Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could somebody advise which is the best one to get, the NUC5i3RYH or the NUC5i5RYH?

Well, the i3 one has an i3 CPU with HD5500 graphics, and the i5 one has an i5 CPU with HD6000 graphics. Otherwise they're identical. So, do you want an i3 or an i5, and do you care about the difference in graphical horsepower?

I'm looking to run OSX and windows as a dual boot. I am also looking to play games on both platforms if possible. Would it be possible to do that?

Also is it possible to keep on VT-x in the bios when running OSX for virtualisation of other systems?

I'm still having issues with my upgrade from yosemite to elcap on my NUC5i5RYH (HD6000/i5-5250U)

I ran the installer, and I can boot into the ElCap install using the multibeast USB, but the graphics are broken (flashing/laggy). I use all the instructions perfectly including the SSDTs and the plist provided.

When I boot without the USB, it hangs at the progress bar at 100%, -v shows that there are valid [IGPU] messages

I have to have HFSplus.efi in my driver64UEFI folder in order to see my osx install when I boot without the multibeast USB....

I think at this point I will delet all folders from the EFI partition and start over...

Sosurim, can you post your complete EFI?

Thanks!
t

Sorry didn't see this earlier.

Here you go. Fresh off my drive. FYI, it's kinda bloated because my NUC's dual-booting El Cap and Windows 10 (one two separate SSDs), and the windows recovery folder is taking up a lot of space. But I'm including everything. You can weed out what you don't need.

Hope it works out!

View attachment EFI.zip

Clearing out the EFI and re-clovering worked.

Now, I have no sound, due to message below, and HDMI port is not working (garbled, or causes restart when plugging in) , and getting random restarts. What diagnostic info should I post for help?

output from toleda's script:

System Integrity Protection status: enabled (Custom Configuration).

Configuration:
Apple Internal: disabled
Kext Signing: disabled
Filesystem Protections: disabled
Debugging Restrictions: enabled
DTrace Restrictions: enabled
NVRAM Protections: enabled

This is an unsupported configuration, likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.

I'm looking to run OSX and windows as a dual boot. I am also looking to play games on both platforms if possible. Would it be possible to do that?

Also is it possible to keep on VT-x in the bios when running OSX for virtualisation of other systems?

I would definitely go with the i5 if you want to game at all. It runs Minecraft fine, but on the Heaven benchmark at 1080p, it gets a whopping 9.6 FPS average. So you'll have to dial down the resolution and quality settings in most modern games. The i3 has half the compute units in the GPU, so I expect it would be noticeably worse, though I haven't benchmarked it yet.

You can keep all VT settings on except VT-d. You can try with VT-d, but it's known for causing trouble "on some boards." I'm not sure whether the NUC would turn out to be one of them.

Clearing out the EFI and re-clovering worked.

Now, I have no sound, due to message below, and HDMI port is not working (garbled, or causes restart when plugging in) , and getting random restarts. What diagnostic info should I post for help?

output from toleda's script:

System Integrity Protection status: enabled (Custom Configuration).

Configuration:
Apple Internal: disabled
Kext Signing: disabled
Filesystem Protections: disabled
Debugging Restrictions: enabled
DTrace Restrictions: enabled
NVRAM Protections: enabled

This is an unsupported configuration, likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.

That part is all normal (e.g. "good") output from the script. Try running "csrutil status" and you'll see. It just confirms that SIP is disabled and therefore the changes the script is making will work. Please post the full script output.

Hotplugging HDMI is known to cause crashes. Make sure you have the SSDT.aml and SSDT-1.aml for your unit in the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ directory of your boot drive EFI partition. Garbled graphics usually means SSDT-1.aml in particular is not being loaded.

I'm still having issues with my upgrade from yosemite to elcap on my NUC5i5RYH (HD6000/i5-5250U)

I ran the installer, and I can boot into the ElCap install using the multibeast USB, but the graphics are broken (flashing/laggy). I use all the instructions perfectly including the SSDTs and the plist provided.

When I boot without the USB, it hangs at the progress bar at 100%, -v shows that there are valid [IGPU] messages

I have to have HFSplus.efi in my driver64UEFI folder in order to see my osx install when I boot without the multibeast USB....

I think at this point I will delet all folders from the EFI partition and start over...

Sosurim, can you post your complete EFI?

Thanks!
t

tazman,

If in case you need the EFI on the ElCap installer USB, here it is. It's much smaller in size. I'm sure you created one using ammulder's great instructions, but just in case...

S

View attachment USB_Installer_EFI.zip

One more note on gaming on the NUC: the Skylake NUCs are coming soon. The Skylake NUC6i5SYK/H will have an Iris 640 GPU with 64MB of eDRAM cache, which made a huge difference to gaming on the Broadwell desktop processors.

Of course, I have no idea how long it will be before we get OS X running well on the Skylake NUC... the Skylake integrated graphics are a bit of a mess right now. But if you want to future-proof, you might consider it.

Setup a perfect system right now by the guide, can't be happier, thanks guys!

Intel nuc 5i5ryh. 8gbx2 crucial, 500gb crucial ssd.

install pretty smooth, there was stop sign after 1st pass reboot, tried several more times, it passes and everything goes well.

have to turn off legacy boot when install windows 10, or you'll get partition problem.

after first boot of el capitan, the graphic card doesn't work correctly on my 34inch dell 3415w monitor, after reboot, the resolution setup correctly and very beautiful.

turn on on-board bluetooth in bios, it turns out el capitan recognize it, but can't pair. install additional bluetooth driver by suggestion in this thread, it works!

tried wifi usb adapter from tp-link, but none of them allowed be installed on el capitan, by suggestion from ammulder, found a realteak driver online, it works perfectly now. both WN725N and AC1200 works no problem.

Can you post the link to the realtek driver? I also have an Edimax dongle that's been laying around my desk for about 6 months - year or so. Not sure what chipset it uses, but would like try it out. That would pretty much complete my Hackintosh NUC... for now. Perhaps later, I can get the CIR running, oh and the NFC :)

S

Ammulder,

thank you for your perfect guide. I was able to run OSX on my Intel Nuc NUC5i5MYHE. I have compared the performance with my Mac Mini i5 2.8Ghz and the intel Nuc has similar performance.

I have a question regarding the dual boot .
I would like to install Windows 7 (I have a retail license for it) and then upgrade to Windows 10.
I've prepared the usb drive as per instruction on page 1 of this guide but with Efi mode I'm not able to boot it. Then I've changed some bios parameters to boot in legacy mode and so Windows 7 setup is starting.
However when I'm trying to install windows on the dedicated partition on the same SSD of OSX (I have 250GB drive with 150 dedicated to OSX and 100GB to windows), windows setup is not working since it states the drive is using GPT partition table.

I've read around and around but I was not able to solve the problem. One time , I don't know how, I was able to install 7 and dual booting OSX without clover but directly pressing F10 on Nuc (Eufi for OSX with clover and Legacy for Windows with its boot loader). Then I had to format the hard drive again because I've broken osx doing some experiment and now I'm not able anymore to repeat the correct sequence.
Anybody has come ideas about?

Thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back