Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
One last issue solved on my NUC, not with OSX but with the NUC hardware -- something about the shape of the NUC case makes it really hard for my Microsoft wireless keyboard usb transmitter to stay in contact with my wireless keyboard, regardless of whether the usb dongle is in the front or back USB ports. I found that putting it on a short extension cord, even a few inches, fixes this.

To make it look a little cleaner, I used a passthrough USB volt/amp meter I have to give it just a few inches of clearance from the NUC case, which fixed the connection issues. Interestingly, it barely tips the scales at 0.01 amps, barely at the threshold of any reading at all. Picture attached. You can see my NUC in the foreground, and my 7-port USB hub/ext hdds/dead 2011 Mac Mini in the bg.

View attachment 169833

I had a similar problem. From my reading it was an interference in the 2.4 GHz range caused by USB 3 peripherals being plugged in too close to the wireless mouse. My workaround was to make sure the wireless keyboard/mouse was not plugged in on the same side as any USB3 devices. This helped, but it wasn't perfect.

I just got some wires to hook up my internal USB2 headers. I'm planning to put the wireless keyboard and internet dongles in there, so hopefully that will completely get rid of the issue.

I had a similar problem. From my reading it was an interference in the 2.4 GHz range caused by USB 3 peripherals being plugged in too close to the wireless mouse. My workaround was to make sure the wireless keyboard/mouse was not plugged in on the same side as any USB3 devices. This helped, but it wasn't perfect.

I just got some wires to hook up my internal USB2 headers. I'm planning to put the wireless keyboard and internet dongles in there, so hopefully that will completely get rid of the issue.

Thank you for letting me know that you see this too and that it's a known issue! I found the support doc you were talking about, and yes you are correct -- they specifically reference USB 3.0 being a potential source of interference for 2.4ghz wireless devices, and they recommend using an extension cable as a solution, as we both basically thought of. Pls let me know if the internal header solves the issue, I would be very interested to know. Thanks!

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/w...al-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

'...the noise from USB 3.0 data spectrum can be high(in the 2.4–2.5 GHz range). This noise can radiate from the USB 3.0 connector on aPC platform, the USB 3.0 connector on the peripheral device or the USB 3.0 cable. Ifthe antenna of a wireless device operating in this band is placed close to any of theabove USB 3.0 radiation channels, it can pick up the broadband noise. The broadbandnoise emitted from a USB 3.0 device can affect the SNR and limit the sensitivity of anywireless receiver whose antenna is physically located close to the USB 3.0 device. This may result in a drop in throughput on the wireless link.'

Try this for BIOS 352 (may work for 350 too):

On the Advanced / Power screen, check USB S4/S5 Power, but make sure the following are all off/unchecked:
Wake on LAN from S4/S5
Wake System from S5
Wake on USB from S5
PCIe ASPM Support
Native ACPI OS PCIe Support

That makes my NUC5i5RYK shut down without starting up again. I am still able to sleep and wake it again by e.g. clicking the mouse.

This solved the restart issue after shutdown on BIOS 0352.

Thanks for the great work and this excellent guide, everything is working on my NUC5i3RYH including bluetooth, I was able to pair my magic mouse, apple wireless keyboard (reset it if you had it paired before hand with another computer, otherwise it won't pair, also, you must pair it trough the keyboard preference pane instead of the bluetooth preference pane).

Thank you for your reply, and sorry about the delayed response. Here is a photo of the panic: http://i.imgur.com/AO5viLs.jpg

(Sorry about the flash. If it's obstructive let me know.)

I'm having same exact issue here. Running NUC5i5MYHE running BIOS version 0026. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_5071.jpgIMG_5070.jpg

Seem like the issue itself is with ACPI.

Apple16X50ACPIO: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device=UAR1
Apple16X50UARTSync0: Detected 16550AF/C/CF FIFO=16 MaxBaud=115200
<CUT>
IOBluetoothHostControlerUARTransport::ConfigurePM ACPI device not found
panic(put 0 caller …

when I put -x flag I can boot to the installer but then after reboot I get stuck again.

UPDATE:
Seems like after unchecking "Serial Port" under DEVICES -> ONBOARD DEVICES tab -> in the right side panel - "Legacy Devices Configuraiton"

I don't get the kernel panic anymore. Can get into installer w/o issues. Hopefully I can follow the guide from that point on.

Hello,

I have a NUC5I5RYH with Windows 10. I am thinking about switching to El Capitain.
My current Hardware is:
- NUC5i5RYH
- Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
- 16 GB RAM (HyperX Impact HX318LS10lBK2/16 1866Mhz DDR3 CL10)
- Dell U2212Hm via Displayport

Could you please answer the following questions?
1. WLAN chip is not working?
2. NFC is not working?
3. Bluetooth is working?
4. Is my RAM supported?
5. Are there any other known issues?
6. Could you recommend to use OSX on a NUC as productive system?

Many thanks in advance,
free2k

Could you please answer the following questions?
1. WLAN chip is not working?
2. NFC is not working?
3. Bluetooth is working?
4. Is my RAM supported?
5. Are there any other known issues?
6. Could you recommend to use OSX on a NUC as productive system?

1. Correct
2. Correct
3. Some people seem to have it working; others report issues
4. OS X is not that picky about the RAM, except if it's all in one stick you should put it in the lower slot. If you have two sticks and the RAM works in Windows you should be OK.
5. There are always issues, but there are generally workarounds
6. Would not recommend the NUC6 yet but the NUC5i5 should be fine

https://vid.me/MHxQ

I followed the guide and made a USB, app store download is 11.1.2, could that be problem and i need the GM release for this to work. Fist try I get a prohibhited sign and the next this error: PCI configuration error. I have double checked all BIOS settings and they are correct. What could be the problem?

Edit 1: I was able to install it, needed to disable vt-d and virtualization.

Hi Ammulder and others,

Everything on my 5i5RYH is working fine, including bluetooth.

But recently, I've been having some funky problems with my USB-connected external DAC. I have a nuForce DAC that constantly disconnects, comes back on, disconnects, comes back, and on and on, resulting in constant popping sound. It starts around halfway through the booting process after the apple logo appears.

This happened before, and I dismantled all the connection and somehow it worked again after I put everything back together. But this time, I did the same and it's still on the blinks. Under System Pref -> Sound -> Output, you can actually see the nuForce disappear, appear, disappear, etc. constantly.

Also, sometimes the audio would just stop during a Netflix movie for no reason, and I check the System Pref and the nuForce device has disappeared.

I'm running El Cap 10.11.2 (as per ammulder's excellent guide) along with toleda's audio patch which turns on the front audio port. Everything's been working fine until this snag with the DAC. I can't figure out whether there's some sort of corruption with the USB driver or the audio patch after a system update? I started with 10.11.1. I'm certain the problem's in OS X somewhere because under Win10 (which I dual boot to) the DAC performs like a trooper.

Please, if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!!

S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back