Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm at my wit's end here.

I have a nice install of 10.11.2on my NUC5i5-RYH, have had installed since 10.11.0

The entire time, I've been getting random reboots. I get about 6-10 a day, which means I can't leave any work open.

This is driving me nuts.

I'm inclined to think it's graphics related because I'm using two monitors and one is always really garbled until OSX is entirely booted up. Also it seems like the restarts can be triggered by video events, but there are *no* messages anywhere in the logs.

I'm using the correct config.plist, BIO 348, and thecorrect ssdt's.
I've messed around with the IGP aperature settings in BIOS, to no avail.

Can someone help me figure out what's going on?

There's never a crash report generated, I've checked.
I've also done the one-monitor on each port check, and no go. Still reboots. I forget exactly what order I did it in so it's worth trying again.

Any system reports I can run to help diagnose?

HI!

My NUC5 i5RYH has also 2 monitors (portrait + landscape) attached to it.

Never had any trouble with unexpected reboots. BIOS is 350. To avoid the reboot after shutdown, I have disabled the "wake on lan" in the bios.

Could that help?

Anyway, I'm still stuck with 11.1 and can't upgrade to 11.2.

pls update.
i've got my nuc5i5myhe's shutdown issue fixed. just use Rehabman's intel 7/8 series usb patch and change GPRW(0x6D,0x04) to GPRW(0x6D,0x00) and it won't reboot after shutdown, and sleep works fine. it wakes when i click on my magic mouse.
BTW, DELL P2415Q works fine with DP.(its color sucks)

not a native speaker,i've tried my best

Hey,

nice guide everything worked fine on my NUC5i3RYH. :)
But I'm seeing very slow write speeds to my ssds while the read speeds are fine.

Any clue?

Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 22.29.20.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-18 at 22.30.37.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-18 at 22.31.02.png

Now that I try, SATA disk benchmarks are a little inconsistent for me.

On a NUC5i5, I tried both an 850 EVO m.2 drive and an 850 EVO 2.5" drive with 10.11.2 and the BlackMagic Disk Speed Test. The performance is pretty much the same for the two.

When the test first starts up, the write speed shoots right up to about 488 MB/s. But within a few seconds, it starts falling, falling, falling. Read holds steady at about 505 MB/s. Then it switches back to write and gets 150 MB/s. If I stop and wait a bit and start again, I see the same -- writes start high, then fall. If I let it go for a while, the write speed may creep back up to 300 MB/s, or even all the way to 480 MB/s, then fall a bit, and etc.

Bottom line, write speeds vary way more than I'd expect. CPU temp and speed is steady, so no apparent throttling there, though the drives heat up a bit. Overall, I'm not sure how to explain it.

I should add that the NVMe benchmarks were strange in a different way -- on the 5i5 I got about 1500 MB/s for both read and write with a 950 Pro, whereas putting the same drive on a 170 board the read was more like 2200 MB/s.

At some point I'll try the PCIe m.2 drive too, but I'll have to reinstall OS X first. :)

Now that I try, SATA disk benchmarks are a little inconsistent for me.

On a NUC5i5, I tried both an 850 EVO m.2 drive and an 850 EVO 2.5" drive with 10.11.2 and the BlackMagic Disk Speed Test. The performance is pretty much the same for the two.

When the test first starts up, the write speed shoots right up to about 488 MB/s. But within a few seconds, it starts falling, falling, falling. Read holds steady at about 505 MB/s. Then it switches back to write and gets 150 MB/s. If I stop and wait a bit and start again, I see the same -- writes start high, then fall. If I let it go for a while, the write speed may creep back up to 300 MB/s, or even all the way to 480 MB/s, then fall a bit, and etc.

In my case it's not only the benchmarks. Copying Xcode from .dmg in to applications folder on the same drive took about 43 minutes... I don't get it. I did retake the postinstall steps from the guide with no effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back