Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMAZING guide!! I just knocked out my NUC5i3RYH install/config like it was nothing! (OK, well, I **did** have to return the original NUC I bought because it was stuck in an endless loop & would never POST - guess it was defective). But now that I got a replacement that works, I was able dive into this little Sunday afternoon project. You did an amazing job with great level of detail & very accurate descriptions of the user experience! MANY THANKS!!!

This might be O/T, but whenever I boot my NUC now, it always halts at the Clover boot screen. What's the secret to getting the device to simply boot right into OSX? My NUC is going to sit in a close & run my Indigo home automation system, as well as be a Plex Media Server. Even though I'm connecting the NUC to a batter backup, on the odd chance that the system reboots, it'll always get stuck on the Clover screen.

Any thoughts? TIA!
--B

any ideas about the shut down issue with my setup?

I'm having the exact same issue. BIOS version 0032. I would try an older one, but I'm having trouble finding them.

I'm also have the same issue where Clover waits for me to tell it to boot instead of launching OS X immediately.

Oh, and the Apple logo corrupts before the boot completes, but that's just cosmetic. If anyone knows how to fix that, it would put a nice touch of polish on the final result.

AMAZING guide!! I just knocked out my NUC5i3RYH install/config like it was nothing! (OK, well, I **did** have to return the original NUC I bought because it was stuck in an endless loop & would never POST - guess it was defective). But now that I got a replacement that works, I was able dive into this little Sunday afternoon project. You did an amazing job with great level of detail & very accurate descriptions of the user experience! MANY THANKS!!!

This might be O/T, but whenever I boot my NUC now, it always halts at the Clover boot screen. What's the secret to getting the device to simply boot right into OSX? My NUC is going to sit in a close & run my Indigo home automation system, as well as be a Plex Media Server. Even though I'm connecting the NUC to a batter backup, on the odd chance that the system reboots, it'll always get stuck on the Clover screen.

Any thoughts? TIA!
--B

Whether in CC or config.plist, under boot, change the default boot volume to match that of volume you want it to default to. This will have it sit at the Clover boot screen for the specified 'time out' and then boot to that volume automatically. :thumbup:

I'm having the exact same issue. BIOS version 0032. I would try an older one, but I'm having trouble finding them.

Ahh, found it. I downgraded to 30, and now it shuts down exactly as expected. I haven't noticed any other differences. I would recommend avoiding BIOS 32 on the NUC5i3MYHE, and based on other comments, it's likely best to target one release behind whatever is current as of today's date if you encounter this problem.

I seem to have been following the exact same issues.

First, I couldn't even get my memtest86+ boot flash to come up, so I updated to the latest BIOS, and that worked. The test ran overnight, and my RAM is good.

Then it would reboot after getting two-thirds of the way through the bar with the white Apple logo.

Then I turned off TPC, serial, and GPIO locking as suggested, and saw the same screen as you. However, suspecting that there might be a graphics issue, I also increased the minimum IDG memory from 64MB to 128MB. I saw the same screen I quoted above, but I let it sit for a few minutes, and it came up with the utilities screen, so now I'm following the rest of the install. I also have a 5i3MYHE.

Same problem here. Doing an install from the flash drive over top of what I have lets it boot as if there was no problem, but if I remove the stick or try to boot without doing that install over (which looks like its trying to resume installing rather than actually erasing and starting over) then I can't boot and get stuck there. Verbose mode shows it barfs at the GPU stuff.

OK. I haven't done anything on my 5i3MYHE for quite a while because it's running all my kids' Minecraft servers. :) When I get a chance I'll move those off and try a clean install of 10.11.0 and see if I have any issues. It might still be a few days, so if you all can continue to exchange notes in the mean time it would be great.

Whether in CC or config.plist, under boot, change the default boot volume to match that of volume you want it to default to. This will have it sit at the Clover boot screen for the specified 'time out' and then boot to that volume automatically. :thumbup:

That was my problem. I had a typo in the volume name in my config.plist. I used the terminal commands in the guide to list the volumes and mount the EFI volume. Then I was able to edit the config.plist file (I used emacs since I'm a Unix guy). A few lines below the volume name, I changed the timeout from 5 seconds to 1. Can I set it to zero to skip the menu entirely? If I do that, and someday need to get into the menu, is there some key I hold down to cancel the default option?

That was my problem. I had a typo in the volume name in my config.plist. I used the terminal commands in the guide to list the volumes and mount the EFI volume. Then I was able to edit the config.plist file (I used emacs since I'm a Unix guy). A few lines below the volume name, I changed the timeout from 5 seconds to 1. Can I set it to zero to skip the menu entirely? If I do that, and someday need to get into the menu, is there some key I hold down to cancel the default option?

If you set timeout to zero, just hold any key down during power on, to reach the bootloader GUI

I would turn off any "Wake on ..." options in your BIOS, and disable any hardware you're not using.

Can you tell whether it instantly reboots, or actually shuts down for a few seconds and then starts up again?

I think I might have also had an issue like this in the very latest BIOS for the 5i5RYK and 5i7RYH -- I know I switched to the second-most-recent BIOS for some reason. So maybe back off one BIOS version and see if that fixes it?

It shuts down, waits maybe 5ish seconds, and then boots. Hope that's a clue. :)

Pretty sure I've got all of those "wake on" items turned off. But I'll double check.

RE: BIOS, I have not yet successfully been able to downgrade any BIOS on the NUC. It's supposed to work but it never does. I only went to the current one after failures with earlier ones (said failures turned out to most likely be unrelated to BIOS). I tried fiddling with the BIOS jumper and everything. But I was never able to go backwards. Any special tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back