Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
nuc5i7ryh, after update 10.11.4 can't boot into system,
Delete OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi, copy OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi,
working now.

10.11.4 update has CRIPPLED my NUC. I can't get into anything - Unibeast, recovery partition, main partition... AVOID AVOID AVOID.

Intel GPU drivers are changed, that's probably why. I will wait until someone fixes things.

10.11.4 update has CRIPPLED my NUC. I can't get into anything - Unibeast, recovery partition, main partition... AVOID AVOID AVOID.

After an app store update to 10.11.4 my Nuc was booting to a prohibited sign.

To recover I had to boot from my Unibeast generated installer key to the NUC disk. Then after mounting the EFI partition I edited EFI/CLOVER/config.plist to modify the value for CsrActiveConfig from 0x3 to 0x67. Looks like an issue w/ SIP and the 10.11.4 update.

-tt

After an app store update to 10.11.4 my Nuc was booting to a prohibited sign.

To recover I had to boot from my Unibeast generated installer key to the NUC disk. Then after mounting the EFI partition I edited EFI/CLOVER/config.plist to modify the value for CsrActiveConfig from 0x3 to 0x67. Looks like an issue w/ SIP and the 10.11.4 update.

-tt

Thank you for this info - you're describing exactly what happened to me so maybe this will help dig me out. However, when I try to boot from a Unibeast key (which is on 10.11.4 - I am stupid and didn't keep a stick around with the old version) I get the same prohibited sign. Is your Unibeast key on the old version? I tried rolling my Unibeast key back to 10.11.3 (which was HARD because Apple doesn't make old versions available, and the Unibeast installer complained about the file I found being corrupt so I had to do a roundabout Clover installation) but when I do that I get the same result as when I try to boot from recovery partition - it gets stuck on 'crazy garbled loading screen' and never recovers.

Smooth 10.11.4 update...
1. Update to the latest Clover_v2.3k_r3354 version, which installs OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi to EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
2. Delete OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi in EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
3. Apply 10.11.4 update
4. Restart

I'll give the 10.11.4 update a spin in the next day or two and update the guide accordingly. It sounds like maybe the OsxAptioFixDrv problem has reversed itself -- it used to only work with with the non-2 version, and now maybe only works with the 2 version?

Thank you for this info - you're describing exactly what happened to me so maybe this will help dig me out. However, when I try to boot from a Unibeast key (which is on 10.11.4 - I am stupid and didn't keep a stick around with the old version) I get the same prohibited sign. Is your Unibeast key on the old version? I tried rolling my Unibeast key back to 10.11.3 (which was HARD because Apple doesn't make old versions available, and the Unibeast installer complained about the file I found being corrupt so I had to do a roundabout Clover installation) but when I do that I get the same result as when I try to boot from recovery partition - it gets stuck on 'crazy garbled loading screen' and never recovers.

I was in the same situation as you, I had to recreate a usb boot key using unibeast and a fresh download of the El Capitan installer from the app store. I also refreshed all the dependencies defined in this guide, so everything was newly downloaded. The USB key wiped clean (Disk Utility "Erase" from the key and not the existing partition on the key) and then prepped per this guide.

To boot the NUC, I inserted the USB key into the NUC then hit F10 at the fleeting BIOS prompt then selected the USB device to boot from. Then from clover on the USB device I selected a boot from the NUC hard drive. After that booting the NUC drive from the USB clover I mounted the NUC EFI volume and manually moved the existing /Volume/EFI/EFI directory aside then ran the post-install steps from this guide. As a last, additional, step I edited /Volume/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist and made the change to CsrAcriveConfig changing it from 0x3 to 0x67. The NUC was then able to boot from the NUC drive clover to my 10.11.4 install.

I was in the same situation as you, I had to recreate a usb boot key using unibeast and a fresh download of the El Capitan installer from the app store. I also refreshed all the dependencies defined in this guide, so everything was newly downloaded. The USB key wiped clean (Disk Utility "Erase" from the key and not the existing partition on the key) and then prepped per this guide.

To boot the NUC, I inserted the USB key into the NUC then hit F10 at the fleeting BIOS prompt then selected the USB device to boot from. Then from clover on the USB device I selected a boot from the NUC hard drive. After that booting the NUC drive from the USB clover I mounted the NUC EFI volume and manually moved the existing /Volume/EFI/EFI directory aside then ran the post-install steps from this guide. As a last, additional, step I edited /Volume/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist and made the change to CsrAcriveConfig changing it from 0x3 to 0x67. The NUC was then able to boot from the NUC drive clover to my 10.11.4 install.

Can you confirm whether you have OsxAptioFixDrv or OsxAptioFix2Drv in EFI/CLOVER/driver64UEFI/ on the EFI partition of your boot drive after this procedure? I'm wondering whether it was that change rather than the SIP change that made the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back