Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Guide] 10.11 on Intel Broadwell NUC 2.0

OK so just to be extra-sure I was using the right SSDT and SSDT-1.aml files, I..
  • Re-downloaded them from your link (For NUC5i3: i3-SSDT.aml.zip and i3-SSDT 1.aml.zip (i3-5010U w/ HD5500)
  • used clover configurator to mount the EFI partition on the USB installer key and re-copy the two files into the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ directory. screen shot attached.
10-6-2015-SSDTs being used.png

I used the following boot flags:
-v dart=0

Same result - the infinite spinning beachball at this step:
10-6-2015-result.JPG

Any ideas?

Do you want to just zip up your whole EFI partition or post a screen shot of it with all the directories expanded (like the top-left one in your last post)?

In the BIOS, you should check the video settings against the ones in the first post. You can try IGP minimum size of 64-128, and all the aperture sizes starting with the smallest and working up.

Also, if you think it's a BIOS version issue, I was able to downgrade the BIOS on the non-MYHE just by putting the BIOS file on a flash drive and hitting F7 (I think?) at boot and selecting the older BIOS file to install. But some of the options were definitely a little different than on the i7, for instance, because the hardware configuration is a little different. So I wouldn't expect to get the screen shots to be completely identical.

Do you want to just zip up your whole EFI partition or post a screen shot of it with all the directories expanded (like the top-left one in your last post)?
EFI zipped is attached for your review.
In the BIOS, you should check the video settings against the ones in the first post. You can try IGP minimum size of 64-128, and all the aperture sizes starting with the smallest and working up.
Will do - with or without any boot flag changes from the Clover defaults?
Also, if you think it's a BIOS version issue, I was able to downgrade the BIOS on the non-MYHE just by putting the BIOS file on a flash drive and hitting F7 (I think?) at boot and selecting the older BIOS file to install.
I honestly dont know how to diagnose whether it is / isn't a BIOS issue - Apologies if it seems like I'm assuming that it is. Your initial post says that you'd tested the MYHE on 0017, but I could swear I saw a later post that says you were on 0030 at some point. At any rate if you have a suggestion for a non-0030 version. FWIW, I dont think I can go back to 0017 - I tried to do that the other night and it kept failing.
But some of the options were definitely a little different than on the i7, for instance, because the hardware configuration is a little different. So I wouldn't expect to get the screen shots to be completely identical.
Understood. The biggest difference btw your screen shots and mine are all of those Pin function select options in the Legacy device configuration. I'm just leaving those all alone.

Final question on this post - did I miss anything from "Part 2" of the guide based on this?

Part 2: Install Clover Boot Loader
[1-18 all completed as instructed]
19. Set up config.plist (the Clover configuration file)

• Edit the config.plist that you downloaded. Search for MacHDD and replace it with the name you intend to give your OS drive on the NUC. This is required for it to boot into the OS after a few seconds without waiting indefinitely for your input. Save config.plist.
MacHDD was replaced with "NUCintosh HD", saved config.plist to EFI/EFI/CLOVER/

• If you don’t care about iCloud/iMessage/etc. then copy config.plist toEFI/EFI/CLOVER/ now
I skipped to step 20 at this point, no icloud/imessage/etc. for now. Did I need to do anything in #1-14 that's within step 19?

Ammulder, thanks again for such quick response and for your time on this!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 98

I got everything set up here. A cheap bluetooth dongle I had lying around worked for me, but only after login. I still have to log in with a USB keyboard. I'm on a 5i3 here. The only problem I have is with sound. It's giving a pop during boot and a loud hum whenever used. I haven't tried using the DP for audio. I'm using the headphone jack.

No luck with a fresh install on my i7 I'm afraid - I still get audio dropouts and distortion via headphones, HDMI and Bluetooth ...

Looks like creating an aggregate audio device may resolve my audio issue. I did some research into OS X audio issues in general, and found some info about audio issues similar to mine that appeared in Mavericks 10.9.2 for some users. Apparently creating an aggregate audio device resolved their issue so I figured I'd give that a try on the NUC.

Essentially, I created an aggregate device (via Utilities>Audio Midi Setup) that used the Built-in Line Input and Built-in Line Output as subdevices, then went to System Preferences>Sound and selected the aggregate device for output and input.

So far audio through headphones is perfect when the aggregate device is selected for input and output. Audio via a bluetooth speaker (UE Boom 2) is also flawless provided the input is left on the aggregate device. I will do some more testing and report back.

Looks like creating an aggregate audio device may resolve my audio issue. I did some research into OS X audio issues in general, and found some info about audio issues similar to mine that appeared in Mavericks 10.9.2 for some users. Apparently creating an aggregate audio device resolved their issue so I figured I'd give that a try on the NUC.

Essentially, I created an aggregate device (via Utilities>Audio Midi Setup) that used the Built-in Line Input and Built-in Line Output as subdevices, then went to System Preferences>Sound and selected the aggregate device for output and input.

I don't understand. Could you walk me through this?

One addition may be useful:

Make SIP(System Integrity Protection) full disabled by modify config.plist.

CsrActiveConfig 0x3 => 0x67.

[source]
https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/3kkvzt/el_capitan_gm_release_candidate_fully_working/

I don't understand. Could you walk me through this?

I followed steps 1 - 4 in this guide:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

When you get to step 4, 'use' the Built-in Input and Built-in Output.

Once you have the new aggregate device created, scroll down to the end of the guide under the heading 'To set the System Setting ...' and follow those instructions to have your system sounds play from the aggregate device.

Now go to System Preferences > Sound and select the new aggregate device in both the output and input tabs. You should be able to get audio via headphones now. Let us know how you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back