Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I am curious to know if anyone has managed to find a fix to the restart after shutdown issue for latest bios on a NUC5i3RYK.
I upgraded the bios from version 348 to 355, however it restarted after shutdown.
I checked that all the following were unchecked as suggested in an earlier post:
Wake on LAN from S4/S5
Wake System from S5
Wake on USB from S5
PCIe ASPM Support
Native ACPI OS PCIe Support

So I then re-flashed with older bios version in descending order, 354, 353, 352, 350, and all had the same restart issue. It appears only version 348 will not restart after shutdown on a NUC5i3RYK.

I used FixShutdown_0004 in config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Fixes in my guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...clover-uefi-nuc5i5mhye-nuc5i3myhe-etc.191011/

I'm struggling with this installation. After starting the initial boot the progress bar gets almost half way then crashes before returning to the Clover boot menu. I have attached an image of the screen when it attempts to boot from Clover. I have the most recent BIOS 0035 for the NUC5i5MYHE. I have a Samsung m.2 EVO 850 250 GB and two 8 GB memory sticks. I've tried with just one memory module and also with a conventional SATA SSD instead of the Samsung. In my BIOS, there is no IR, Bluetooth or WLAN to uncheck. Everything else is as in the photos described in the first post. I've done about 7 hackintoshes in the past but this one has me stumped.

Using 10.11.4 built with Unibeast 6.2.0.

Hardware seems OK because I can install Ubuntu 16.04 and everything works fine.

TIA.

panic.png

Last edited:
OK, an update. I was able to boot from the USB stick in Safe Mode and install El Cap. However, to boot to the internal drive also requires Safe Mode. And when I run MultiBeast it fails during the installation of the boot loader. Any ideas?

So, I plugged in my USB bluetooth module and the NUC booted right up from the SSD. I was then able to run MultiBeast and complete all the other steps. But I have to keep the bluetooth stick in during boot, otherwise it hangs with the kernel panic. Once booted, I can remove it. Strange...

Updated my i5 broadwell nuc today to 10.11.5 from App store without (apparent) issue.

Hi LewZealand,

could you share some details on your monitor, please? Running the same i7 Broadwell NUC with 10.11.4 and thinking about upgrading from my old 1080p Samsung to a 34" LG. Which model are you using? Any issues with it so far?

Hi emmetbrown, Sorry for the delay, I'm using the non-curved LG 34UM95 with the Broadwell NUC5I7RYH hooked up with an MD-MD cable. The full 3440x1440 resolution is available at the monitor's 60Hz default refresh rate. My NUC5I5RYH behaves the same. The monitor will to 3440x1440 at 50Hz through the HDMI connection but I find some scrolling not to be smooth at 50Hz. This is not a NUC thing as I also have a 2012 i7quad Mini hooked to the monitor's TBolt port which also only can push 3440x1440 at 50Hz and the scrolling is also not always smooth. I switch the NUC to 2650x1440 @60Hz for some games which cannot map the ~21:9 (really 43:18) properly and the display is pixel perfect, with the extra pixels on the sides going black.

I've had zero issues with it so far in terms of usage with the NUC however I have issues with the monitor itself. The biggest is the high black level and relatively high minimum brightness. If you intend to sit very close to it, I'd heavily recommend the curved monitor as there's just a hair of darkening at the edges thanks to the steep viewing angle if you sit close. Most of the time I never notice this. I'm no fan of curved TVs but for this single person use, the curved form factor should be better.

Other notes: I'm never even once wanted more space on my screen, it surpasses everything else in this. The only other consideration is 4K Retina. I bought my NUCs for the specific purpose of 4K 60Hz support which is not available from an inexpensive Apple desktop. However I don't want full res 40" 4K as that's just too big. Rather I'd probably want ~28" Retina 4K and after having used a Retina 5K iMac recently, I just don't know if I'd like the regular rez 34" ultrawide or the Retina 28" 4K on this NUC. We shall see...

I have the same issue but haven't spent the time to troubleshoot the permanent fix yet. One thing which helps without logging out or restarting is to switch the audio output to HDMI or another and then back. However, this doesn't work every time and in fact I've just switched to using the HDMI out all the time.

I'd like to clarify something here. I'm using "HDMI out" for audio through the MiniDisplayport output and reported it as "HDMI out" because this is how it's described by the OS. I assume if I hook up through the HDMI output, it will also describe it the same way (maybe as "HDMI out 2"). The sound output is fine through the monitor as the monitor is using it's built-in DAC since the NUC is just sending a digitally encoded sound signal. I've found the NUC's built-in analog audio out to be undependable enough that I don't even try using it anymore. However after reading the posts here, I should try some of the fixes as the front panel sound would be very convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back