Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
So SSDT.aml is for the CPU, and SSDT-1.aml is for the GPU.

I believe the 5i5MYHE has the same Intel HD5500 GPU as the 5i3RY* so I would use the SSDT-1.aml posted for the i3. You can probably just do without the SSDT.aml for the moment -- at least it's worth a try. I think it ought to boot without it, just CPU speed and power saving might not be ideal. If you get up and running you can generate your own SSDT.aml with ssdtPRGen.sh.

If using the i3 SSDT-1.aml doesn't help, please post the specific details of the problem.

Sorry for the delay folks, this took a little longer than I thought it would.

Attached is a ZIP archive that contains screen shots of each and every one of my NUC5i3MYHE NUCIntosh BIOS settings. I'm running the most current BIOS available as of this post - v.0032.

So far my only issues are as follows:
  • Shut Down functions as "Restart". I changed the recommended setting in Ammulder's guide but that doesn't seem to be helping.
  • I had a lot of trouble bringing this little guy home and getting it to work with my two 1080p ASUS monitors (different from my Dell 2311H's at work, which have DVI-D connectors. I connected one of those using a standard DVI-D to HDMI adapter to connect to the miniDP -> HDMI adapter, and that worked without issue).
    • I dont think my problem was Hackintosh related. Literally just trying to get the pre-post screens to recognize that it was getting signal from the NUC with miniDP to HDMI adapters with those monitors was a real headache. After something like 20 reboots and testing with various cables and other displays around the house, I finally got it to work on one of the ASUS monitors, and then I added the second one once i was booted into El Cap. FWIW the HDMI audio appeared to be working fine on both monitors and the NUCintosh recognized their models w/o issue.
  • I bought a Crucial CT250MX200SSD6 M.2 SSD but I can't get the machine to post at all with that card in it. Again, doesnt appear to be a Hackintosh issue.

That's all I've got for now to report. More to come when I work out my SSD woes and add WiFi/Bluetooth.

Thanks again ammulder!!! you are the MAN.

Attachments

• NUC5i3MYHE_BIOS0032_NUCIntosh.zip
    831.3 KB · Views: 94
Once again, your advice is fantastic. I will definitely check that out.

Question. Anyone have experience with HDMI/USB KVM switches and Hackintoshes, especially NUCs? In limited testing my results have been a big ol' goose egg. Nothin.

I was really planning to use my NUCintosh with a KVM on my desk to go back and forth, but I'm starting to have a very low expectation on that. anyone doing it out there?

Thanks!

I have two NUCs on an IOGear DVI USB KVM switch, with mini-DP to DVI connectors, and that works fine for 1920x1080 (and, needless to say, a DVI monitor). I was really wishing for a 4K HDMI+USB KVM, but it looked like nothing doing there yet. It might be that you could make a DVI KVM work OK with adapters on all three ports, if you don't need higher resolution and don't mind the whole assembly looking kind of comical. :)

I tried creating an aggregate audio device, and I set the system to output to that, but now I can't control volume.

EDIT: it didn't help. Playing zandronum, audio cut in and out every other second. After leaving, it was fine, until I tried to reboot and I couldn't get past the loading bar.

I tried creating an aggregate audio device, and I set the system to output to that, but now I can't control volume.

EDIT: it didn't help. Playing zandronum, audio cut in and out every other second. After leaving, it was fine, until I tried to reboot and I couldn't get past the loading bar.

Ok - let's see if we can sort this out. I don't claim to have expertise in this area, but I can give you advice based on my own experience.

First, can you confirm whether the sound dropouts are in zandronum only, or do they happen with different sources (eg iTunes music, system sounds or other games)? Test other games if you can. If you are getting dropouts with different sources, it may be worth deleting your aggregate device and creating a new one. I've listed a few things to try below.

If the problem is just with zandronum, are there any audio settings within the game that you can adjust? For example, can you select the aggregate device from within the game?

Also, in the Sound System Preference, have you selected the aggregate device in all three tabs (Sound Effects, Output and Input)? If not, do so. Then unplug your headphones, plug them back in and see if that resolves the problem.

Follow these steps if you decide to create a new aggregate device. If you still can't boot maybe try to boot via your usb installer. Once you've booted successfully, go back to the Sound System Preference and set the Sound Effects, Output and Input tabs back to headphones and Line In. If you have your headphones plugged in, unplug them.

Next, go to the Audio Midi setup and delete your aggregate device with the ' - ' button. Add a new aggregate device with the ' + ' button and select the 'use' checkboxes for the input and output device.

Click on the aggregate device in the left hand column and expand it - you should see the input and output devices below it. Click on the input device then go to the far right of the window and make sure the three 'mute' checkboxes are selected. Leave the output device as-is.

Plug your headphones back into the jack but don't put them on (you'll thank me in a minute) then and click the 'configure speakers' button in the lower right corner. Click the left and right speaker options and you should hear a blast of static from each speaker. If you don't get sound, unplug your headphones then plug them back in and try again. If that doesn't work, post back and we'll tweak your settings a bit more.

One you get sound from your headphones, unplug them from the jack and go back to the Sound System preferences. Make sure you select the aggregate device on all three tabs (Sound Effects, Output and Input). Plug your headphones back in and check to see if you can hear the system sounds. If you can't hear any sound, don't panic - it will come back with some more tweaks. Post back and let us know how you go.

Also, I don't think you can control volume on the aggregate device directly (the speaker icon in the menu bar will be grayed out). You should still be able to set the volume of the system sounds in the Sound Effects tab of the Sound System Preference, and you can still adjust volume within some apps (eg iTunes). I'm using an external Bluetooth speaker which has its own volume controls that allow me to change volume as needed.

Anmulder, any ideas about the shut down issue with my setup?

I would turn off any "Wake on ..." options in your BIOS, and disable any hardware you're not using.

Can you tell whether it instantly reboots, or actually shuts down for a few seconds and then starts up again?

I think I might have also had an issue like this in the very latest BIOS for the 5i5RYK and 5i7RYH -- I know I switched to the second-most-recent BIOS for some reason. So maybe back off one BIOS version and see if that fixes it?

Ok getting a little further after turning off Trusted Platform Serial Port, and GPIO Lockdown. Compared your bios screen shots to mine and made everything as close as possible,but not everything is the same on my model.

Never get to the install screen. Stuck at this screen about 3/4 of the way. Any ideas?

View attachment 154027

thanks for the quick reply!

I seem to have been following the exact same issues.

First, I couldn't even get my memtest86+ boot flash to come up, so I updated to the latest BIOS, and that worked. The test ran overnight, and my RAM is good.

Then it would reboot after getting two-thirds of the way through the bar with the white Apple logo.

Then I turned off TPC, serial, and GPIO locking as suggested, and saw the same screen as you. However, suspecting that there might be a graphics issue, I also increased the minimum IDG memory from 64MB to 128MB. I saw the same screen I quoted above, but I let it sit for a few minutes, and it came up with the utilities screen, so now I'm following the rest of the install. I also have a 5i3MYHE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back