Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I had Yosemite running okay on my NUC5i5RYH for a while, upgraded to El Capitan recently using this guide (THANK YOU SO MUCH!!). Everything's working super, except...

When it goes to deep sleep (over a few hours), it fails to wake up, and I have to reboot. To be specific, I press a key and the monitor seems to respond but it goes into sleep mode again, never to wake up.

I've read through all the posts and it seems no one else has this problem. It never happened with the Yosemite install (with a different config.plist), so I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware problem.

Anyone experiencing this? If so, please post your solution if you have one. Thanks.

I haven't had that problem, though as a workaround, you could try just disabling standby:
Code:
sudo pmset -a standby 0 && sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0

What's the diff between sleep and standby?

I noticed that when the NUC glows orange, it will come out of sleep okay, but when it's solid blue (and still sleeping) it will not. The problem may be specific to my setup. I have the NUC connected via displayport to an Asus PB278Q monitor. When I try to wake it up from sleep, the monitor reacts by turning blue, but then goes back to sleep. I thought it was the NUC going back to sleep. After turning the monitor off then on, it was okay. Still scratching my head on that one.

Thanks.

S

What's the diff between sleep and standby?

I noticed that when the NUC glows orange, it will come out of sleep okay, but when it's solid blue (and still sleeping) it will not.

I assume standby is somehow a lower-power mode, though I'm really not sure. I haven't had this issue on a NUC, but my H87N-WIFI didn't like standby for some reason.

I thought the NUC always showed orange when sleeping; I thought blue meant it was powered on. If you have to power cycle your monitor to get it to work after sleep/wake, I guess do that for now.

You could try BIOS 0348 if you're not on it already, and see if that makes any difference.

Incredible guide, thanks for this.

I'm on the 5i5RYK (BIOS 0348), and can't seem to boot from USB. The BIOS doesn't detect any bootable disks for some reason. I've gone through the BIOS screenshots in the first post and verified that my settings are the same.

I've tried after replacing all the kexts etc on USB, as well as after creating a vanilla El Capitan USB from the Terminal (with nothing else modified). Both have the same result. Pressing F10 while booting up brings up an empty screen (no boot devices detected).

I don't think it's the flash drive or NUC, cause I'm able to boot up Ubuntu from the same drive just fine. Any ideas?

Make sure you're installing Clover to the USB install drive in UEFI mode ("Install for UEFI booting only / Install Clover to the ESP") and make sure UEFI boot is enabled. You can trying enabling both UEFI and Legacy boot if needed to get past this.

Shortly I will update the guide to use UniBeast, and that will simplify the USB installer preparation.

I write my first message on tonymacx86.com to say "thanks!!! :thumbup:" to ammulder:
I'm a newbe and, without your fantastic guide, I would never be able to make my first Hackintosh. :headbang:
My PC is:
NUC5i7RYH with 0348 BIOS
2x8GB Crucial DDR3
M.2 Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (Windows 10)
SataIII Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (El Capitan)

Everything works great!! :clap::clap::clap:

P.S.: Yesterday Apple has released an El Capitan Update, what should I do?

Glad to hear you got it running!

Please put your NUC model, CPU model, and GPU model in the system configuration space to the left and/or your signature -- it'll be hard for anyone to give you specific advice anywhere else on the site without that information at hand.

I havne't done the 10.11.1 upgrade on a NUC yet -- I'll probably try this afternoon. I don't expect any problems, but if you want to be safe, you can wait and see if I run into anything.

I was able to update my NUC5i7RYH to 10.11.1 from the App Store, no problems. Sound still worked after the update.

(Well, afterward, the App Store wasn't able to check for additional updates, but that is affecting my MBP too, so it doesn't seem like a problem on the NUC.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back