Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I tried the Unibeast method this time around, the NUC detected the boot drive just fine.

When I select "Boot Mac OS X from USB" I get the apple logo for a second, which is then replaced by a black screen with a white cursor in the middle though. I've tried multiple times to no avail, it doesn't seem to move past that screen.

Any ideas?

EDIT - Leaving my original post as is for others' benefit. What fixed it was enabling legacy boot from the BIOS (in addition to UEFI boot). Now I'm seeing a progress bar beneath the apple logo.

Hi,
my first message on this board as well. thanks a lot ammulder!

I'm verry happy with 10.11.1 on my 5i5ryh

Using a Dell p2715q 3840x2160@60Hz via DP and it runs smoothly, besides the fact that it needs a power cycle after login, otherwise it stays black.

Also i activated the bluetooth and it runs nicely for me.

Thanks a lot for the great guid!

Hey everyone - I'm trying to upgrade from a working yosemite build on my 5-i5RYH

The upgrade went fine; I can boot into ElCap using the USB unibeast drive, but graphics is buggy/laggy (broken). All my apps are still in place (yay!)

I installed clover r3292. I can't boot into my HD without USB; I've tried a lot of bootflags but it's not clear what the hang is (it's different for -v, -x -v, and -f -x -v). I've also tried removing all kexts except FakeSMC and reverting to my old yosemite config.plist. The progress bar during boot gets all the way to the end (although it takes forever starting around 3/4) but then just sits at 100%. Any thoughts?

UPDATE: downgrading to r3280 did not help. Tried changing Video aperature sizes, did not help.

UPDATE: Uninstalling a VPN client de-obscured the boot messages.
With -v, it hangs at "Sounds assertion in AppleHDADrvier at line 1088" and then "Missing bluetooth Controller Transport"
with -x -v, it hangs at "in6_unlink_ifa: IPv6 address 0x............ has no prefix"

ujx86,

Thank you so much for that tip - it enabled me to finally get El Cap up and running on my nuc5i5myhe! :D I never would have thought to enable legacy boot.

So far this little NUC hackintosh is greatly exceeding my expectations! :headbang:

Hey ammulder, first of all, thank you for giving my NUC5i5RYH a new lease on life. It ran sluggishly under Yosemite using various bits of hacks I picked up here and there. I didn't realize how slow it was, just happy things worked. Using your guide, I installed El Capitan, and I can't believe the speed I'm getting that wasn't there under Yosemite. And everything's working too! Well, except the wifi, NFC and CIR, but I can totally live without them.

I haven't had that problem, though as a workaround, you could try just disabling standby:
Code:
sudo pmset -a standby 0 && sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0

This doesn't seem to do anything, unfortunately. However, I realized that it's not the NUC that goes to sleep. It's the monitor that sleeps and requires power cycle to come back on.

pmset -g reveals that sleep for the NUC is prevented by coreaudiod. Weird.

Hi,
my first message on this board as well. thanks a lot ammulder!

I'm verry happy with 10.11.1 on my 5i5ryh

Using a Dell p2715q 3840x2160@60Hz via DP and it runs smoothly, besides the fact that it needs a power cycle after login, otherwise it stays black.

Also i activated the bluetooth and it runs nicely for me.

Thanks a lot for the great guid!

This is similar to what happens to me, except that for me it only happens when the NUC should go to sleep and the monitor too goes to sleep never to wake up unless I power cycle.

So there seems to be something funky going on with monitors under El Capitan, or perhaps under Clover and/or config.plist??? Not sure.

S

Hey everyone - I'm trying to upgrade from a working yosemite build on my 5-i5RYH

The upgrade went fine; I can boot into ElCap using the USB unibeast drive, but graphics is buggy/laggy (broken). All my apps are still in place (yay!)

I installed clover r3292. I can't boot into my HD without USB; I've tried a lot of bootflags but it's not clear what the hang is (it's different for -v, -x -v, and -f -x -v). I've also tried removing all kexts except FakeSMC and reverting to my old yosemite config.plist. The progress bar during boot gets all the way to the end (although it takes forever starting around 3/4) but then just sits at 100%. Any thoughts?

UPDATE: downgrading to r3280 did not help. Tried changing Video aperature sizes, did not help.

UPDATE: Uninstalling a VPN client de-obscured the boot messages.
With -v, it hangs at "Sounds assertion in AppleHDADrvier at line 1088" and then "Missing bluetooth Controller Transport"
with -x -v, it hangs at "in6_unlink_ifa: IPv6 address 0x............ has no prefix"

You have the same model NUC I have. Mine's working perfectly (or as perfect as can be). I installed using clover r3292, both the installer USB and my HD.

I'm just curious, if your HD is configured for clover, why are you booting into it using unibeast USB? Also, I don't think it's a good idea using the old config.plist. The one that ammulder provides is concise, and using his guide, I was able to get imessage working quickly.

S

Just an update for anyone experiencing audio issues. I've now tested bluetooth earphones and a bluetooth speaker with my i7, and both work fine when selected as the output device - no dropouts or distortion. Could be worth a try if you don't have any luck with setting up an aggregate device.

Also, the advantage of bluetooth over the aggregate audio device is that you can control the output volume in the menu bar and on the bluetooth devices themselves. The aggregate device won't give you that option.

The Bluetooth devices I tested are JayBird BlueBuds X earphones and the UE Boom 2 speaker. I guess any bluetooth device would do the job but be sure to do your research before buying.

Sounds like graphics isn't starting. The file I've labeled SSDT-1.aml has the settings for the Broadwell integrated graphics (though you'd want to rename it if you don't also use the SSDT.aml with the CPU settings). Those go in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

The easiest way to straighten things out if you can only boot from USB is to copy the USB EFI content to the system drive EFI partition.

Hello everybody,

after nearly 5 years out of the Hackintosh activities I have decided to build myself another one too!

Congratulations to everybody who has contributed to building this thread!

I will follow the instructions carefully but now I am on a HW design phase.

I am excited to have chosen the following 1000€ config as below, could anyone let me know if this will work? Especially people having these working components on El Capitan or Yosemite.

Barebone & CPU
Intel NUC NUC5I7RYH
RAM
Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3-1600 1.35V SO-DIMM
Disk 1
Crucial MX200 500GB M.2 Type 2280 Internal SSD
Disk 2
Crucial MX200 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5” Internal SSD

Thanks a lot in avance!
Juan

Status
Not open for further replies.