Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pcrow- if you check my post #119 I attached screen shots of every screen in my working NUC5i3MYHE BIOS Using 0032. Hope that'll help.

I'm only using 1080p monitors on mine - at present its a single dell 2311H with a mini dp to hdmi adapter, and then an HDMI-->DVI adapter. but I've successfully had it connected to two ASUS HDMI Monitors as well. Not sure how much displays and cables matter.

any tips / tricks re: downgrading BIOS? I haven't been able to do it.

any tips / tricks re: downgrading BIOS? I haven't been able to do it.
It just worked for me. I downloaded the file to a flash stick, then used the F7 utility within the BIOS to load it (the same way I did it to upgrade). I used a different MSDOS-formatted stick for the BIOS changes, not the one I used for the Hackintosh installation.

I was never able to get the network BIOS update to work. I'm behind a regular NAT, not a corporate firewall.

Ok - let's see if we can sort this out. I don't claim to have expertise in this area, but I can give you advice based on my own experience.

First, can you confirm whether the sound dropouts are in zandronum only, or do they happen with different sources (eg iTunes music, system sounds or other games)? Test other games if you can. If you are getting dropouts with different sources, it may be worth deleting your aggregate device and creating a new one. I've listed a few things to try below.

If the problem is just with zandronum, are there any audio settings within the game that you can adjust? For example, can you select the aggregate device from within the game?

Also, in the Sound System Preference, have you selected the aggregate device in all three tabs (Sound Effects, Output and Input)? If not, do so. Then unplug your headphones, plug them back in and see if that resolves the problem.

Follow these steps if you decide to create a new aggregate device. If you still can't boot maybe try to boot via your usb installer. Once you've booted successfully, go back to the Sound System Preference and set the Sound Effects, Output and Input tabs back to headphones and Line In. If you have your headphones plugged in, unplug them.

Next, go to the Audio Midi setup and delete your aggregate device with the ' - ' button. Add a new aggregate device with the ' + ' button and select the 'use' checkboxes for the input and output device.

Click on the aggregate device in the left hand column and expand it - you should see the input and output devices below it. Click on the input device then go to the far right of the window and make sure the three 'mute' checkboxes are selected. Leave the output device as-is.

Plug your headphones back into the jack but don't put them on (you'll thank me in a minute) then and click the 'configure speakers' button in the lower right corner. Click the left and right speaker options and you should hear a blast of static from each speaker. If you don't get sound, unplug your headphones then plug them back in and try again. If that doesn't work, post back and we'll tweak your settings a bit more.

One you get sound from your headphones, unplug them from the jack and go back to the Sound System preferences. Make sure you select the aggregate device on all three tabs (Sound Effects, Output and Input). Plug your headphones back in and check to see if you can hear the system sounds. If you can't hear any sound, don't panic - it will come back with some more tweaks. Post back and let us know how you go.

Also, I don't think you can control volume on the aggregate device directly (the speaker icon in the menu bar will be grayed out). You should still be able to set the volume of the system sounds in the Sound Effects tab of the Sound System Preference, and you can still adjust volume within some apps (eg iTunes). I'm using an external Bluetooth speaker which has its own volume controls that allow me to change volume as needed.

I redid the computer. I think forcetrim corrupted the drive. Now it cuts in and out for OS sounds too. Aggregate auto, when tested, plays white noise in each speaker.

so...this sucks.

Thanks for this! I was able to successfully install on a NUC5i3MYHE on BIOS 0032 as well. My setup is similar to recoveringwindowsuser but with a Samsung EVO m.2 SSD and 2x8GB Crucial RAM.

I also had to uncheck Trusted Platform thing, the Serial Port, and the GPIO Lockdown. I'm also having the issue where it reboots about 5 seconds after install.

I ordered a wireless/bluetooth card from Dell that should get here in a couple days. I will report back on whether I get that working. Thanks for the great guide!!!

I redid the computer. I think forcetrim corrupted the drive. Now it cuts in and out for OS sounds too. Aggregate auto, when tested, plays white noise in each speaker.

so...this sucks.

Strange. The aggregate audio test should play white noise, so that's expected. I also have trim enabled, but this hasn't caused any issues so far. This is on a Samsung EVO 850 m.2.

I'll be out of town for a week, but I can post screenshots of my Audio Midi and Sound System Preference settings when I get back if you're interested. Maybe I missed something in my previous post. Otherwise, if you want to post screenshots of your settings I'd be happy to take a look.

Thanks for this! I was able to successfully install on a NUC5i3MYHE on BIOS 0032 as well. My setup is similar to recoveringwindowsuser but with a Samsung EVO m.2 SSD and 2x8GB Crucial RAM.

I also had to uncheck Trusted Platform thing, the Serial Port, and the GPIO Lockdown. I'm also having the issue where it reboots about 5 seconds after install.

If you're able to, please try downgrading to the BIOS release before 0032 and see if that fixes the reboot after shutdown issue.

Whether in CC or config.plist, under boot, change the default boot volume to match that of volume you want it to default to. This will have it sit at the Clover boot screen for the specified 'time out' and then boot to that volume automatically. :thumbup:

BINGO - for some reason, when I opened up the config.plist in CC, **somehow** there was an upper-case "D" at the end of the boot volume name. I removed that, saved, and then set it to a 3 second time out. Works like a champ now.

THANKS!!!
--B

Hi mentaluproar

I've attached some screenshots of my audio settings - hope this helps. if you have any questions let me know.

EDIT: Forgot to say, if your aggregate device settings don't match the screen shots, you may be better off deleting it and creating a new one. When I started adjusting the settings on my device I lost audio completely. Deleting it and creating a new one solved the issue.

Attachments

• IntelNUCAudioSetUp.zip
    350.9 KB · Views: 151
If you're able to, please try downgrading to the BIOS release before 0032 and see if that fixes the reboot after shutdown issue.

I am happy to report that the wireless card is working. I also downgraded the BIOS to 0030 and it stays off after shutdown.

I followed this guide to upgrade my i7 NUC from Yosemite to El Capitan. I couldn't get it to boot and then finally after adding FakeSMC to Clover, it booted.

In the instructions it says 'Unzip if needed' so I assumed I didn't need it.

Anyway all is good now and the app store works unlike my previous install :)

One problem I've had is the ethernet kept dropping but after disconnecting some unneeded USB peripherals, that problem seems to have disappear. I had the same issue on my last install where inserting or removing a USB device or even just having certain USB devices plugged in would cause unstable ethernet.

Thanks OP!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 5.09.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 5.09.49 PM.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 200
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back