Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of which: does SuperDuper copy the EFI partition in addition to the OSX partition? Can clover boot directly off a SuperDuper clone?

No and No.

You have to copy EFI partition content manually, which works fine (then you can boot from it). You will lose your recovery partition, though, unless you deal with that manually as well.

No and No.

You have to copy EFI partition content manually, which works fine (then you can boot from it). You will lose your recovery partition, though, unless you deal with that manually as well.

Thank you so much. So, if I'm currently in a position where the files in my EFI partition might be corrupted, what would be the easiest way to backup my system? I think read in a post on here that, if you use Time Machine for backups, you can use a command-line command after booting using the Unibeast USB to restore from a time machine backup?

If you want to restore from Time Machine it's covered in the big list of solutions.

On the other hand, it's not that hard to re-do your EFI partition. If you still have the USB install drive you used, you can copy from that as a base and then re-install sound drivers with MultiBeast or the cloverALC script to put the audio settings back into config.plist.

Otherwise, you can just manually wipe the EFI partition, then re-run MultiBeast and select Quick Start UEFI and any drivers you want. After MultiBeast, you can apply any additional drivers or other changes you need from the first post.

What if you Piggy back the Apple Wifi card with adpater ontop of this adapter?
Apple Wifi + 2 adapters?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OQ1Y5UA/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

i have a mini-pci-e wifi/BT card that is one of the ones currently recommended on tonymac for el capitan. i would like to try it in the nuc. my 5i5RYH just has a single M.2 slot (the intel wifi/bt card is soldered to the mobo) so i feel there is enough headroom between the M.2 adapter board and the bottom cover for it to fit.

however, the adapter card you linked to says it's for a mini pci-e SSD, not a wifi card. i did some googling yesterday and i believe there are differences in the connected pins on the adapter cards that adapt to SSDs vs. wifi cards.

has anyone found an adapter card that is known to work with a wifi card?

thanks!

Hi grate GUIDE many thanks.

Hardware
Intel Nuc 5i5MYHE
250Gb M.2 Samsung Evo 850 (OS X 10.11.3 installed)
250Gb SATA SS Samsung Evo (going to install Windows 10)
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16 DDR3
Dell DW1560 (BCM94352Z chip) ( Need help installing)
Bios 0026

Had a fue problems that may help others
1. on initial install i had to use usb port on the side of the power cord (I call the Back) or install would get stuck or get error if i used the usb ports on the front (side with Audio Output)
2.you can plug in the mouse in one of the front usb ports after i got to the os x install screen.
3. I had installed windows on one of the drives. and for some time i could not get to the clover screen. After i deleted the partition rebooted on the 1st try THERE WAS THE CLOVER SCREEN.
Do not have partition on any drive when starting make them in the disk utility. when you get to that screen.

So thanks ammulder GRATE GUIDE

Looking for help?
Could you help me with the install of my dell DW1560 (BCM94352Z chip)I am very new to Mac I was a windows guy for years and Build many systems and have a good concept but need some things spelled out for me. LOL

I found a post with this code ?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/157720-setting-up-bcm94352z.html

<dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AirPortBrcm4360</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>axAAAHUN</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>axAAAJCQ</data>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>10.10-BCM94352-Airport-Extreme</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>IOBluetoothFamily</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>SIXAdFwPt0g=</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>Qb4PAAAA61k=</data>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>10.10.2-BT4LE-Handoff-Hotspot</string>
</dict>

How do i add to Clover

"And these 2 clover patches (the IOBluetooth is taken from the-darkvoid's plist for 10.10.2 for the same card)"

I open clover mount EFI Drive and open the config.plist in clover ??

Thanks in advance ..

Never mind I feel DUMB :banghead:

Had to finsh the Guide
Wifi card up and running

Many thanks :wave:

Just finished a wipe and clean reinstall following guide precisely for my NUC5i5RYH.
Everything is flawless as before! using internal bluetooth, too (although for some reason it drains the battery of my bluetooth devices very quickly compared to a dongle).

However, I have one glaring issue: processor thermal trips during sleep.

I'm on BIOS 0355, and I used ammulder's power settings to prevent auto-restart after shutdown. However, during sleep, I get processor thermal trips.
It doesn't happen immediately; if I'm home and it sleeps, I can wake it up within a few minutes. But, when I go to work and let it sleep the whole day, it doesn't wake up, and when I hard boot, I see processor thermal trip. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Greetings from Mainland China, I've got my own Intel NUC5i5RYH working on El Capitan followed your step by step guide, but I found the Intel HD6000 graphic failed to get full QE/CI acceleration, any way to it working with acceleration? Pls kindly help, thanks in advance!

Hi, just wanted to report that I (accidentally okayed and) ran the App Store 10.11.3 update from my original 10.11.1 install on my i3 NUC5i3MYHE and thankfully all looks to be A-OK. I had been avoiding the update for fear of boinking up my perfect little Nucintosh w/o a BMR-able backup, which I haven't had a chance to work on yet.

While I'm at it, happy to also report that ~5 or 6 weeks ago I got my mits on a refurbed Dell DW1560 card and followed the instructions at the top of the guide, and that blazingly fast 802.11ac WiFi and Bluetooth are working swimmingly as well. Mostly using the bluetooth for iMessages when I'm working at home on this thing. Don't think I ever reported back on that.

Ammulder, you are the BEST!! Thank you so much.

Has anyone tried to run the OS X El Capitan v10.11.2 update (the Nov 30th update) from 10.11.1?

I'm especially keen to hear if anyone has done it on the i3 NUC5i3MYHE.

There were three pieces to this update - the Recovery Update, The 10.11.2 update, and the Digital Camera Raw update. There was maybe an iTunes update in there too but I ran that one separately (no problems there).

Many thanks to all here for help!

Just finished a wipe and clean reinstall following guide precisely for my NUC5i5RYH.
Everything is flawless as before! using internal bluetooth, too (although for some reason it drains the battery of my bluetooth devices very quickly compared to a dongle).

However, I have one glaring issue: processor thermal trips during sleep.

I'm on BIOS 0355, and I used ammulder's power settings to prevent auto-restart after shutdown. However, during sleep, I get processor thermal trips.
It doesn't happen immediately; if I'm home and it sleeps, I can wake it up within a few minutes. But, when I go to work and let it sleep the whole day, it doesn't wake up, and when I hard boot, I see processor thermal trip. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Me too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back