGeneric.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Without the patch, it doesn't load soon enough for OS X to mount root.

It could also be marked "Local-Root". Your choice.

Hi Rebabman -- thank you very much for your help. I think I'm starting to understand what's happening but could I ask for a little more clarification...

Just to make sure it wasn't lost in the thread: I -am- able to boot off of my NVMe internal drive when booting from Clover EFI internal drive > Mac OSX on internal drive. It's only when I try to boot from Clover Unibeast USB > Mac OSX internal drive that I get the prohibited sign and root device error.

So: When I was setting up the Unibeast USB, I followed ammulder's instructions to copy the NVMe driver kext to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 and EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 on the EFI partition of the USB drive (which allowed me to successfully see/install to my NVMe drive during installation). After installing OSX and ejecting the Unibeast USB, I did the post-install step of copying the NVMe driver kext to the EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 and EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 directories on the EFI partition of my internal drive. This was enough to allow me to boot to my NVMe drive Mac install from Clover EFI on the internal drive (even though there is not and has never been a copy of the NVMe driver in my Library/Extensions folder) -- just not from Clover USB > internal drive.

But: What you are saying is that due to the fact that I installed FakeSMC.kext as part of the post-install process on the internal drive, now the boot process ignores kexts in EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11? In that case, why will the OS boot from Clover on the internal drive, but not from Clover on the Unibeast USB? If SMC has to do with hardware monitoring, why does it affect the boot process? If I place another copy of the NVMe driver in /Library/Extensions and make the code changes specified, will it then use that driver for NVMe and thereby ignore the driver on the USB's EFI (and thus work?)?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm still a little confused. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 4.39.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 4.39.00 PM.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 128
But: What you are saying is that due to the fact that I installed FakeSMC.kext as part of the post-install process on the internal drive, now the boot process ignores kexts in EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11?

Correct. It is the behavior if config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts=Detect.

In that case, why will the OS boot from Clover on the internal drive, but not from Clover on the Unibeast USB?

Guessing that config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts on the USB is set true.

If SMC has to do with hardware monitoring, why does it affect the boot process?

See Clover documentation on SystemParameters/InjectKexts.

If I place another copy of the NVMe driver in /Library/Extensions and make the code changes specified, will it then use that driver for NVMe and thereby ignore the driver on the USB's EFI (and thus work?)?

Since you have FakeSMC.kext installed to the system volume, and likely config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts=Detect, the NVMeGeneric.kext and all other kexts on EFI/Clover/kexts are already ignored.

So... in that scenario, you need to install the kexts on the system volume and insure they load.

Last edited:
RehabMan, thank you so much for answering my questions -- this definitely cleared things up.

RehabMan: Are you experiencing graphics corruption when scrolling up and down in finder for example? I am running a skull canyon and the only two problems I have are graphics artifacts (flickering etc) and that booting into OSX is very unstable. There are times when it just fails, going from the apple logo to the ø logo. Sometimes it boots, sometimes it doesn't. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back