Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I connect the NUC via mini-DP to hdmi, but 1080p only, sleep works fine. One other thing with HDMI is during clover boot screen it is 1440 not 1080, but it is boots into the desktop its 1080.
Same thing happens with a mini-hdmi to hdmi.

I'm not sure what to say. I have gotten full 4K resolution via both mini-HDMI to HDMI and and active mini-DP to HDMI. But if you say you get full resolution see times and not others, it doesn't sound like the adapters or cables are the problem, it sounds more like OS X is not detecting the monitor settings right. There's some way to manually generate an EDID for the monitor, though I don't recall the procedure off the top of my head. Might be worth looking into.

I have the NUC5i5 RYH with a Acer K272HUL 27" display.
When I connect to NUC to the display with a mini-DP to DP it works great, full resolution, except when the NUC is put to sleep it restarts!
[/CODE]
I had the same issue with the NUC restarting when the monitor enters sleep.
Sounds funny but you need to disable DP 1.2. I have a Dell monitor and whenever DP 1.2 is enabled, the NUC restarts when the monitor goes to sleep. When I disable DP 1.2 the monitor goes to sleep without the NUC restarting. :)

rammo, there would be a lot of people interested in this. Do you have a GitHub link or something to share, even before it's completely working?

What ammulder said. If this is legit I would love to poke around and potentially contribute.

I had the same issue with the NUC restarting when the monitor enters sleep.
Sounds funny but you need to disable DP 1.2. I have a Dell monitor and whenever DP 1.2 is enabled, the NUC restarts when the monitor goes to sleep. When I disable DP 1.2 the monitor goes to sleep without the NUC restarting. :)

Thanks that fixed it!

rammo, there would be a lot of people interested in this. Do you have a GitHub link or something to share, even before it's completely working?

Hi. No sorry not yet, however i will create one once i feel its closer to a release, so that people can compile it on their own and also feel safe there is nothing hidden :)

Hi. No sorry not yet, however i will create one once i feel its closer to a release, so that people can compile it on their own and also feel safe there is nothing hidden :)

For what it's worth I was more thinking that people could see what kind of techniques are necessary to get a WiFi driver going on OS X, and also you might get some testers who could report results on different boards or with different power-saving configurations and etc.

But let us know when you're ready.

I'm not going to speculate on which adapters would or wouldn't work, since I haven't tried any of them. Be aware that on the MYHE modules the m.2 WiFi slot is under the m.2 disk slot, and there's not a lot of clearance, so you'd need to be careful with the vertical height of the adapters. You'd also want to make sure the adapter is keyed correctly and passes through both PCIe and USB.

But the MYHE also has some other drawbacks, such as slower GPU and m.2 disk speeds.

All things considered, it might be better to get the RYH or RYK with USB WiFi and/or BT. The AC1200 works if you download the El Capitan drivers from an unofficial source, but blocks a second USB port unless you have a short USB extension cable or hub to put it on.

I'm not sure where the power usage figures come from. IIRC the NUC uses 2-3W when idle, and in most cases you don't have it running full-bore all the time. If you plan to, be aware that you'll notice the noise.

Finally, the Skylake i3/i5 NUCs should arrive relatively soon (the i5 with Iris 540 graphics), and they've announced another one with Iris Pro 580 graphics for Q1. When OS X gets the drivers in better shape for Skylake graphics, that should be seriously impressive.

I can understand that. Could I recommend making a work-in-progress thread somewhere? I would love to know what you are doing, how you got started (iwidarwin upgrade, a linux driver port, from scratch), how long you have been working on it what problems you are facing and possibly some proof of concept?

I have been told it is unlikely to impossible for so long I find it super hard to believe you actually have it going! I am trying not to get my hopes up, but its too late for that.

Gonna stop hijacking this thread now :p Will follow your progress as you share it closely, Rammo.

Hello!

I followed your guide to set up a NUC i5 5RYH directly under 10.11.1.
Quite nice!

However, trying an update to 10.11.2 generates multiple messages regarding the sandbox, many (all?) apps being denied access.

BooterConfig is set to 0x28 and CsrActiveConfig to 0x67 with clover.

Had no problems updating an hasswell i3 - gigabyte - nvidia 9600 to 10.11.2.

What the hell did I miss?

Thanks for the reading and many thks for answering!!

I haven't tried updating a NUC yet -- I'll try to give that a shot and report.

That said, the only tie a saw a jillion sandbox messages was when booting in safe mode -- so make sure you're not using -x in your boot arguments or selecting safe mode from the Clover menu. It might be possible to actually wait for all those messages to finish, I kind of forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back