Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you confirm whether you have OsxAptioFixDrv or OsxAptioFix2Drv in EFI/CLOVER/driver64UEFI/ on the EFI partition of your boot drive after this procedure? I'm wondering whether it was that change rather than the SIP change that made the difference.

I have OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi in EFI/CLOVER/driver64UEFI/. I did attempt use of OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi at some point in my debugging/thrashing w/o success.

I was in the same situation as you, I had to recreate a usb boot key using unibeast and a fresh download of the El Capitan installer from the app store. I also refreshed all the dependencies defined in this guide, so everything was newly downloaded. The USB key wiped clean (Disk Utility "Erase" from the key and not the existing partition on the key) and then prepped per this guide.

To boot the NUC, I inserted the USB key into the NUC then hit F10 at the fleeting BIOS prompt then selected the USB device to boot from. Then from clover on the USB device I selected a boot from the NUC hard drive. After that booting the NUC drive from the USB clover I mounted the NUC EFI volume and manually moved the existing /Volume/EFI/EFI directory aside then ran the post-install steps from this guide. As a last, additional, step I edited /Volume/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist and made the change to CsrAcriveConfig changing it from 0x3 to 0x67. The NUC was then able to boot from the NUC drive clover to my 10.11.4 install.

I followed these instructions to the letter, and I am back up and running on 10.11.4. Testtube, :clap:

Well, I get the same.

On 10.11.4 with OsxAptioFix2Drv, it occasionally boots to the prohibited sign, same as ever. If you don't mind Ctrl-Alt-Del when that happens, fine.

On 10.11.4 with OsxAptioFixDrv and CsrActiveConfig 0x3, the NUC doesn't boot (if you wait long enough, you still get a prohibited sign).

On 10.11.4 with OsxAptioFixDrv and CsrActiveConfig 0x67, it works fine.

So I guess the advice is, fire up Clover Configurator and on the RtVariables screen change CsrActiveConfig from 0x3 to 0x67 before updating to 10.11.4.

If it's too late and your NUC won't boot, you can boot to a vanilla UniBeast USB drive (10.11.4 is fine) using F10 to select UEFI:YourUSBDrive as the boot device, then select your regular OS X install from the Clover menu. This should get you in without graphics acceleration. But it's enough for you to run Clover Configurator and make the CsrActiveConfig change and save the file, and then you can reboot without the USB drive and you should be fine.

Thanks for the great thread, installed two weeks ago and now a painless update to 10.11.4

:thumbup:

Another good way to solve the issue of not being able to boot after upgrading without having to create a Unibeast with after upgrading to .4 is:

1) Boot into the rescue image from Cloverleaf (should work find even after upgrade)
2) Open a terminal
3) Mount the EFI partition:
a) mkdir /Volumes/efi b) mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi
4) navigate to /Volumes/efi/CLOVER/
5) make a backup of our config.plist
a) cp config.plist config.plist.backup
6) edit config.plist to change CsrActiveConfig to 0x67
a) vi config.plist
If your not familiar with vi. "x" deletes a character "i" goes to insert mode - ESC takes you out of insert mode, ":wq" writes the files an quits
7) reboot - into normal partition and all is good!

I didn't have problems updating my NUC5i7RYH to 10.11.4. I already had SIP disabled completely in clover (0x67 as CsrActiveConfig in config.plist) and OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI as always. OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi never allowed me to boot.

Well, I get the same.

On 10.11.4 with OsxAptioFix2Drv, it occasionally boots to the prohibited sign, same as ever. If you don't mind Ctrl-Alt-Del when that happens, fine.

On 10.11.4 with OsxAptioFixDrv and CsrActiveConfig 0x3, the NUC doesn't boot (if you wait long enough, you still get a prohibited sign).

On 10.11.4 with OsxAptioFixDrv and CsrActiveConfig 0x67, it works fine.

So I guess the advice is, fire up Clover Configurator and on the RtVariables screen change CsrActiveConfig from 0x3 to 0x67 before updating to 10.11.4.

If it's too late and your NUC won't boot, you can boot to a vanilla UniBeast USB drive (10.11.4 is fine) using F10 to select UEFI:YourUSBDrive as the boot device, then select your regular OS X install from the Clover menu. This should get you in without graphics acceleration. But it's enough for you to run Clover Configurator and make the CsrActiveConfig change and save the file, and then you can reboot without the USB drive and you should be fine.

Worked Perfectly!!!

Thank you

I doubt any of you use LAN as main internet connection, I do

All the above recommendations worked flawlessly, but for some reason, my already sluggish LAN connection, just became unusable.

Also, mini display works fine on a Dell Ultra 4K P2415Q monitor, but when connected via HDMI, everything flashes, this did not happen previous to the update.

Any thoughts? I'm on a NUC5i7RYH.

Hi all,

Just finished installing OSX on my NUC, followed the guide and it worked really well so very happy. Although I have just experienced my first hiccup on wake from sleep. The network was lost and I get self-assigned IP in Network Configuration. Any ideas I am using the Mausi Driver and just followed exsactly what the guide layed out, otherwise no other issues.

Use the AppleIntelE1000e driver instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back