Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never thought to check until you mentioned it, but now that I look in Network Utility I see that mine is also at 100Mpbs.

I'd try both the latest AppleIntelE1000e and the latest IntelMausiEthernet drivers from the Downloads/Kexts section (not at the same time) and see if one of them gives 1Gbps speed. I can't do it myself right this moment but I'll try later.

I did try all the different drivers and I'm still not able to get Gig speeds. any other ideas ?

Just an FYI for anyone who is attempting to dual boot according to the steps in the Appendix and gets this error when trying to select the partition to install windows on:
"windows 10 couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one"

It turns out that even if you the partition you are selecting is on the internal disk, if you have other external disks connected (USB hdds, SD card) the installer will still give you this message. I had to
1. disconnect all of my external disks
2. restart
3. delete the partition I had created for windows on the internal disk, along with the other little mini partitions the previous installer tried to create (the Win recovery partition, etc)

Then it worked.

Be careful you don't delete your Mac OSX partition or any other partitions you might need!
Happy hackintoshing.

hi, I have a hackintosh NUC5i3RYH 10.11.3 el capitan, everything runs perfectly, sometimes from chrome or firefox browser, I have a black page and nuc restarts, any of you have the same problem, thank you for the answers.

hi, I have a hackintosh NUC5i3RYH 10.11.3 el capitan, everything runs perfectly, sometimes from chrome or firefox browser, I have a black page and nuc restarts, any of you have the same problem, thank you for the answers.

If it only happens in the web browser, does it only happen on certain webpages? I'd be curious to know what's happening at the time and if you can narrow it down -- for example, is a plugin running like Flash or Silverlight (Netflix, Amazon video?) My other thought would be something with the built in GPU hardware acceleration in the browser(s). You can turn that off -- try that and see if it still happens:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/i...rdware-acceleration-in-google-chrome-3605455/

[Solved] Fixing Dual-Booting if you Can't Get back into OSX by booting clover from your Unibeast USB and selecting your internal Mac partition

I found a solution to an issue I was having and wanted to share it. I recently partition my working Hackintosh NUC Broadwell 5i5 internal drive to set up and install Win10 according to the Appendix for doing so in this guide.

Everything went okay (except, don't have any additional USB drives plugged in when you install Win10 -- see my post a few posts back in this thread), and the computer was booting Win10 by default as the Win10 installer plants itself as default boot in the EFI partition.

From here, the normal guide step is to use your Unibeast USB to boot clover, then boot your internal Mac OS, then fix the EFI partition from in Mac OS. This didn't work for me. I got the prohibited sign 'still waiting for root device' error, and a verbose boot attempt revealed that it was losing track of the Unibeast USB during boot attempt as expected. The proposed solution to this is:

• If you get all garbled text and/or the message "Still waiting for root device" with the prohibited sign:
    • Try the install USB in every single USB port on your case, motherboard, add-on PCI card, USB hub, etc. and see if it gets farther on any of those
    • If you're using a USB3 stick, use a USB2 stick and try all USB ports again
    • Try booting with cpus=1.
  • If you have USB hub or a port replicator, try putting the install USB in there

None of that worked for me.

What I did do was: boot the El Capitan installer from the Unibeast USB instead, then select Utilities > Terminal, and made the changes to the internal disk's EFI partition using the command line. At a high level, this looks something like this. be careful, these are not the exact commands and it will depend on the internal arrangement of your disks, and be careful in the EFI as always):

mkdir /Volumes/EFI (make a mounting point for your EFI partition)
mount_msdos dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI (mount the EFI to the mount point)
rename Microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi (rename the windows boot efi file as a backup)
copy Clover/cloverx64.efi to Microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi (copy the clover boot efi to the MS boot dir)

eject Unibeast USB and restart. clover bootloader should now boot and allow you to select either OS.

thanks for the info I try with hardware acceleration in the browser, as far as the boot after the update w10, always starts with windows, to me the procedure worked, basically it is the same thing as when you install it for the first time however getting the copy of the EFI folder and copy it to the EFI partition is the fastest thing to do if it should happen again

thanks for the info I try with hardware acceleration in the browser, as far as the boot after the update w10, always starts with windows, to me the procedure worked, basically it is the same thing as when you install it for the first time however getting the copy of the EFI folder and copy it to the EFI partition is the fastest thing to do if it should happen again

Thank you for the tip, however I'm not sure I understand. So you've installed Win10, and it's only booting to win10 -- how did you fix the EFI? The guide says use Unibeast USB to boot your internal OSX and change it from within OSX, but I wasn't able to boot OSX because of the 'root device' error. I could only boot the Unibeast OSX installer, or Win10. Can you mount/edit the EFI partition from Win10, is that what you mean?

