Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another good way to solve the issue of not being able to boot after upgrading without having to create a Unibeast with after upgrading to .4 is:

1) Boot into the rescue image from Cloverleaf (should work find even after upgrade)
2) Open a terminal
3) Mount the EFI partition:
a) mkdir /Volumes/efi b) mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi
4) navigate to /Volumes/efi/CLOVER/
5) make a backup of our config.plist
a) cp config.plist config.plist.backup
6) edit config.plist to change CsrActiveConfig to 0x67
a) vi config.plist
If your not familiar with vi. "x" deletes a character "i" goes to insert mode - ESC takes you out of insert mode, ":wq" writes the files an quits
7) reboot - into normal partition and all is good!

THANK YOU!!!!

This worked great for me from Recover Mode. A few things different here:
The directory was /Volumes/efi/EFI/CLOVER/ (there's an extra /EFI/ subdirectory for some reason).
To edit, I used sed:
*) grep -n CsrActiveConfig config.plist
*) note the line number, in my case it was 254
*) tail +254 config.plist | head
*) You should see the offending "0x3" on the second line, so it's line 255 in the file
*) sed -i -e 255,255s/0x3/0x67/ config.plist
*) Repeat the 'tail' command above to verify the change.
*) cd /; umount /Volumes/efi; reboot

On reboot, the update install completed, and all is good. Thanks! This is the best solution, as it doesn't require any external tools.

Hi,

I installed the system, and it's working perfectly on i7 system latest bios (355 if not mistaken).
But i have a query regarding Video card, it says that chipset is unknown when i go to system properties.

Chipset Model: Intel Unknown
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x162b
Revision ID: 0x0009
Displays:

Is it ok? What is the reason it's showing this, since my graphics card works well, but maybe it can work better, cause there some slowness when playing CS:GO :D.
Thanks,

Great work and great guide. Thank you so much.:headbang:

I recently updated to 10.11.4 successfully with your instruction.

I also added a Samsung UN40JU7100 4K TV as a monitor to my NUC5i5 RYH/RYK (i5-5250U w/ HD6000). Using mini-DisplayPort to HDMI active adapter to the TV and successfully got 4K except:
1. Only 24 Hz available, the frequency is grayed out.
2. Under Display (About this Mac), it shows that I have a 120.5 inch (7680 x 4050) Samsung display

My NUC was configured as a Macbook Air early 2015. Should it support 60 Hz? Should I choose a different machine like iMac during post installation to enable the 60 Hz support?

Thanks in advance.

Fix Dual Booting

1. At this point, the NUC is booting only to Windows. Insert your El Capitan install USB drive and restart. Use F10 if needed to boot to the USB.
  2. You should see a Clover menu. Select Boot Mac OS X from YourDriveName.
  3. Once in OS X, mount your EFI partition. You may need to use diskutil list to identify the correct partition, but the typical command is:
    Code:
    mkdir /Volumes/EFI && sudo mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
  4. Go to the EFI partition
  5. Go to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ and rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi
  6. Copy EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
  7. Eject the El Capitan install USB drive
  8. Reboot
  9. You should get a Clover menu, with the usual settings to boot to OS X and also new Windows options. To start Windows, select Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI​.
  10. After future Windows updates, Windows may reset the EFI partition to boot only to Windows again. You'll need to repeat the steps in this section.
You should now be able to boot to both Windows and OS X!

Hello,

I installed Windows 10 and then followed these directions perfectly. When I restart the system it goes directly into OSx.

Please help.

Running 10.11.3

Thank you,

hello,

thank you for the installation guide.

anyway, anyone else here have problems with their audio quitting while logged in to your account in elcapitan 10.11.4?

I am able to watch youtube and other videos/music, but after sometime i'd hear a pop in the speakers and no more sound, i'd have to log out and back in to recover my sound. I'd also hear random pops while using the computer.

I'm using an intel nuc 5i5ryh, 16gb ram, 256 samsung ssd, 2 tb samsung sata drive.

thanks for any help.

Hello,

I installed Windows 10 and then followed these directions perfectly. When I restart the system it goes directly into OSx.

Please help.

Running 10.11.3

Thank you,

Nevermind... I forgot that I turned on Fast Boot a few weeks ago.

Thank you

Starting to wonder if I have this problem too. I have been noticing buffering problems when streaming video... which I thought was weird for a gigabit connection

Never mind. Operator error. I noticed that the active adaptor is restricted to 4k @30Hz. Make sure that you get the one that supports 4k @60 Hz. My bad.:oops:

I got through the guide perfectly however I can't get 1080p resolution with my HD5500 intel gfx card. What am I missing?

I got through the guide perfectly however I can't get 1080p resolution with my HD5500 intel gfx card. What am I missing?

Any help? I can only put it at max resolution of 1280x1024. My native samsung monitor is 1080p though. I am using a display port adapter to VGA converter currently. I don't think that has anything to do with it though(But will be picking up a mini HDMI adapter tomorrow). How can i tell that my graphics card is recognized and get 1080p output?

Thanks and great guide overall. Just this minor snag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back