I did get it to work with terminal, but I will probably need to do it again after Windows Update so I would be grateful to know an easier way.

This was my first time installing OSx on a non-native Apple product. Thank you very much for the clear and easy to follow directions. I didn't need to change any Bios settings and hopefully won't need to. I'm running Bios 0355.

I'm wondering what the chances are of using the built in WIFI? I'm using the ethernet port now. I don't have an immediate need for WIFI but I'm curious. Is this something that's still in development or will you start working on other projects and leave this the way it is?

Debating whether I should purchase the WIFI adapter or wait a couple months..

Thank you

I am reporting some issues with bluetooth and system sleep on NUC5i5RYH.

Issues:

1. Bluetooth

- Stock bluetooth: works OOB but there is excessive battery drainage of Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad
- GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 Dual Mode Micro USB Broadcom BCM20702 Adapter Dongle: works OOB without excessive battery drainage of Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad

2. Processor thermal trip on system sleep

- Would occur only when a USB bluetooth dongle is in use
- Instead of sleep, system would shutdown. Right before shutting down, the fan would go into maximum speed. Upon boot again, the processor thermal trip message would be shown.

Solution:

- Use GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 Dual Mode Micro USB Broadcom BCM20702 Adapter Dongle
- Use Keyboard Maestro to run an AppleScript which turns off bluetooth upon system sleep and turns on bluetooth upon system wake

Observation:

- AppleScript 1: turn off bluetooth
tell application "System Preferences"
set current pane to pane "com.apple.preferences.Bluetooth"
end tell

tell application "System Events"
tell process "System Preferences"
click button "Turn Bluetooth Off" of window "Bluetooth"
end tell
end tell

quit
end tell

- AppleScript 2: toggle bluetooth on and off
set current pane to pane "com.apple.preferences.Bluetooth"
end tell

tell application "System Events"
tell process "System Preferences"
set statName to name of button 3 of window 1 as string
set failSafe to 0

repeat until statName is not name of button 3 of window 1 as string ¬
or failSafe is 10
click button 3 of window 1
set failSafe to failSafe + 1
delay 0.1
end repeat
end tell
end tell

quit
end tell

- When run from Script Editor,
* AppleScript 1 would not turn off system bluetooth but all bluetooth devices would disconnect
* On the other hand, AppleScript 2 would always turn off system bluetooth reliably

- When AppleScript 1 is run from Keyboard Maestro upon system sleep,
* System sleep would occur
* Either Apple wireless keyboard or trackpad could be used to wake the system
* Bluetooth would be available upon system wake and both Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad are available readily

- When AppleScript 2 is run from Keyboard Maestro upon system sleep,
* Neither Apple wireless keyboard nor trackpad could be used to wake the system
* Bluetooth would not be available upon system wake and therefore, neither Apple wireless keyboard nor trackpad would be available

- When AppleScript 2 is run from Keyboard Maestro upon system sleep and upon system wake,
* Neither Apple wireless keyboard nor trackpad could be used to wake the system
* Bluetooth would be available upon system wake and both Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad would then connect and become available after a short delay

New problem : the system randomly reboots (usually after 10/15mn) with 0 apps open

Edit : just found the problem. its related to "energy saver" settings.
"turn display off after..." I fixed this to 1mn, and after 1mn of inactivity the system reboots itself

Is this something you are already aware of, and can I fix it ? (besides fixing it to "never")

Another bug : shutting down OSX reboot it automatically
I used to have the same issues as you. If you searched this thread, you would also find the solution mentioned multiple times. ;-)
Turn off/disable DisplayPort 1.2 on your monitor and those issues disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back